shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire or Alexandrite engagement ring?? Help!!

Sapphire or Alexandrite?

• Blue Sapphire

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Color Change Alexandrite

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Neither!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
I thought I finally found the perfect center stone for my engagement ring, but then I came across the most gorgeous alexandrite and now my bf and I can't decide. ( Neither of us has ever seen an alexandrite in person, just in photos.) Both gems are around the same size, about the same price, both great quality (from what I can see), and they'd also both look amazing in the setting we're imagining. We're trying to select something beautiful, unique, but timeless enough for us to still like 20yrs from now. We'd love to set it in a 3 stone design with a pave band from VC. Which would you choose for an engagement ring like that?

We'd appreciate any and all advice from others who had to make a choice like this before!! ... and any alexandrite and sapphire lovers!! :wavey:

Sapphire_1.jpg
3.7 Carats
9.4 x 7.5
Unheated
Madagascar
Velvety Blue

Alexandrite.jpg
3 Carats
9.2 x 7.3
Unheated
India
Blueish Green to Reddish Purple

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd strongly dis-recommend an Alex for e-ring.

They are too much a collector stone and need study and time.

They will rarely (say never) look as green or red as in the picture even if you always carry a torch with you and switch off all other lights.

Alex is too difficult for such an occasion. The friends (in mixed light) will ask "Oh, you got a purple-brown gemstone?"

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love sapphires and alex. You have chosen a Madagascan sapphire, which are a particular favorite of mine because of the often found quality that is in your stone - that saturated, velvety blue. Just be careful that your stone is not too dark in person.

As for the alex, I think its critical that you see it in hand, and make sure you like its two extreme colors, and the inbetween color when the light is mixed (the majority of the time).

Oh, and congratulations on making much progress! Good for you - and it sounds like you are doing it together. Even nicer :appl:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I'm not a huge fan of Alexandrites...

In general they look a shade of mud because most light is mixed - in photographs they use specific lighting to get the two shades and you would need to make a deliberate attempt to recreate the same. 99% of the time they will be a murky brown (red and green mixed).

I have seen a couple of amazing Alexandrites but one was £35k and the other £54k so hardly pocket change, and they just had a great colour change under specific lighting - the rest of the time they were both brownish purple.

Please do see some Alexandrites in person as they are definitely an acquired taste.

LovingDiamonds is the resident Alex expert here and has a great collection.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would pick the sapphire based on the hardness of it. It would be more durable than an Alexandrite, especially in an ering where the intent is normally to be wearing the ring on a daily basis.

Good luck with what ever you go with - but that's a pretty sweet looking sapphire you have there!!!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I read your question thinking "Oh I think you might be disappointed at the IRL performance of an alex" only to then scroll down and see Ed's comment
"Oh, you got a purple-brown gemstone?"
:lol: I couldn't have put it more succinctly :lol: As others have said the reality doesn't often live up to the romanticism and those pictures ;))

Go for a beautiful sapphire which will glow and wink at you every time you look at it now and into the future, however I echo MB that it should be BLUE not navy. It will probably darken a little once set and the darker it is, the more likely it is to black out at night/in low light.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered a color change sapphire? Some of them are dramatically purple, then obviously blue. The in-between color is a lovely purplish blue. So you can enjoy the change while enjoying the mixed color. :appl: I have a blue to purple sapphire and I love it, it is WAY more interesting to me than a plain blue stone. It did take me a couple of years to find it (I got it from Gemrite) though, and I sent back a lot of rejects to cutters all over the US.

Gemfix has a couple of color change sapphires, run your cursor over them to see the change. They're not the brightest stones, but they give you an idea; http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

Gemfix also has some color change garnets, and some of them can give you the idea of how two colors can look kinda meh in some lights. http://www.gemfix.com/garnet_malaya.html A couple of them look almost like alexandrite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most alexandrites are not that pretty, but the ones that are can be very pricey. I personally think they're overrated as gemstones (as well as color change garnets). I know LD loves them, but she has some really nice examples.

I rather go for a sapphire, but it may take a while to find the right one. However, if you do go for alexandrite, at least it's a durable stone (8.5 on the hardness scale).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Ed. Sometime in the future, you may see a more expensive, top alexandrite, and not look at that alexandrite the same. I think you should take time looking at many alexs before buying. I am assuming it is not top quality because those are usually more expensive than sapphires. I know someone who has a grayish medium sapphires, and after seeing a top color sapphire, she doesn't feel the same about her sapphire.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE WITH ED! (Sorry Ed!). His comments do not equate to real life for me (again, apologies Ed). The picture of the Alex you've linked to above is from Multicolour. So, first thing you need to do is ask David Wein to send you additional photos and a video if he can. A 3ct Alex (a good one) will be very very pricey. Compare it to other 3ct stones he has to judge how it's priced. That'll give you an indication of the quality.

Now then .............

All of my alex (without exception) are green in daylight - some are a forest green, others are a slightly lighter green but they are ALL green in daylight. They've been mistaken for tourmalines and emeralds by people working in jewellery stores (ok, not educated in gemstones although you think they would have been) but that gives you an indication that they are green! (Good ones anyway)! Yes, you can buy weird orangey/brownie looking things but for me, they're not "proper" Alexandrites (perhaps substitute the word "proper" for "good quality"!).

Only very good examples have a colour change and if they're excellent quality they will change to an amethyst looking lovely purple/pink in incandescent lighting. Bad ones don't change colour. Poorer quality ones go a very strange murky muddy colour and should be avoided like the plague.

People have mentioned above about mixed lighting conditions? The most I see in mixed lighting is half green with shades of purple peeping through - not muddy or brown colours at all. Again, if you have a good quality Alex you will never see muddy or horrible colours - it just won't happen.

However, with a good gemstone dealer, you pay for what you get in Alexandrite terms. If you pay absolutely top dollar with a reputable source, you WILL get a lovely gemstone.

You do have to see some however as they are not for everyone. You can see from the messages above that people have either (a) never seen a good one or (b) seen a number but poor examples or (c) just don't like them! Very few people have seen top quality Alex and so this is where the "marmite" factor plays a part i.e. you love or hate them with no middle ground! Sorry if the Marmite thing doesn't translate well!

Having said all of that, a beautiful sapphire makes my world rock as well BUT it has to be a knock out beautiful blue with no grey or black and not too dark or light! They're probably easier (believe it or not) to find than a good alex!

Once you've seen the best you can afford in both gemstones, my question to you would be, do you want a blue stone or a colour change stone?

One factor you must consider is that Alexandrites DO NOT photograph well. Photos can be highly misleading and deceptive and show a colour change that doesn't exist. So if you decide this is the route for you, make sure there is a cast iron returns policy in case what you get is NOT what you saw in the photograph/video.

Right, I'll get off my soap box now! Sorry! :oops:

ps I really really really wish I could photograph these blinking things to help convert a few people! Pandora - you know where I am if you ever want an Alex road trip!!!!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a CS expert, like at all, so this is just from the perspective of a fellow female...

I personally would not choose a color changing stone for an engagement ring. I feel like the color changing quality is a weird trait for a ring that is supposed to symbolize fidelity and commitment. But that's just me.

I also prefer the cushion shape of the sapphire over the long oval of the alex. The sapphire looks really pretty in the photo, but it will darken once you set it (you probably already know that) so just be prepared. I love intense colored sapphire as well.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LD,

I didn't mean to say that Alex is a sad brown pebble or so. Far from it.

A good CC (in any variety) is one of the most awe inspiring (and costly) sights in the gem world.

That said, as an e-stone, I think, it's not so suitable because it is such a complicated gem. It needs time and appreciation to be understood. One needs to learn to see the different colors for what they are and how they mix in 95% of all light situations.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok Ed, you're forgiven! Well, almost anyway! :lol:

One thing I don't understand is why you say that 95% of the time they show mixed colours in all lighting conditions????? I really don't see or experience this and in gemstones that have a strong colour change (and this is of course what you should buy) this really shouldn't occur. The only time I see mixed colours is, say, at the end of the day when daylight is fading and you've switched the lights on in the house. So you have a weak mix of natural/incandescent lighting but even then, the mix shouldn't be strange or bad looking.

Despite my rant earlier :oops: I'm not blind to the negative side of Alex (or other colour change gemstones) as I appreciate they can be an acquired taste as you very astutely say AND there are more bad ones on the market than good ones. For me however there is a romantisicm and it never ceases to fill me with awe that nature has created something so beautiful! :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphirering|1327694589|3113268 said:
I'm not a CS expert, like at all, so this is just from the perspective of a fellow female...

I personally would not choose a color changing stone for an engagement ring. I feel like the color changing quality is a weird trait for a ring that is supposed to symbolize fidelity and commitment. But that's just me.

I also prefer the cushion shape of the sapphire over the long oval of the alex. The sapphire looks really pretty in the photo, but it will darken once you set it (you probably already know that) so just be prepared. I love intense colored sapphire as well.

Oh - had not thought of that effect! Good point Sapphire ring. I think I agree with that for an engagement ring, but for a RHR - change away! :razz:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally never saw an alexandrite, or color change garnet, that I liked, but I would defer to LD, as she has many that she loves, and they're more beautiful than anything I have ever seen in person. She is also far more familiar and knowledgeable about alexandrite than I ever could be. The really good ones are very rare, I think more so than a good sapphire, so it might make your search a little more challenging.

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you all for the advice and your opinions!! I don't think I could have learned so much about alex in such a short time any other way! :appl: I think sapphirering & enerchi make a good point about it being a little odd to have a color changing stone in a ring that is supposed to symbolize fidelity. My bf thought that was a fair point as well. I guess we're more old school than I thought! So, we'll go for the sapphire - provided we can convince the vendor to send it to us before it makes its debut at Tucson!

I still love the idea of alexandrite, but in this case I think it would make a better rhr or pendant. And, I do need to see a few in person to know how I feel about the possibility of having mixed or brownish colors in certain lighting. Right now, that does not sound appealing and I was really scared by Ed's warning! Although I do believe LD that they are not all that way!! LD, would you happen to have any photos or links that show what good alex looks like in different types of lighting, besides the generic vendor lighting? If not, no worries, I will learn in time. :)

I can't wait to see the sapphire in person... I hope its not "navy blue", and that it just looks dark from the black background in the photo!!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Alex can symbolise that a marriage is a union between two different and unique people (two colours), seen and appreciated on their own merits, yet seamlessly combined as one, and married forever together in a unique and beautiful way, never again to be just one or another colour, but a seamless blend of both.

A marriage is about playing to the strengths of both people at different times of day and at different occasions just like an Alex! Two, but one, and immensely beautiful, and not immediately understood by everyone else, but precious and complicated and treasured for ages.

Frankly, you can read anything you want into anything!

Oh, and I think fidelity as unwavering and unchanging is bunk. It is far more important to be able to be tempted repeatedly, and yet to always make the conscious decision to never stray. :))

P.S. I voted alex! :tongue:

P.P.S: Sapphires are very classic and lovely and make an excellent choice too.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm a big fan of alexandrites as well, and I agree with everything LD has said. My alexandrite is tiny but has a very lovely color change and never looks brown or muddy. It's usually green but changes to amethyst-purple in low incandescent lighting. I would take an alex over a sapphire any day, but that's just my personal preference. They're both hard, durable stones that will stand up to daily wear...and, unfortunately, they both cost a pretty penny when they're of nice size and good quality.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ColoredStonesLady|1327887546|3114555 said:
Wow, thank you all for the advice and your opinions!! I don't think I could have learned so much about alex in such a short time any other way! :appl: I think sapphirering & enerchi make a good point about it being a little odd to have a color changing stone in a ring that is supposed to symbolize fidelity. My bf thought that was a fair point as well. I guess we're more old school than I thought! So, we'll go for the sapphire - provided we can convince the vendor to send it to us before it makes its debut at Tucson!

I still love the idea of alexandrite, but in this case I think it would make a better rhr or pendant. And, I do need to see a few in person to know how I feel about the possibility of having mixed or brownish colors in certain lighting. Right now, that does not sound appealing and I was really scared by Ed's warning! Although I do believe LD that they are not all that way!! LD, would you happen to have any photos or links that show what good alex looks like in different types of lighting, besides the generic vendor lighting? If not, no worries, I will learn in time. :)

I can't wait to see the sapphire in person... I hope its not "navy blue", and that it just looks dark from the black background in the photo!!

This is such a difficult request because honestly anybody who says they can photograph alex correctly is either super talented or tells lies! I have vendor photos of one of my stones and my inadequate photos! The green in my Alex is a forest green so you'll have to assume that's what you're seeing - add a bit more depth to the green in the photo below and it's spot on! The purple/pink/red is absolutely what I see in incandescent lighting. Honest vendors will tell you that they have to colour correct photos to get the photo to replicate what they see so as you can see, you're asking for the impossible!!!!

Years ago, on this forum, I was moaning that I couldn't photograph my Alex correctly and somebody very kindly colour corrected the pendant photo on the left to replicate what I can only say is absolutely the colour I see in this particular gemstone. The photo on the right is what I see in incandescent lighting and hasn't been colour corrected.

BTW, I don't see anything weird in having a changing gemstone as an e-ring as it symbolises romanticsim, passion and hidden secrets shared by two people! A very different take on what has already been expressed!

If you search on my name I'm sure you'll be able to find a few more photos :bigsmile: I hope these help - please don't be put off alex. A good one (but I stress it has to be a good one) is honestly phenomenal. :love:

Alex ring 3.06ct trim.jpg

Alexandrite 3.06ct plus .44 dia incandescent 1.jpg

Alexandrite Pendant 1.56ct.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous examples LD!! I'm definitely drawn to the ring example - yummy!

It is true, how you interpret something can put a whole new spin on things!:
LD -BTW, I don't see anything weird in having a changing gemstone as an e-ring as it symbolises romanticsim, passion and hidden secrets shared by two people! A very different take on what has already been expressed!

Tristan C - Alex can symbolise that a marriage is a union between two different and unique people (two colours), seen and appreciated on their own merits, yet seamlessly combined as one, and married forever together in a unique and beautiful way, never again to be just one or another colour, but a seamless blend of both.

Must be how psychics and palm readers 'predict the future' :D

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha! Found a photo that shows an alex in mixed lighting and is in mid-change from green to purple. Can you see it's more green at the bottom and getting towards purple at the top? This is not a great photo but it gives you an indication of why I'm conversing strongly with Ed about this! This is absolutely the worst any of my Alex will look. Brown/muddy? No it's not!

Putting this into perspective, this will only stay this way for a very very very brief period as you're normally in direct light or incandescent lighting so this is not anywhere near even 10% of the day!

I think that the ones that Ed is referring to are the horrible grey/green ones that go an insipid orange colour in incandescent lighting. These are not expensive and not good quality and I'm proud to say I don't own any! :lol: I'll see if I can find a photo on a website and post up.

Alexandrite Green Pear.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a great photo of how an alex looks in mixed lighting. This is NOT one of mine and I've taken the photo from the Multicolour website but it really demonstrates the effect well. This is what I see in my gems (again, no brown or muddiness).

Alexandrite example of mixed lighting.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, last photo as I'm sure I'm boring you to death!

This one shows an Alex that looks brown and is highly included. I don't find this attractive in the least. This is a 10ct example and despite its size, is very very cheap (for obvious reasons).

The only good thing about an Alex that is this included is that sometimes the silk enhances the colour change but I still (personally) wouldn't buy it or anything like it. That's personal choice and others may love it but if people have seen smaller examples like this, I can understand the brown/muddy comments.

Alexandrite example of brown.jpg

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Let me say that I am a huge fan of color-change stones. I have to agree with Ed that they do take appreciation. I have a color-change garnet that I absolutely love and that has a lovely color change from green to purple (if you do a search I posted pics of it at one point), but in a lot of mixed lighting and fluorescent lighting (boo; I work under fluorescents) it is gray (think of the green-to-purple pic LD posted only with a little loss of saturation). Now, I happen not to have problems with gray, so I actually like the personality it brings the stone, but if you have not seen alexandrites/other-color-change-stones in person I think you may be disappointed. I echo other posters in saying you should look at some alexandrites.

The sapphire you posted seems awfully dark to me; I don't know what it would look like under less bright lighting conditions. Also see if you can get pics NOT on a black background, as those flatter the stone.

I really like what TristanC said. And I agree: a color-change stone is showing different aspects of the same fidelity and love -- love can look very different at different times. (Let's just say that my husband made me swoon by taking our 2-year-old to the park so I could sleep!) But of course sapphires are very nice too (I own far more sapphires than any other stone).

Why not a color-change sapphire, after all? Those things can be really beautiful. Hm, I may be talking myself into buying one...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's alexandrite and there's alexandrite. The truly nice ones that show a strong colour change isn't going to look muddy in mixed light BUT will cost an arm and a leg. They are also more difficult to find. You'll have a greater selection of choices if you go the route of a blue sapphire, not to mention lower cost.

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
I'm so sorry for the extremely late reply!! The "notify me when a reply is posted" was somehow unchecked on this topic for me! :confused: :confused: I apologize!! Forgive me!!

@ LD thank you for all of the amazing photos of alexandrite changing colors. I have never seem anything like these elsewhere, and they are really helpful. You have an AMAZING collection of alex!!

I saw a few nice alex IRL which helped alot. But a sizable one was way, way out of my price range. I was surprised at how much they sparkle in real life, that doesn't seem to be captured well in photos. Someday maybe I'll be able to get a nice small alex pendant. I realize the green to pink are not my favorite. They look strange to me in mixed lighting - kind of like 2 colors of cotton candy! The blue to purple, or blue to green is gorgeous though! I love that blue to green pendant!! :love:

@ deorwine you were very right about that sapphire being too dark. On a white background it was 70% extinct! I went with a sapphire that while it doesn't change color, is a dramatically different blue in different lighting and has very little extinction. perspective.jpg

The more time I send on pricescope, the longer and longer my list or gemstones to buy gets...

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Sapphire.

I love sapphire, even before the Diana/Kate craze. :) I think your sapphire is beautiful!

I've never seen an alexandrite in person so I can't really say. I do think sapphire might be more durable though I am not sure.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Showing that stone on your hand - it really pops and will have good presence and finger coverage. When do we get to see the finished ring?? It should be amazing on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results