shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire in Antique Setting

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a Chrono (you know what I mean ;-) )

Keep the sapphire - it's beautiful.

Sell the setting, you'll never be happy with it and you're not wearing it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't see that setting as particularly youthful; in fact, it has an almost vintage quality to me. But it doesn't matter what we think; it's clear that you like the stone but not in that particular setting, so you should reset it!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
My goodness it is gorgeous but if it makes you a little sick to your stomach to sell it then don't.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thankful to have a place to voice my thoughts aloud and to have friends share their perspective and reasoning. I like the setting but it does not seem to suit me. Perhaps that is the reason it isn't often favoured. Do you think the setting alone is sellable? Do you think it suits the sapphire?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1353731338|3313814 said:
I am thankful to have a place to voice my thoughts aloud and to have friends share their perspective and reasoning. I like the setting but it does not seem to suit me. Perhaps that is the reason it isn't often favoured. Do you think the setting alone is sellable? Do you think it suits the sapphire?

Yes, it is definitely sellable, and yes it suits the sapphire. I could see that sapphire in a host of different settings, but I think it would look best in a sweet art deco setting; with perhaps a bit more detailing than the current one.

I love the idea of you gifting the sapphire some day :praise:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really do not know about the setting, because my eyes are on the stone. Why not wear it a little bit as it is till the perfectionist in you finds the setting to your liking? The stone is awesome, and round, too! What a beauty! You are lucky, all stones seem to look good on your skin. =)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow beautiful sapphire and I love the setting it is in. That is just the kind of stone/ring I have been casually looking for, for my youngest daughter. My oldest knows she will (many years from now) inherit my diamond anniversary band. But I don't have an equivelant ring for my youngest (and she is a September baby, and like sapphires to boot). I am also a September baby, but don't care most of the sapphires out there, but that sapphire is a stunner.

Anyways, I think you are lucky to have found both the setting AND the beautiful stone to go with it.

diamondhearts

Rough_Rock
Looks like a gorgeous medium cornflower blue one ..love it

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1353731338|3313814 said:
I think that the sapphire and ring are both lovely. My guess is that both are smaller than you like to wear. I think that if you wanted to enjoy looking at that sapphire, you would wear the ring because the setting is basically there to keep the sapphire safely attached to your finger.

So, I'm thinking that if you reset the sapphire, it would go into a larger ring. Now, the question is, would you wear that larger ring, or would the sapphire still be too small for your taste? If so, you may as well keep or sell the entire ring and not bother with resetting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that sapphire and it looks divine in that ring. I'm glad you're going to keep it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Glad to see you again TL!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to see you too TL, I miss your posts!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
You are always the practical one, the voice of reason.

Arkteia,
My eyes are on the stone only whenever I wear it too. Rounds are such an easy shape to set and wear.

Part Gypsy,
When you mentioned looking for something like this for your youngest, is it because the size and design seems more suited to a younger lady?

Diamondhearts,
Thank you. This is one of my fun pieces, not important serious jewellery. It's great to be able to have a bit of eye candy without having the ring be the center of attention.

Fly Girl,
You are so right on this and it is easier to realize this when reading it now. Both the ring and stone are too small for me. I do love the sapphire very much though, which is why I've left the setting as is so that I can wear it any time should I wish to. At this point, I think the setting is a convenient and safe stone holder. If reset, I may not wear it either because the stone is small. At the same time, I am having a difficult time even contemplating parting with it.

Sonoma,
Thanks. I've looked at JansJewells many times in the past but am not sold on the workmanship of their pieces. Whilst I love wearing silver bands, I am not mind clean about it as a gemstone setting.

TL,
Hey! Great to see you pop in but looks like she's gone underground again. :(sad

SB621

Ideal_Rock
LD|1353613076|3312996 said:
It's not a Chrono (you know what I mean ;-) )

Keep the sapphire - it's beautiful.

Sell the setting, you'll never be happy with it and you're not wearing it.

+1

The sapphire is gorgeous and I think later on down the road you will find the perfect project/setting/ gift for it.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
"I've looked at JansJewells many times in the past but am not sold on the workmanship of their pieces."

Absolutely true. I have that setting in white gold. While the craftsmanship is not the best, it is acceptable (to me) as I Love that setting. I just don't look at the details on it too closely.

" Whilst I love wearing silver bands, I am not mind clean about it as a gemstone setting."

Understood. I'm trying to get myself to set some things in silver but it hasn't happened yet as I struggle with it, also.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarah and LD,
I'm starting to think you might be right after all. My pink tourmaline is only a teensy bit larger yet I enjoy wearing it because the setting is big and blingy without overpowering it. For now, I'll probably keep it as is for convenience's sake until the right setting comes along.

Sonoma,
You and I think alike. :))

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. That is the highest compliment one could get. However, your gemology knowledge certainly runs circles around me.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, it has to do with lots of things. A) I wouldn't want to gift a ring that would outshine a potential future engagement ring, b) I myself am partial to smaller rings, and of course would ahem "wear" it until she was ready for it (actually for my daughter, she likes the bigger the better!), and c) of course budget. I'd rather have smaller high quality stone, than a bigger but lower quality.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's adorable and would definitely keep it :)

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not so glad your keeping it! The stone should definitely be sold on preloved in my humble opinion :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonoma,
Give it time; your knowledge and experience will increase.

Part Gypsy,
Your explanation makes sense but trust me, I would never mind if my mother gifted me with a ring flashier than my e-ring. :naughty: :bigsmile:

Jereni,
Thank you!

Hathalove,
Ummm....you don't like the ring?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results