shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue or yellow sapphire for engagement ring?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on Minou's comments to Chrono. :lickout:

Here's a picture of an 8 mm square cushion (though not blue) in a halo, on a size 4.5 finger (who knew I was the same size as Chrono - do keep me in mind, Chrono, if you decide to list any of your beauties :lol: ). As for size/every day wear, it depends on your lifestyle, I think. I'm not very hard on my hands, and I feel pretty comfy wearing this ring on a fairly regular basis. It definitely gets noticed!

tourmhalo.jpg

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1344055946|3245773 said:
+1 on Minou's comments to Chrono. :lickout:

Here's a picture of an 8 mm square cushion (though not blue) in a halo, on a size 4.5 finger (who knew I was the same size as Chrono - do keep me in mind, Chrono, if you decide to list any of your beauties :lol: ). As for size/every day wear, it depends on your lifestyle, I think. I'm not very hard on my hands, and I feel pretty comfy wearing this ring on a fairly regular basis. It definitely gets noticed!
That's a great size stone! Beautiful too. Thank you for showing me! Now that I'm seeing the size in relation to the finger it's actually likely the size I'd go for... either an 8mm cushion or an 9x7ish elongated cushion.

I think I'd probably not wear it to work much (work in hospital as a nurse) but if I got a community job or something less icky I'd wear it daily for sure. That's why I'm choosing a sapphire... I want it to be as durable as possible so I can get the most wear out of it :)

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1343927011|3244890 said:
I think my mini round is a slightly violetish blue of (medium light to) medium tone and (medium to) strong saturation. Not an ideal stone but it was the right size to fit an empty antique setting.

Thanks for the kind words about my spinel. It is currently being set with two accent pale pink diamonds. I already have a halo setting and wanted something different.

Stone 1 does seem really dark. Then again, it also looks like it was photographed under low lighting conditions. I would definitely be looking around for something similar to Stone 2 and Stone 3.
I'm totally feeling like I'm gonna need to see stones in person before my boyfriend buys anything. Part of me feels the need to completely surrender control so I can be totally surprised... but the other part of me knows he likes dark stones and I want him to choose something not too dark so it still has good light performance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB,
A 8 mm halo looks perfect on your finger! We could swap rings if we lived close by. :lol:

Lin_NY
Colour is intensely personal for many of us, moreso when it is for an e-ring stone that is for forever. If your BF is open to letting you select a few sapphires, then he makes the final call, you get the best of both worlds. You'll still get surprised because you don't know which one he picked but you also know he cannot go wrong because you like all those you've narrowed down.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1344257327|3246759 said:
NKOTB,
A 8 mm halo looks perfect on your finger! We could swap rings if we lived close by. :lol:

Lin_NY
Colour is intensely personal for many of us, moreso when it is for an e-ring stone that is for forever. If your BF is open to letting you select a few sapphires, then he makes the final call, you get the best of both worlds. You'll still get surprised because you don't know which one he picked but you also know he cannot go wrong because you like all those you've narrowed down.
I like the idea of picking a few. Thanks for the suggestion!

ChelsNicole

Rough_Rock
I realize this thread is super old, but I ran across it because we are also currently shopping for a yellow sapphire for an e-ring :D NKOTB, I love the tourmaline ring that you posted!!! Any chance I could get a close-up? We're also thinking of going for a halo/side stone setting to bring some sparkle to the ring, but I know full halos are everywhere these days. Your ring looks so unique!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results