shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile Princess Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
In my search I have narrowed my decision down to these two stones....both are close in price.....

1)

Carat weight: 1.24
Cut: Signature Princess
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 69.8%
Table %: 68%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.97x5.92x4.05 mm
Crown height: 10.1%
Length/width ratio: 1.01

2)

Carat weight: 1.36
Cut: Signature Princess
Color: G
Clarity: IF
Depth %: 70.0%
Table %: 69%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: Small
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.04x6.00x4.20 mm
Crown height: 12.5%
Length/width ratio: 1.01

The two big differences are the IF clairty in the second one as opposed to the E color in the first one....and a little bigger as far as the carat weight on the second one.......how are the crown heights on these? Are they ok? I am leaning towards the second one because of the clarity and a little bigger stone.....I just wish the second one was an E color....cant have everything though.....Or does the E color trump the bigger stone and the IF clarity? Can I go wrong with either of these choices? Your help is much appreciated everyone.....

Thank You....

Andrew

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Have you read the threads on the new AGS cut parameters? If not, you might want to. Also, you really can''t say which stone is better without an ideal scope image as cut really does determine which stone is best. That being said, these stones both look pretty good to me
1.gif

Chiefrocka

Rough_Rock
Please explain these new parameters and who or what brand currently cuts to these standards.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/27/2005 7:11:40 PM
Author: Chiefrocka
Please explain these new parameters and who or what brand currently cuts to these standards.
Hey Chief,

The AGS parameters are not as simple as they used to be, and not as simple as the cut parameters of other labs for rounds.

To start, all proportions work together in their parameters, and one always has to consider a full set of proportions, and not each proportion separately. In the case of princess-cuts, this means table size-2 main pavilion angles-2 main crown angles. And even this set of proportions only gives you limited info regarding the final cut-grade.

In AGS, the stone is measured completely, and that 3D-scan of the actual stone is entered into their ray-tracing program. This program measures light return, leakage and contrast-patterns (important for scintillation). And this measurement is done on a stone that one looks straight at, and at different degrees of tilt. Also, the software measures from where the light originates that a viewer can see returning from the stone.

This results in a high number of scores on different aspects, and they are compared to minimum criteria for each score. If a stone scores within the top-category on each score, it will get the AGS-Ideal grade on light performance.

Live long,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2005 6:27:55 PM
Author:Drewgasm

The two big differences are the IF clairty in the second one as opposed to the E color in the first one....and a little bigger as far as the carat weight on the second one.......how are the crown heights on these? Are they ok? I am leaning towards the second one because of the clarity and a little bigger stone.....I just wish the second one was an E color....
Do you want "IF" because of some symbolic value unrelated to the look of the stone ? There is no visual difference between IF and VS1 - ever.

The difference between G and E is very slight in person: you should be able to see it if the stones are presented under "grading conditions" (= loose, culet up, side by side and under controlled white lighting), but most find it difficult to tell the such difference in set stones and it takes a certain amount of experience to guess the grade of a stone on someone's hand without any refference. I would not take that challenge...

Actually, G/VS sounds like a better deal to me: size and cut (brilliance) show immediately to anyone, regardless of their experience with diamonds.
2.gif

If Blue Nile doesn't have the right stone in their selection, oh well.... there are many other sellers out there.

How about 1.6 cts F-VS1 or SI1 ? At least these some with detailed descriptions and pictures - allot more detail than BN gives away with their selection.

Table & depth & crown height do not describe the brilliance of a princess cut all that well (how well I can't quite measure, but AGA does not pretend to predict brilliance with these numbers to begin with). Perhaps someone would know to add further detail here...

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
Thank You Val.........I guess the "IF* is more of a symoblic value to me.......the whiteflash one you listed looked nice too...I had my mind made up though that I would never get anything less than a VS1......I guess I was going with blue nile because they have the engagement ring and band that my girlfriend wants (white gold with blue saphires) ......I can buy the diamond and have it set all in one shot....none of the other online diamond stores had the ring I wanted.....so no use buying a diamond, then the ring and band and having to send it or take it somewhere to get it set......Of course, I might just be lazy.....anyway, I appreciate your help.....If anyone else has opinions or suggestions for me with my two choices.....Im all ears......

Thank You All......

Andrew

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2005 11:37:08 AM
Author: Drewgasm

I had my mind made up though that I would never get anything less than a VS1......

I guess I was going with blue nile because they have the engagement ring and band that my girlfriend wants
Cool
1.gif

...but, 1.6 cts sounded better (that F/VS1 is only a bit more expensive than G-IF and larger), and the setting should be just one phone call away anywhere: BN might be getting theirs off the same catalogs as WF or any other seller for that matter.

Oh well, that's just some 0.2 worth. It doesn't mean that there is any serious reason to look for a better deal: no matter what, there's always going to be one among so many diamonds !

G-VVS1? .. 8K

155_large

LIN TO SOURCE

After all, VVS1 is what IF becomes after a month of wear (take a look).

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
Any comments on a crown height? A minimum and a maximum?

Thanks....

Andrew

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2005 7:05:08 PM
Author: Drewgasm
Any comments on a crown height? A minimum and a maximum?

Thanks....

Andrew

Dunno... that measurement works or does not depending on the rest: if the stone is brilliant, it measn the numbers are right !

Aside AGS with their new grading system, I don''t think anyone has figured how this works the other way around as a rule ( i.e. what crown height paired with what other numbers produces a brilliant stone).
34.gif

Sorry for the confusion... If other such results exist, I have not heard of them.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have modelled the 1.36ct stone using the limited amount of data you have given.

I have done this Drew as much for the people who are advising you so they really deeply understand that they can not give advice on princess and other fancy cut diamonds cut quality from the scant infomation from the type of data that comes from a scan that does not give both crown and pavilion angles.

These outlines have the same crown height table size, girdle thickness and total depth as you quoted. (BTW it is likely from its weight that the hidden pavilion angle on the stone concerned is the deeper one on the left). The pavilion here varies from 48 to 58 degrees.

If the stone has additional or wider "chevron" facets - then the angle of the pavilion angle 1 - can be even greater than what I can easily model in DiamCalc. I saw a stone the other day that had more than 70 degree pavilion 1''s.

Now that''s what i call a Fat Bottomed Princess

fatbottom1.jpg

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Garry........

much appreciated......

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results