clarity

Blue Compared: 2.35ct Sapphire vs. 2.74ct Spinel

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone 1:
2.35ct
7.846 mm
Round
Included, but looks sleepy at arms length (If this was eyeclean, I never would be able to afford it)
Gene Flanigan with Precision Gem
Untreated/heated Umba Sapphire

Stone 2:
2.74ct
8.3mm
Round
Eyeclean
Barry Bridgestock with Artistic Colored Stones
Blue Spinel

Both of these stones are color shifters to purple under fluorescent lighting. Funnily enough, they almost look the same color under fluorescent lights. I have not added any pictures of them under fluorescent lights, as my phone just makes them look gray and I don't know where the cords are for my cameras.

Lots and lots of pics...This first chunk was taken yesterday with diffused (read, gray skies and no sunshine) natural lighting

sapphire_v_spinel.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel2.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel3.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More yucky lighting, and some watery sunlight.

sapphire_v_spinel5.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel6.jpg

_2206.jpg

_2207.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More sapphire

sapphire5.jpg

_2208.jpg

_2209.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Better pictures finally

sapphire_v_spinel7.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel8.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel9.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel10.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More, still watery sunlight.

sapphire_v_spinel11.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel12.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel13.jpg

sapphire_v_spinel14.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More in a bit. Baby issues.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few from today, with sunlight this time.

sized.jpg

_2210.jpg

_2211.jpg

sized4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few more.

These were all taken with the iPhone 4s, the macro shots with the OlloClip

sized5.jpg

sized6.jpg

sized7.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vendor pics

I hope you enjoyed. I adore these two big beauties, and I wish I knew where my camera cords were, so I could do these justice.

gene_0.jpg

_2212.jpg

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous choices Freke! The spinel is my favorite for some bizarre reason that I can't pinpoint but both are beautiful! :appl: :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.7ctw of blue. Think I should make a three stone?

Third is a 2.61ct blue spinel cushion. Non-precision cut. Exhibits some half and half extinction, makes up for it with color (not under these lighting conditions).

Reveal lighting, at night.

gem_photobomb.jpg

gem_photobomb2.jpg

gem_photobomb3.jpg

gem_photobomb4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not going to lie, the sapphire does a glorious violet/cobalt thing under the Reveal lighting.

gem_photobomb5.jpg

gem_photobomb6.jpg

gem_photobomb7.jpg

gem_photobomb8.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
These were all taken with my iPhone, some with the addition of the OlloClip.

gem_photobomb9.jpg

gem_photobomb10.jpg

gem_photobomb11.jpg

gem_photobomb12.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I may have gone overboard...

gem_photobomb13.jpg

gem_photobomb14.jpg

gem_photobomb15.jpg

gem_photobomb16.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last ones.

The cushion will eventually be a somewhat simple necklace.

Big Blue will also be a ring, once again. I'm probably going to accent it with diamonds this time. I already have some initial ideas, mostly sprouting from my last thread, but no plans for it to be in the immediate future.

The sapphire a ring. I'm thinking I will go a completely different direction from Big Blue with the sapphire...No reason to have two big blue rings that look identical!

Hope I didn't go overboard with the pics!

gem_photobomb17.jpg

gem_photobomb18.jpg

gem_photobomb19.jpg

gem_photobomb20.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh! I forgot to mention the clarity issue. Many of these pictures were taken under extreme magnification, and I used lighting to enhance the inclusions. I intentionally took pictures of them because I think they are way cool. Especially in a couple of the pictures with the sunlight hitting them just so to make them sparkle.

So, while these inclusions looks terribly scary in a few of the pictures, as you can kind of tell from the more realistic "arms distance", they really only make the facets look a little fuzzy. Gene's cutting is superb, as usual, just a little bit fuzzified by the inclusions. Yes, that is the technical term.

I'm way pumped about said inclusions, because without them, there is no way I could ever afford an unheated sapphire that is this size or this color. Many kudos to Gene for daring to cut the rough, and even more Kudos for not trying to cut a smaller, cleaner stone!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
P.S. Almost 5 years from my start here on PS, and I finally FINALLY have a stone that is the same color as my avatar shoe.

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME. :cheeky: :naughty: :cheeky: :naughty: :cheeky: :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, Freke. Enormous fun to see them all together. I LOVE the sapphire's purpley duds; the inclusions make it more interesting & earthy. Super spinel too -- Barry's usual wonderful cutting. It's really neat to see how differently they disperse light. Can't wait to see them set, but they're so pretty naked!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is so pretty; such a true hue of blue, lovely violet indoor shift and is so dispersive. Seeing it next to the spinel, I can pick up the green in the spinel and also that it is less saturated. The inclusion photos did look scary, especially one in particular, but it looks clean in the faraway shots (realistic ones :)) ). You definitely got a good buy from Gene.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
That was really interesting, thanks for sharing Freke! I also love the spinel, the cut on it looks fantastic!!!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Very cool pics! I love the sapphire :love:

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I love the that the sapphire matches your avatar! Lol. :razz: I adore Big Blue, but the color change on the sapphire is very interesting. I think it would look great set in a halo pendant.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
You know, it's really interesting to see those bubbles and needles in the sapphire up close, and they leave no doubt that this is indeed a natural stone. The colour is lovely, btw. - in any lighting. Obviously, the spinel is less saturate, but it is a nicely cut stone. Enjoy them both!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
What a great comparison - I love the sapphire, inclusions and all. The color is awesome!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your kind words everyone. I had a few baby-free moments and decided to take advantage and photograph some of my blues. Even more fun to photograph them together, although much harder. I'm way excited about this stone, ok, these stones in general, and I had to share!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Gosh they're gorgeous!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooh, so much blue! Love it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once again you've rocked it, Freke!

Love the color shift aspect of the sapphire and love that it has equal saturation in each lighting situation. Amazed at the photography. The closeups are unbelievable; you really take great gemstone photos. We need to call Kenny over for him to enjoy these. You have chosen well and the sapphire and the spinel play off each other very well. Congrats!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol Minou! I have to admit, these must be around 10 times as large as any of the stones Kenny usually photographs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results