shape
carat
color
clarity

Blowing savings on impulse buy. Argh!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I suck at this saving s***. As I get close to my goal, there are days I just want to go and spend it on something I can get and wear right away. And then I'll think that I should have just spent the money first on what I originally wanted and not wasted it on something cute but not what ultimately scratches the itch! That's how I ended up with my first setting. Have any others bought stuff during the angst of a wait?? Am I the only one this crazy?? Uhhh, yeah, maybe... :loopy:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I know the feeling. I've been trying to slow down, but I just bought a spinel today! I need to stop because _none_ of my colored stones are set. It also took 2 settings to get my ering reset correct. UGH!

I have to learn to be happy with just admiring things on here, instead of buying everything, I decided.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes! I do this! I'm so bad! I had a good "nest egg", and then I found gel nails :loopy: and bought my birthday present :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
This. I came upon it and since I don't own a halo, and this cluster ring reminded me of a halo, I couldn't say no! But I don't have any regrets on this one, because I totally love it. OEC's, halo, bezel...all in one. I really shouldn't visit antique jewelry shops if I'm trying to save.
image_1308.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got the itch for something so bad! Like a bezel band or something ugh!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand where you're coming from. My husband told me that I should stop spending money on small pieces of jewelry. I should be saving for a big OEC or a cushion. We should support each other here so that we can reach our goals :)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've REALLY been struggling with buying temptation as well! It must be something in the water, or all the thrill of Christmas has worn off and it just feels like the right time to buy. :wink2:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I understand, I just shipped my ering off for a reset. I am going to call it spring fever since most of my buying is late winter early spring.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Groan, it's the battle I fight every day. I'm trying to save to set my gorgeous tourmaline, but then something irresistable shows up. I just bought a jadeite cab I couldn't resist & only with enormous pain didn't snag a few other stones. I have to grab myself by the collar sometimes & pull me away from the "BUY" button.

--- Laurie

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJ, tell us what your goal is and we'll try to help you stay on track!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally understand this! I keep buying little items here and there that are starting to add up, when I really just want a giant OEC ultimately. Sigh. :rolleyes:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally get this too but it's worth the saving and the wait if there is something you are lusting after...sometimes nothing else will quench that thirst and only that coveted jewel will do...

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear ya, LLJsmom--I am guilty as well!!! I could not resist a good sale recently on something that I've had my eye on for quite some time... :Up_to_something:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1393694294|3625290 said:
I hear ya--I am guilty as well!!! I just could not resist a good sale recently... :Up_to_something:

Spill it mom2boys...don't hold out on us! :appl:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1393694402|3625294 said:
mom2boys|1393694294|3625290 said:
I hear ya--I am guilty as well!!! I just could not resist a good sale recently... :Up_to_something:

Spill it mom2boys...don't hold out on us! :appl:

Hi Missy! :wavey: The big reveal will be in a few weeks, I hope! :bigsmile:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to binge spend on lots of little things so it's difficult to save up for a big item. That's probably why the only large jewelry item I've purchased recently are diamond studs and it took 2.5 years to buy them...I didn't save, though...I used part of my tax return ;))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1393674702|3625185 said:
I understand, I just shipped my ering off for a reset. I am going to call it spring fever since most of my buying is late winter early spring.

Can't wait to see it lknvrb4!! Any hints??

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1393694207|3625289 said:
I totally get this too but it's worth the saving and the wait if there is something you are lusting after...sometimes nothing else will quench that thirst and only that coveted jewel will do...

Missy I think you've told m that before. That is advice I remember after a hard week and I think how cute that Cartier bracelet I've been coveting would look. image_1260.jpg . Super cute right??

But that isn't what I am craving right now. It's just a distraction. :). I will add this to my collection eventually.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1393713315|3625448 said:
lknvrb4|1393674702|3625185 said:

Can't wait to see it lknvrb4!! Any hints??

Total vintage/art deco style. I was going to go practical and modern but my diamond was from 1910 and I wanted to do her justice. :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very hard for me because I am just always shopping for deals online (my hobby), and when I find something I really like, I buy it. I do, in principle, believe in saving and buying mostly heirloom worthy things, but sometimes I buy smaller things that I don't really have to have. I never wear a lot of jewelry and really am not out that much to wear it at all! lol! So I really need to stick to the idea that a few great things is better than a LOT of good things!

So have you already blown your savings on an impulse buy or are you just contemplating it? :bigsmile:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1393732228|3625640 said:
It is very hard for me because I am just always shopping for deals online (my hobby), and when I find something I really like, I buy it. I do, in principle, believe in saving and buying mostly heirloom worthy things, but sometimes I buy smaller things that I don't really have to have. I never wear a lot of jewelry and really am not out that much to wear it at all! lol! So I really need to stick to the idea that a few great things is better than a LOT of good things!

So have you already blown your savings on an impulse buy or are you just contemplating it? :bigsmile:

I am going into my busy season at work and I get so stressed that looking at jewelry and buying stuff that makes me happy is my escape. So I have to stay strong and not buy anything until I commit to my next thing. I'm thinking about either the reset or a pair of studs. If I do the reset it may be as soon as this month. If I do the studs I will need to wait until may or June. I'm more excited about the reset.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1393745657|3625689 said:
diamondseeker2006|1393732228|3625640 said:

I am going into my busy season at work and I get so stressed that looking at jewelry and buying stuff that makes me happy is my escape. So I have to stay strong and not buy anything until I commit to my next thing. I'm thinking about either the reset or a pair of studs. If I do the reset it may be as soon as this month. If I do the studs I will need to wait until may or June. I'm more excited about the reset.

Bingo! That's what I thought - my focus would be to get the ering the way you really want it first. To me, that's the most important piece of jewelry. The rest can come later and is not so hard to figure out in terms of what you want.

Can't wait to see what you have In mind!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really bad at this, almost everything that I buy is under 1k and when I add them all up and think of what I could have got it makes me crazy, lol.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guilty of this. I have a bunch of things and I don't need all of them or even wear all of them all the time.
I sold a few things last year that were not getting worn enough, but then bought a whole bunch of other stuff.

I try to stay away from loupetroop, preloved and diamondbistro bc I always see something I want. And I justify my purchases bc I "saved" so much off retail. Then I get mad at myself when I find something nice and it's already sold.
Like someone was selling a diamond heart solitaire on DB and I was kicking myself for not buying it. But on the other hand, what would I do with it anyway?

Maybe I'll do another purging of stuff. :razz:

Just try to stay focused or if your husband is better at savings, maybe give him the money and let him hold it for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1393713633|3625453 said:
missy|1393694207|3625289 said:

Missy I think you've told m that before. That is advice I remember after a hard week and I think how cute that Cartier bracelet I've been coveting would look. image_1260.jpg . Super cute right??

But that isn't what I am craving right now. It's just a distraction. :). I will add this to my collection eventually.

That is super cute! But, since you have a goal in mind that makes it easier to resist. Just focus on your gorgeous reset and it will be easier to resist temptation. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful new ring. :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my only solution is to get the setting sooner than later. I tend to overthink certain things, and this reset is one of them. I can come up with many reasons not to do it, some to do with the ring and some financial and some external. I think my heart yearns for this but when I think about the other things I can do with the money, I hesitate. Vacation, studs... It's not like I don't have a perfectly good setting already. But what do you do when you feel like your stone can look better, the whole ring can just look better?! Sometimes I think that if I don't so it now, I never will. I'm an accountant and I hate making a decision where I just can't justify the numbers. But like I heard someone say, "the hearts wants what it wants". I think they were talking about relationships, not jewelry. Lol!! If I had the courage to follow my heart in the first place I would probably already have this setting. I don't even want to say it (write it) cause I'll feel too commited. But if I don't get it, I'll just blow the money on something else and regret it. That would give me the excuse not to commit to this setting. If I don't get it, I would still look for a setting like this every time I went into a jewelry store. Geeeeez!! What is wrong with me. I wish I could be like you ladies that just knew and went for it.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJ,

I just went through all my jewelry receipts. I needed to find a roofing bill, and on the way I went thru what I spent on jewelry, and some of it was below my current standards for jewelry. I can't believe how much I spent, and it has put the fear of God in me(just an expression)

I alsowant you know that most of it is colored stones and maybe total $500.00 each for stone and setting.

I have resolved to sell the gold next time prices are up again. They have some nice hefty weight. But wow, I'm still in shock and no big diamonds in the lot.

Hang-in there. Get what you love-- not what pops up on the screen.

Annette

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand how you feel LLJsmom, it's so dam fun getting something new that it's hard to look at the bigger picture and hold off for that larger item. My situation is a little different, but the thought process is kind of the same - I'm not saving for an expensive purchase, but dh's business had a good year and I have some extra money in the bling budget that I oddly don't feel guilty about spending, and of course it's burning a hole in my pocket and I'm agonizing over what to get! I did make up my mind to buy several things as opposed to sinking it all into one more expensive piece - but now I have a list of things I *think* I want but am afraid to make a commitment on any of them lol!

So I totally get what you're saying about wanting to spend your money wisely, and making sure you're doing the right thing! Going by your last post it sounds like you're still on the fence about a reset, so maybe that's why you're so tempted by other things. But I also get the impression that a reset would make you happy and excited about your ering. I'm dying to know what you have in mind, but you've already said you don't want to say so I won't press you! :cheeky: :halo:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1393976556|3627569 said:
I understand how you feel LLJsmom, it's so dam fun getting something new that it's hard to look at the bigger picture and hold off for that larger item. My situation is a little different, but the thought process is kind of the same - I'm not saving for an expensive purchase, but dh's business had a good year and I have some extra money in the bling budget that I oddly don't feel guilty about spending, and of course it's burning a hole in my pocket and I'm agonizing over what to get! I did make up my mind to buy several things as opposed to sinking it all into one more expensive piece - but now I have a list of things I *think* I want but am afraid to make a commitment on any of them lol!

So I totally get what you're saying about wanting to spend your money wisely, and making sure you're doing the right thing! Going by your last post it sounds like you're still on the fence about a reset, so maybe that's why you're so tempted by other things. But I also get the impression that a reset would make you happy and excited about your ering. I'm dying to know what you have in mind, but you've already said you don't want to say so I won't press you! :cheeky: :halo:

OK, Junebug, start sharing here or start a new thread!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1393990918|3627700 said:
OK, Junebug, start sharing here or start a new thread!

Hehehe braga! :naughty: Right now I am all.over.the.place, but when I narrow things down a little I'll start a thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results