shape
carat
color
clarity

Bling on the Little Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 3:34:14 AM
Author: Gonzodogg
A I get the feeling that no matter what size stone I decided on, in a few years it will be too small.

Mike, good boy! You ARE learning the important stuff here on PS!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I wear a size 4.75. I think my hands are probably on the small-ish size. My first stone was a 1.53. I''ll try to find a picture of it...

1.53snow.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
But then I upgraded to a 2.36, which I think looks even better!
31.gif

(And I don''t think a 3 carat would be too big, either!)
30.gif

2.36hand1.jpg

diamonelle

Rough_Rock
Thanks all!!
35.gif

I really appreciate your help. I''ve been looking at sizes for the past three months and can''t decide. I guess I will have to revisit stores to find my one perfect carrot size. My boyfriend will be pleased with that...........(NOT), lol

P.S. your rings are so gorgeous

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonelle,
What size stones do your friends wear? Or people in your neighborhood? I think it might be a better guideline than your finger size. My stone is 1.6 and I wear size 5.5. It was just the right size for me not just in relation to my finger but in relation to what other people around here wear. It''s about average in my peer group (friends, coworkers, etc) and I would''ve felt uncomfortable with something much bigger or much smaller. I have a friend with a size 4 finger who wears a 2.5 carat stone. Where she lives and works, it''s not too big.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
5.5 with a really long hand and fingers...and I have a 1.11ct with a halo which makes it seem bigger!

5point5.jpg

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to attach a picture.

onhandedit.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please don''t place too much importance upon size, unless you know for a fact your BF can afford it. Your BF wants to give you the best ring he can, and sometimes if you catch the "shrinkage syndrome" prior to receiving a ring, it''s entirely plausible that he may feel that what he is able to give you is simply not good enough for you. The most important thing is that it is a gift of love, given to you as a symbol of that love.

It''s also important to remember that PS is a microcosm of the real world, and to be realistic about your upcoming engagement. Your finger is quite close in size to mine, and everything from a .33 ct RB on up looks quite respectable on my hand. Go to a jeweler, try on various sizes, tell him what you like, but make sure you give him all kinds of options in lower colour and clarity if size is of upmost importance to you.

What an exciting time, though! Good luck with your search!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think anything between a 1-2 ct will look fine on your finger. 1ct won't look too small and a 2 won't look ridiculous. I'm a size 4.5 and I have a 1.4ct. To me that was what looked "just right" when I was trying on different size stones. However, now that I have it for about a year I want an upgrade and I'm thinking 1.8ct will be "just right"=P Girls who have 2 ct stones will start to think 3 cts will be perfect. It's really what you feel comfortable with. I would say whatever you try on that you feel is the "right size", go a quarter ct higher so shrinkage doesn't kick in as fast. if you're thinking 1.25 now, drop a notch in color/clarity and get a 1.5.
As for not wanting to look blinged out (not that there's anything wrong with blinging), go with a simple solitaire. Side stones tend to make the ring look more blingy.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 6:01:28 PM
Author: CareBear
...if you''re thinking 1.25 now, drop a notch in color/clarity and get a 1.5.

That''s a great reminder. I dropped from a G/VS to a J/SI stone to get the size I wanted (2+ carat)... and man, I have NEVER looked back! The J is a killer cut, sparkles like crazy, faces up VERY WHITE and beautiful... and it is totally eye-clean. So I feel like I didn''t pay for color or clarity that I can''t "see". I paid for *SIZE* which I CAN SEE, and whoaaaa, baby, I just LOVE that!
31.gif

diamonelle

Rough_Rock
Wow so many of you Pricescopers have large rings. I was once reading in the newspaper that only about 1% of women will get a 1 carot or bigger for their engagement ring. I guess many of you represent that 1%. Lucky Ladies
36.gif

I''m very curious can you actually see a hearts and arrows cut or do you have to put it up to the microscope? I know this is off topic but I would love to know and didn''t want to start a new thread.

Thanks!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
You can only see hearts when the diamond is not set. Once set you can see yummy crisp arrows
18.gif
which I love!

And with regards to the 1% of women...I think its more generational and geographic. I noticed this over Christmas with my FMIL and her friends. I had the biggest diamond there but was also the youngest. I also noticed that where I'm from diamonds don't tend to be that big...but at my law school is a WHOLE other story mine is the teeniest diamond I've seen but I'm not trying to sound arrogant here mine seems to be the one that gets the most attention.
31.gif
*sparklesparkle*

ETA: I meant to say you can see hearts and arrows when the diamond is not set. Once set all you can see is the arrows...I knew what was I thinking but it came out wrong.
38.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.72 on a 4.5 finger size. I agree PS is different from the real world. In real life my diamond is pretty big, on here it's no big deal.
2.gif
I think it looks proportional. If you feel comfortable with a smaller stone go for it. Whatever makes you happy!

ETA: I have small hands. (I am only 5'1")

Tacori-e-ring_86.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
logan sapphire, your diamond is so gorgeous and white! what color is it?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 5:02:49 PM
Author: elepri
Forgot to attach a picture.
Everytime I see a hand shot of your ring I just swoon! I love it!
30.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2006 12:10:58 AM
Author: Sophie
logan sapphire, your diamond is so gorgeous and white! what color is it?

Thanks! It''s an E, which I know can be overkill.

diamonelle

Rough_Rock
After reading your replies I think I''m gonna settle between a .80-1.00 carot. I want all the good characteristics of the diamond. If I go above a 1 carot it might be out the price range and qualities will get sacrificed. Plus it looks reasonable on my small fingers.

I''ve always wanted a VVSI/VVS2 stone but the jewellers said you can purchase an SI and it doesn''t matter. Will the SI have an effect on the sparkle of my diamond or is it really not important?

What specs would you recommend for lets say a .8 diamond with about a $5500cdn price range. I can use this info to compare during our diamond hunting.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What diamond shape you are looking for? In a round for example an eye clean SI1 is a great choice. The sparkle factor is because of the cut not clarity. If you are going for a step cut, I personally would not go under VS2.

diamonelle

Rough_Rock
Yes I''ve now decided to go for a round rather than my original plan of a princess cut.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Like LynnB, my finger is approx. 4.5-4.75 depending on band width, etc. My current center stone is a 3.29 ct round, but it is set EXTREMELY low in a basket setting, so it is very "understated" if that is at all possible. It is flanked by trills, .75 tcw.
Keep in mind that this is not the stone I was engaged with. I became engaged just after my 24th b-day with a 1.01 marquise. Then I upgraded two years later to a 1.51 round. I then got the present 3.29 ct round 12 years later. Also, I am 40 years old. Had I received a ring this size years earlier it would''ve seemed inappropriate. The stone is commesurate with my age and me and my dh''s lifestyle, economics, etc. It is not uncommon for me to be wearing the smallest diamond in the room at many of the places we go for dinner, vacations, etc. (yes, I know that seems absolutely absurd). Our homes have sort of followed suit, as well, going from the condo to the tract home and then to the large custom home. We sort of "grew into" all of it.
But, with that said, I have to point out that I would not go any larger than this. I do plan on upgrading, probably in maybe three years for our 20th wedding anniversary, but it will not be for anything larger, just a better overall quality stone than this one, and also for a different shape (I think I am going for an emerald or a cushion).
I know I never thought, in my wildest dreams, that I would say this -- Mara, if you''re reading this, please forgive me!!! -- I often now look down at my hand and think the 3.29 is too large!!! It is sort of like I YEARNED for the large rock for what seemed like forever, and now that I have it and have worn it for approx. 2-1/2 years, I''m sort of "over" it.
I had to really compromise on quality to go into this size (my original 1.01 e-ring was a D color -- yikes!) Not that this looks horrible or anything -- no one knows the diff but me. (And, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my EGL-Israel H color stone looks comparable to a darling little emerald cut ring w/ a GIA certificate that is H color that I just purchased from antiqueengagementrings.com). But, I think I really just want a stellar quality stone on my finger -- the best money can buy -- and not particularly in such a large size.
Maybe I am finally growing up (I''m pathetic)!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2006 8:49:35 PM
Author: headlight
Like LynnB, my finger is approx. 4.5-4.75 depending on band width, etc. My current center stone is a 3.29 ct round, but it is set EXTREMELY low in a basket setting, so it is very 'understated' if that is at all possible. It is flanked by trills, .75 tcw.
Keep in mind that this is not the stone I was engaged with. I became engaged just after my 24th b-day with a 1.01 marquise. Then I upgraded two years later to a 1.51 round. I then got the present 3.29 ct round 12 years later. Also, I am 40 years old. Had I received a ring this size years earlier it would've seemed inappropriate. The stone is commesurate with my age and me and my dh's lifestyle, economics, etc. It is not uncommon for me to be wearing the smallest diamond in the room at many of the places we go for dinner, vacations, etc. (yes, I know that seems absolutely absurd). Our homes have sort of followed suit, as well, going from the condo to the tract home and then to the large custom home. We sort of 'grew into' all of it.
But, with that said, I have to point out that I would not go any larger than this. I do plan on upgrading, probably in maybe three years for our 20th wedding anniversary, but it will not be for anything larger, just a better overall quality stone than this one, and also for a different shape (I think I am going for an emerald or a cushion).
I know I never thought, in my wildest dreams, that I would say this -- Mara, if you're reading this, please forgive me!!! -- I often now look down at my hand and think the 3.29 is too large!!! It is sort of like I YEARNED for the large rock for what seemed like forever, and now that I have it and have worn it for approx. 2-1/2 years, I'm sort of 'over' it.
I had to really compromise on quality to go into this size (my original 1.01 e-ring was a D color -- yikes!) Not that this looks horrible or anything -- no one knows the diff but me. (And, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my EGL-Israel H color stone looks comparable to a darling little emerald cut ring w/ a GIA certificate that is H color that I just purchased from antiqueengagementrings.com). But, I think I really just want a stellar quality stone on my finger -- the best money can buy -- and not particularly in such a large size.
Maybe I am finally growing up (I'm pathetic)!!!
OH GOSH NO....SAY IT AIN'T SO!!
39.gif

(well at least it bodes well for our financial goals in the future if once i get my ~3.25c stone i can say that too!!!)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Mara -- I knew you''d freak! Don''t know what''s gotten into me lately -- could I lose my PS membership over this new revelation??!!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, Headlight, you won''t lose your membership! Your honesty is refreshing. It is amazing how we grow and learn and change ideas about the ''ultimate''!

I also think it is impossible to say what size stone ''goes'' on different size fingers. You just have to try the stones on to get a feel for what you think looks good and what you are comfortable with. I wear a 2.22 stone with .66 side stones on a 5.5 finger. I like the look - although I''ve had people tell me that they think the stone is too big for me. Oh, well, everyone is entitled to their opinion! I truly don''t wear it for everyone else - I wear it because I enjoy it. The size just has to feel right for you.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2006 8:49:35 PM
Author: headlight

... a darling little emerald cut ring w/ a GIA certificate that is H color that I just purchased from antiqueengagementrings.com).

Ahem - have we seen this bauble yet???????
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamonelle, I am all about proportion, which is why I told my husband when he was talking about getting engaged and asking me what I wanted ,that I had to have a big stone for my big hands. I wear a 6.75, am 5''10" and not a small boned gal. I may not be a giant, but I knew that for me to be happy, I wanted a stone on my finger that appeared proportionate to the rest of me. I have always loved bigger, chunkier jewelry...delicate things just don''t look right on me. If you''re a petite person, the ring need not be gi-normous to complement your hand! I think you''re definitely making the correct choice in going with a .80-1.00 stone. And you may not have to sacrifice color, etc. Good luck in your search and with your impending engagement!
face1.gif

diamonelle

Rough_Rock
Such Large Stones impressive!!!
Did many of you PS''ers upgrade your rings. Did you start from small and then moved your way up? I ask this because I have rarely met people who have rec''vd over 1 carrot size rings. Or maybe Diamonds are better priced in the USA.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the other posters in that you need to decide which size works best for you. And remember that the setting can give an illusion of larger (or smaller) size.

My ring is 3.22cts, and I wear a 4.5 (actually, I''m going to get sizing balls put in because I think I''m more of a 4-4.25). My stone is set low, so it really doesn''t look too big.

ring10d.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
But, when it''s paired with my wedding ring (1.4ctw) you do get the *BLING* look you''re hoping to avoid.

slhset.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 1:02:17 AM
Author: diamonelle
Such Large Stones impressive!!!

Did many of you PS''ers upgrade your rings. Did you start from small and then moved your way up? I ask this because I have rarely met people who have rec''vd over 1 carrot size rings. Or maybe Diamonds are better priced in the USA.

My e-ring is the original, but I don''t plan on upgrading. As for the other girls, I think there''s a pretty equal mix of people who get big stones to begin with and people who upgrade. But, I do know that stones are better priced in the USA, and that Americans do tend to go for bigger stones than in other countries, at least for engagement rings. The great thing about the internet is you can buy a stone through a respected U.S. vendor and save some money!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
researcher
your princess has the most sparkle
10.gif
30.gif
out of any princess i ever seen.
36.gif

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Ok a tad bit of insomnia so here's my story...l I have a 1.7ct F VS1 center pear in a three stone setting. I have just started my hunt for a 2.3 - 2.5 ideal round upgrade. I know without a doubt I can not go over 2.5 since I plan on a three stone ring. I only recently came to this realization after I tried on a 3ct center with two small rounds. It felt like an "itchy sweater" too uncomfortable for my size 5 finger but someone else would love it. Since I have never liked a solitare setting I had to adjust down my requirements for the center (I know freaky) if I want a three stone in F VS or better.

I think you need to have fun trying on different rings & styles since you'll be amazed at how your tastes might change once it's on YOUR finger. I will never trade in my original diamond it is destined for a custom made pendant. My husband jokes my original diamond is getting upgraded ie closer to my heart but thats not far from the truth & the very reason why I can't part with it. In the end, you need to figure out what you will be happy with in terms of color/clarity & what your future fiance can reasonably afford. Everyone's idea of perfect ie shape, color, clarity, size & style is different so go have fun & try them on. Trust me all I wanted 5 years ago was a emerald cut or something square.. It took 1 minute on my finger to figure out I didn't like squares of anything (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results