shape
carat
color
clarity

Black earlobes after wearing gold earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
I just bought gold earrings, and i love them but they make my earlobes black. I know they aren''t fake because even my sliver tiffany earrings do the same thing. I can only fake earrings. they dont make them black

does anyone know why this happens?

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to be a really individual thing, but your body chemistry can react with the metals used to alloy gold. My grandmother had this problem. The recommended fix is to switch to a higher karat (i.e. 18k) because it''s more pure and has less of the metals that your skin reacts with. I''m not sure about the silver - maybe it''s tarnish?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they white gold? If they are white gold it''s likely that the alloys in the metal are doing it to your skin, similar to why silver does it too. If they are yellow gold but a low karat, this might be the case there too.

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
they are 10k yellow gold, is there anything i can do ?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 11:47:13 AM
Author: blissfulbride
they are 10k yellow gold, is there anything i can do ?

Not really other than getting the backs changed out to a higher karat gold. That''s a lower quality gold so it''ll have a lot of alloys in it, some of which are likely reacting with your skin.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clear nail polish on the posts. I have heard of this, but have never tried it. You can have the posts removed and replaced with 18K posts... Not sure how much that would cost. Guess its worth it if you really love them...

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My tolerance is 14K. If I wear anything 10K it will turn my skin black. However my 14K pieces look like they need cleaned more often. I always try to buy 18K just to be safe. Most pieces aren't 'pure' gold so you are having a reaction to the other metals present, most likely Nickle.

You can also try applying a cortisone cream to the finger, earlobe, whatever Before you put on the jewelry. This should enable you to wear to jewelry for a longer period of time without the reaction.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a totally normal flukish thing with your skin and the metal. I have had this a couple of times with my flute which has a silver head. Something about that particular silver causes a reaction with my skin to turn it black. It''s nothing out of the ordinary though.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 8:37:39 AM
Author:blissfulbride
I just bought gold earrings, and i love them but they make my earlobes black. I know they aren''t fake because even my sliver tiffany earrings do the same thing. I can only fake earrings. they dont make them black

does anyone know why this happens?
you are reacting to the alloy that is mixed with the gold.10 karat is low karat and the smudge is the chemical reaction to persperation or makeup or lotion,moisture,warmth, and the metals mixed with the gold.Try 18 kt. and clean your ears well of any make up,hair spray,lotion or hair conditioner before wearing earrings.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had the trouble off and on for years, it usually to really bad when I was in my 30''s, all my gold jewerly turned me black, it about drove me crazy and then it stopped, no clue why or what caused it
38.gif
I havent had the problem in years....good luck

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
I spoke to a jeweler and he told me that he is going to replace the piece all together with an 18k piece. hopefully that will work

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
I went to the jewelry around my job and he told me he couldnt fix them and told me to go back to the place i bought them which is impossible because its super far. Now i know this might sound crazy, but how about i just coat the stick that going in my ear with clear nail polish. think that could work ?

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done the clear nail polish trick and it works, just make sure to apply a new coat each time.

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
whoo hoo im doing it once i get home thanks

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t see Tiffany silver doing that. I have tons of Tiffany silver and haven''t ever had a problem. It might be tarnish as ladyceil said. As far as the gold, I can develop a rash on my earlobes from gold. I like to stay away from it. But that''s me! Good luck with your 18k gold earrings!

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
Amazingly the clear nailpolish has been working. I''ve been able to use them again !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results