shape
carat
color
clarity

Bizarre Situation

GoldenDilemma

Rough_Rock
I'm in a pretty bizarre situation. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I can't find many other jewelry forums.

Basically, around eight months ago I bought a 6mm 18k gold chain from a reputable, local dealer. I've worn it everyday, and try my best to take care of it as well as possible. I make sure I don't have it on when sweating, don't shower with it on, nor do I even let rain come anywhere near it. Of course this is being a bit overly cautious.

I got it tested maybe a few weeks after the initial purpose, and the results came back with it being solid gold. But this morning I got a major 'WTF??' I looked in the mirror and it turns out the clasp is 50% this coppery color. And the place it connects to is turning it, but in smaller portions. And this is very noticeable if the clasp ever slides down, because it's such a large contrast with the rest of the chain.

My only guess is that the rest of the chain is real, and only the attachments are not. And then I happen to see a comment on a YT video today that this is actually a pretty common practice?! Is it possible that the clasp just wasn't tested as well? I have absolutely NO idea what to do. I've never heard of this happening. Would there be any way to get the clasp replaced, or is there anything else I should do?

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
Yes, sometimes the fasteners are not of the same metal. I had a clasp replaced on a gold chain just because it wasn't very secure and it cost me 12 euros. I'd get it replaced if I were you so you're not conscious of it slipping down and being seen.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps 18k gold is too soft for clasps and they need to use harder metals?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results