shape
carat
color
clarity

Bit the bullet--- the story so far

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cybermob2

Rough_Rock
After a LONG, LONG, LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG time searching I am finally on my way.

Picked up a nice princess

Specs:
1.37ct
AGS0
G
SI1 (was a little leary, but @ 10x in multiple lighting, I can''t see squat)
$7k

Ordered a micro pave solitaire (no halo) Ritani setting locally.

For the money, I can''t see EVER buying a diamond anywhere but from a reputable online vendor. I spent about 3 weeks scrupilously searching the net, the jewelers, etc for the right diamond with no avail. After about 6 months of casually checking out local jeweler diamond selections, I finally thought more seriously about buying online.

The absolute BEST I could do in a B+M was something around 1.0-1.2 GIA (no local AGS0 pc whatsoever, and no real clue as to the cut), with color around F-H, and at best VS2 for around $7k. NO comparison (especially in person) to what I got from GOG. It was PAINFUL to walk in and put up with the antics, the sales pitches, etc just to look at a few diamonds (around here, only 2 or 3 jewelers carry much of anything worth $10k+) that they are EXTREMELY nervous about showing. It is almost like red sirens going off when I start asking about anything from table/depth % to grading. I think a jeweler I went to actually thought I wanted to skiff the whole store for the most valuable rock and swipe it, they were that glaze-eyed. I got thoroughly disgusted when a jeweler even attempted to sell me a 1.4ct H SI3 EGL for $12k!!!! THEFT!!! and in-house cert? COME ON PEOPLE! that is THEFT!!!

There was only one jeweler that showed me everything without hesitation from 1ct to 3ct, and approx $10k - $40k and didn''t pressure or push any particular rock. To thank them, I ordered a Ritani setting from them... and I''d like to make them my new (lol, never needed one before) jeweler. I didn''t say where I got the rock, and they didn''t ask, and thats the way it should be. They were more than happy to sell me the setting and mount it for me. I paid more than I could have online, but I''m also having Ritani change a couple little things and I saved enough on the diamond to help fund some loyalty to a good jeweler.

All in all, I can''t think of a better way to have spent $10k. I look at all the HORRIBLE ways I could have blown it on lesser quality (I used to say "junk", but nothing is really "junk", its just overpriced).

One last thing, PROPS to GoG! I was REALLY nervous about wiring $7k for something I''d never seen, and that would arrive in the hands of a UPS driver with a rat tail and tattoos. But, everything went GREAT. Had diamond verified locally, good to go. I was scared of SI1 initially, but I think what I was scared of what the SI1s from no-name lax certifiers. The increase in ct weight was WELL worth the sacrifice in quality thats virtually impossible to quantify without equipment.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring sounds like it''s going to be gorgeous! You have to prove it, though...with pictures, please!
9.gif
I love the Ritani endless love settings with or without a halo, and I bet the dainty band is going to really make that big diamond pop!

And I love the visual of the UPS man with a rat tail and tattoos...hahaha-hilarious!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 7:31:21 PM
Author:cybermob2
There was only one jeweler that showed me everything without hesitation from 1ct to 3ct, and approx $10k - $40k and didn''t pressure or push any particular rock. To thank them, I ordered a Ritani setting from them... and I''d like to make them my new (lol, never needed one before) jeweler. I didn''t say where I got the rock, and they didn''t ask, and thats the way it should be. They were more than happy to sell me the setting and mount it for me. I paid more than I could have online, but I''m also having Ritani change a couple little things and I saved enough on the diamond to help fund some loyalty to a good jeweler.

All in all, I can''t think of a better way to have spent $10k. I look at all the HORRIBLE ways I could have blown it on lesser quality (I used to say ''junk'', but nothing is really ''junk'', its just overpriced).

One last thing, PROPS to GoG! I was REALLY nervous about wiring $7k for something I''d never seen, and that would arrive in the hands of a UPS driver with a rat tail and tattoos. But, everything went GREAT. Had diamond verified locally, good to go. I was scared of SI1 initially, but I think what I was scared of what the SI1s from no-name lax certifiers. The increase in ct weight was WELL worth the sacrifice in quality thats virtually impossible to quantify without equipment.
Good for you. That''s exactly what I was going to suggest. They should be rewarded for great service.
2.gif

GOG''s great, I''m not surprised at your experience.

lol at the UPS driver.
9.gif

Please post pics when you''re done if you can, it sounds lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results