shape
carat
color
clarity

Big interview, need some encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

I''ve been debating posting the situation for awhile, but I really needed support so here goes.

Last year I was accepted into medical school at the University of Montreal. However, admissions to this school means you have to pass a french language proficiency test. Now this is not a normal "Can you speak french test" This is a "We don''t want any non pure french people in our school" You need to get 83% to pass, I got 79%. They ask the most obscure, unheard of things. My parents speak only FRENCH. Obviously I speak/ write/ read french. Some pure french people took the test by "accident" and they FAILED. So what happened is that my acceptance gets deferred. I can get in this year if I pass the test in June (no interview or anything). I''ve studied like crazy and this is not a sure thing.

SO. That being said, I applied to Dentistry as a backup. I don''t want to put my life on hold any longer. I have an interview on Friday morning 10:30, and I am freaking out for some reason. I am physically scared. My stomach hurts and I am afraid to go. I am dreading it. I don''t know why except that the interview is at MCGILL. Now for those of you that don''t know, in Canada, Mcgill is considered (rightfully, or wrongfully) to be THE SCHOOL. I know this is ridiculous. I went to med interviews. This should be easy right? I am so intimidated by the school I practically can''t breath. I have never had the guts to apply to this university, this is the first time.This past week has been hideous. Can someone please tell me that it''s going to be ok? I feel like bursting into tears at the thought of showing up there on Friday.

Croí

Shiny_Rock

oh sweet Ally
HUGSHUGS - you deserve ALL good things to come your way and what is for you WON''T go by you ..... you can do this interview. All you have to do is breathe deep, remember it is not the be all and end all that folk ''presume'' such interviews to be and that you are a whole and functioning and worthy person REGARDLESS of what this school says or thinks.

YOU are a STAR and precious upon the earth ....... no matter what ........

and if this does not pan out, there will one day come to light a really good reason why it didn''t, and you''ll be glad it passed you by.

*HUGSTIGHT*

Just go and give it your best shot in that moment in time. This is all any of us can do in life.

I know you can do it !!!
36.gif

C

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ally,

I know the stomach-churning feeling as I am studying for my PhD preliminary examinations scheduled for May. From my understanding (definitely limited in this field) dentistry and medical school are different? If your passion is in medicine (like surgery and the like) is dentistry what you want to pursue? I''m not trying to be negative but just want to get a better understanding of the situation.

I think it is fabulous that you got an interview at McGill. You should feel confident from that fact alone. i.e. they wouldn''t waste their time interviewing people that had no chance of admission. Plus, I try to look at it this way...the interview is to gauge how you would fit into the school and how well you would compete with the other students. If they don''t think you can compete and you don''t get accepted then they are saving you a lot of headaches and stressful nights.

When I was applying for undergraduate school, I didn''t get into my first choice even though they personally recruited me (strange huh)...but after visiting a friend that went there I realized I wouldn''t have fit in at all so the admissions board did me a favor by not letting me in!

So everything works out in the end whether you end up at the Univ. of Montreal or McGill. As long as you keep working hard then success will come.

Good luck :)

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Good Luck! I know you''ll do great. Now take a deep break and count to 10. Relax and take a hot bubble bath!

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ally,

I completely second what Croi said - this interview doesn''t determine your worth, it determines whether the interviewer thinks you are best suited to be at that school. Any decision to the contrary can be for reasons that don''t even have to do with your qualifications (for example picking up on the fact that dentistry isn''t your childhood dream), so you can''t doubt yourself. Although McGill is a great school, there are others, and you want to go into medicine anyway! Take a deep breath and put your honest self forward. Don''t have any caffeine the morning of the interview, that''s for sure, unless you normally have some, in which case just a cup.

wcitygirl

Rough_Rock
Hi Alley --

Don''t worry, I''m sure you''ll do GREAT!!!! My advice to you is to take all the horrible nervousness and turn it into being really in the zone for the interview. That''s what I do. I get all worked up before interviews (I''m just like that) and so I decided to turn that nervous energy into being extra dynamic and charming? I don''t know if those are qualities that one needs for dentistry per se, but it might help to just focus that energy into something positive!

You will be great!!
9.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Allycat,

Oh honey I feel for you!!!

I suspect that your nervousness stems from the idea you''ve planted in your head that if it doesn''t work out at McGill that all will be ruined forever, that you''ll never recover and that you''ll be asking "do you want fries with that?"
1.gif

The reality is your ambition, knowledge & skill have already gotten you farther than so many people get in a lifetime! You were accepted to medical school, you have an interview at McGill- you are on top of the world, honestly able to do whatever you want. This Friday is just a minor dress rehersal for all the wonderful things to come...go get ''em!!!!

Jenn

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Well said, Fountainfairfax!!!

Ally, I know that I don''t "know" you, but reading your posts has shown me that you are an intelligent, mature, and confident woman...I''m sure they''ll see that too!

emstar.gif
GOOD LUCK!!!
emstar.gif

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Ally,
I''m not a big poster here becuase I am still desperately hoping that my boyfriend will discover PS, and I don''t want him to know how much time I''ve spent reading the LIW board! (I know that I will give away too much "identifying info" if I post frequently!) So, you probably haven''t a clue who I am. However, I would love to share my interview story at one of "The" schools here in the US. I think it may make you laugh and perhaps relax a bit. Would you object to my emailing it to you?
Munchkin

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Girls!

Thank you, thank you! I have been having anxiety attacks all day. I read all of your messages three times. I was trying to call anyone who would calm me down last night.

Croi, Chica: I keep saying what you both said over, and over in my head. I am a mess. I DON''T want to be a dentist. It''s my backup plan. I figure the closest I will get to medicine. I call it my modified dream. I keep saying to myself "If medicine wasn''t meant to be...." I just don''t want to be stuck staying at home another year. Thank you girls, for your kind words. I needed them so much.

Snow: HUGS! You understand me perfectly. I did a master''s degree to increase my chances of getting into med school even though I had almost no interest in the subject. I think the problem is, the french exam may be beyond my scope of abilities. I am also getting old. I have always said I wouldn''t *mind* doing dentistry if I had to. I''ve exhausted my options of med school. It might work out, it might not. I''m basically preparing for worst case scenario. So I need Mcgill to say yes. It would take a lot of pressure off me for my french exam. Oh... and preliminary PhD exam must not be fun. For my thesis defense I nearly died, so I can only imagine the stress.

Fountainfairfax, Wcitygirl, Appletini, Fatafalice, Munchkin: Thank you so much for your good wishes. I am going to know the answer within about 3 days of the interview (on March 2 or 3) so I''ll let you girls know. It''s so nice to know that somewhere, there are people that took the time to say "Good luck" I am going to try and remember that when I go in on Friday.

Thanks girls!
35.gif

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
alleycat

Whatever happens was meant to be. You will be fine! Just relax and be yourself. There is a school for everyone. This remonds me of when I was applying to undergrad. My parents pressured me to apply to Dartmouth, Brown, Tufts (rejected, rejected, rejected). But then I got into Boston College and George Washington Univeristy. Maybe those last two schools are not as prestigious, but BC turned out to be the perfect fit for me.

I will be thinking of you on Friday and wishing you luck, but if you don''t get into McGill, don''t sweat it. You will find the right place for you.
2.gif
I''m one of those hopeless romantic people who honestly believe that if you want something enough, you can make it happen. Sometimes it doesn''t happen the way you think it will, but it happens.

fingers crossed

-lovey
1.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My favorite interview trick (it works for me) is to make a tape/CD of songs ahead of time that get you up, make you dance, sing along, makes you feel sexy, and listen to them in the car on the way to the interview. It usually keeps me from rehearsing the potentially horrific questions they 'could' ask but never do and I'm not all stressed out and ill before I even get there.

Good Luck!!!
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I really like Erin''s ideas for keeping relaxed! I''m a weirdo and actually really enjoyed the med school interview trail. So, I guess I was never super nervous. But I know you''re going to do just fine Ally! Try to think of it as a fun learning experience (hehe, yeah right easier said than done).

And (fingers crossed!) hopefully you will pass your french exam anyway. If you got a 79 last time and have been studying hard, I can''t imagine you won''t be fine. An extra 4 points, you''ve got it covered
1.gif
I have a good feeling that you''ll be a MS1 verrrry soon.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
allycat--
Just remember that being nervous about it only takes time away from being prepared. I think the most important thing is to be confident. Know that McGill would be LUCKY to have you and if they make the mistake of not letting you in then that is their fault. Your life will be happy regardless. It''s so funny that you said you did your masters in something you weren''t really interested in. I am doing a masters thesis on something I don''t really like so I can get my education paid for! So I am also working on separate (and infinitely more interesting) research on the side but trying to juggle both projects + classes is killing me. (not to mention my addiction to PS and all shiny things taking up lots of time!) Just know that you have two great roads ahead of you and if neither is the path you take then something else great will come along. It sounds like you have a great work ethic and ambition so don''t worry about your future :) (silly because this is what people tell ME but i''m still nervous! :razz:)

I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Joanne

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock

ally-

Good luck girl!!!

A few of my friends went through dental school. For one of them, her goal had been to go to medical school, but things did not go as planned. She ended up at dental school and I think it really suited her. Her dream in life was to work in the medical field helping children. She now does pediatric dentistry and loves it!! She also met her future husband at dental school, so that could be a lot of the reason why she loved it

2.gif

From what I was told, they still had to dissect a cadaver and all that fun junk

21.gif
. They also said that the top percentage of each year in dental school could apply to be in the Oral Surgeon program. There is also orthodontistry and a few other paths other than "dentist". At least, that''s the way it is in the U.S. [I''m not sure how it works in Canada.]

Dazzle the interviewers with your smile. Maybe brush your teeth right before the interview and make your teeth extra white and sparkly. Subconsciously show them how well you take care of your own teeth, so naturally you would be a great choice for them.

I just had an ideas: Instead of envisioning the interviewers in their underwear, pretend that they are dressed up in those silly, giant teeth costumes. All cute, cuddly, and funny! [Not scary or intimidating!!]

BEST WISHES !

tooth_dentistry_1.jpg

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey girls!

Lovey: Oh I wish I was so optimistic. I kept saying to myself, after last year, "there is a reason why you had to stay home this year" Honestly 8 months later I still can''t see it
15.gif
. But it''s a new time, so I have to keep my spirits up.

Erin: Thanks for the tip. I''ll make something happy tonight.

icekid: I wish I could enjoy the process like you did! I think its a drag because dentistry is a backup, and well, its not that fun dwelling on worst case scenario. In addition, this school''s rep in Canada is quite formidable, so I''m nervous. I shouldn''t be. I mean it''s not med so why, why do I care??? Yeah. 4%. Jeez. I wish I could have been a little better.

What would I do without you girls? THANK YOU. I think I would have lost my mind if it wasn''t for this board.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
One more
9.gif

tooth_dentistry_2.jpg

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Buena: Oh those pictures are much too cute. I really like the cowboy teeth
9.gif
. I don''t know where you picked those pics up.Yes it works the same way in Canada in terms of specialties. I guess the med school not working out...become dentist happens. I''m glad I''m not the only one facing this potential crisis. I hope if that is what I end up doing, then I am as happy about it as your friend. Right now though, it just looks like a BIG BLACK CLOUD over the rest of my life
8.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Fingers HUGELY crossed for you.....it is going to all be ok!!!

((HUGS))

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Alley!! Wow, that is discouraging to miss out by 4%... Bummer!!

But, I second what BuenaGirl said ~ there are a lot of specialty options in the Dentistry field if that is the path you end up feeling you have to take. Oral surgery is a great option, or, in my opinion, Endodontics (root canal therapy) is an even better option. No one enjoys getting a root canal but the truth is, most people during the course of their lifetime will need to have at least one root canal procedure. I could go on and on, but I won''t ~ I used to work for a company that develops, manufactures, and sells products for root canal therapy so I can get carried away....

Anyhow, I still think it''s really interesting even though I don''t work there anymore ~ plus endos make a boatload of $$$. I keep trying to convince fiance that he should go back to school so he can specialize in Endo... he says no way!! He got fed up and quit dental school for a year but went back and really enjoys practicing, he just didn''t enjoy dental school itself. Although, I think that means he would have really hated med school even more...

So, my advice is to really keep an open mind ~ you never know what you may end up really loving but if you always consider it your "fallback" or "backup" option you''re not giving yourself that opportunity. Am I making sense? And, while it may be your fallback, I think you will do better in the interview if you can convince yourself (at least for the time being) that this is your first choice. I think some people can really sense a lack of enthusiasm or passion and that could potentially hurt your interview performance. So... my best advice is to maybe do some internet research over the next day or so (although you may have already done this) into the dental field and its specialties. Maybe something may sound interesting or challenging enough to get you a little ramped up and excited about the possibilities and a potential career in that area?

Good luck!!l

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Ally: You will be great. I have no worries. I believe in you. Wishing you all the best!!!

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 11:28:15 PM
Author: heartsonfire
Ally: You will be great. I have no worries. I believe in you. Wishing you all the best!!!

I second that. I believe in you whole-heartedly! Almost missed telling you good luck before the big day. It''s all about you and what great value you''ll bring to the organization. Just remember that and everything else everyone wrote. heh
2.gif
2.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend ran through a mock interview with me, and he said I was good. So I feel a lot better. Calmer, less of a basketcase. Although I did CRY last night. At least it''s out of my system.

Twinkletoes, Hearts, Cute330: Thanks for the well wishes. Tomorrow 10:30. Ally will be suffering the fires of hell
11.gif

Teebee: I forgot that your bf (husband to be) was a dentist. I know, I have this really closed mind toward this. I kind of think that for me (not everyone) just me, dentistry is all about the money. Because I was never interested in it etc. I had thought at some point that I could do oral surgery, but there is only two schools in Quebec that have it. One school takes 2 students, the other 1. So that''s a grand total of 3!! Therefore....I am probably not getting in! I keep telling myself that there are a lot of fields in dentistry and I could probably do work that is close in some ways to medicine. Maybe I am just a brat and can''t handle not getting what I want. And I remember reading your post about all of the loans your bf had to take out to start a practice and it scares me! I''ll probably be asking you for advice in posts to come.

Bye girls! Thanks for being amazing!

Ally

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Hope I''m not too late!!!

Good luck!!! Brake a leg!!! Succes (as they say in Holland!!!)

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2005 6
6.gif
0:19 PM
Author: allycat0303
My boyfriend ran through a mock interview with me, and he said I was good. So I feel a lot better. Calmer, less of a basketcase. Although I did CRY last night. At least it''s out of my system.

Twinkletoes, Hearts, Cute330: Thanks for the well wishes. Tomorrow 10:30. Ally will be suffering the fires of hell
11.gif

Teebee: I forgot that your bf (husband to be) was a dentist. I know, I have this really closed mind toward this. I kind of think that for me (not everyone) just me, dentistry is all about the money. Because I was never interested in it etc. I had thought at some point that I could do oral surgery, but there is only two schools in Quebec that have it. One school takes 2 students, the other 1. So that''s a grand total of 3!! Therefore....I am probably not getting in! I keep telling myself that there are a lot of fields in dentistry and I could probably do work that is close in some ways to medicine. Maybe I am just a brat and can''t handle not getting what I want. And I remember reading your post about all of the loans your bf had to take out to start a practice and it scares me! I''ll probably be asking you for advice in posts to come.

Bye girls! Thanks for being amazing!

Ally
Glad you had a good mock interview & a good cry!!! Both of those should help a lot!!!

I certainly understand about it being about money since it is not your dream ~ it''s basically the same reason that I''ve gone back to school in the hopes of being accepted into a dental hygiene program... I''ve never been interested in it but it fits with my other criteria: 1) I don''t want to be tied to a desk & computer, 2) I want a flexible schedule and the ability to work part-time, 3) I want to be able to make enough money for it to be worth my time (as in, most careers do not allow for part-time work or if they do the hours suck or the pay sucks and it''s not worth it), and 4) I''m 31 and I don''t want to take years to "work my way up" or "pay my dues" or "intern" (so, as a hygienist, as soon as I graduate & am certified, that''s it, I''ve got a good job & make decent $$). So... it''s really about the money and schedule for me. Otherwise, I''d be doing interior design or something like that.

And, to be honest, that''s pretty much what my fiance did... His dream job would have something to do with hunting and fishing... But, he decided that instead of doing what he loved, he would do what he knew he was capable of in order to make enough money to be able to do the things he loved on the weekends! As for the loans... yeah, it sucks... but sometimes I think he may have jumped the gun a little? I think he bought his practice almost straight out of dental school. I know that working for himself was a priority... But a lot of his friends from dental school are still working as associates at someone else''s practice or have just now purchased their practice ~ I think they are more stabilized financially because they did not go into debt right away and had time to make good money (SAVE money) without the debt that goes with owning a practice...

Sorry for rambling.... And GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!! I will be sending positive vibes your way!!

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Ally,

A side note about the oral surgery statistics...someone has to be in those top 3 spots right? It might as well be you
2.gif

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Ally-
Oh girl, I am pulling for ya. I understand how nerve wracking it can be. You just have to relax and understand that you are an intelligent and capable person, which is precisely why you are in this position. It sounds like you are well preparing yourself and I am sure you will do great!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Ally I''ll be thinking about you today. Let us know how it went...I''m sure you will do great!!!

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Waiting to hear how great you did!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results