shape
carat
color
clarity

big conservative endorses Obama

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read an article that Christopher Buckley (son of William Buckley) has now come out and saying he is voting for Obama. He''s the guy who wrote "Thank you for smoking"

He has problems with the way McCain has comported himself in this election, but also says it''s not just that he''s voting against McCain,

"Obama has in him—I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy ''We are the people we have been waiting for'' silly rhetoric—the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for," Buckley wrote.

http://www.wral.com/golo/blogpost/3717882/

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
When reading the Times Op-Eds this morning I thought of this post.
Father and son have differences and changes...but so have the times.

Mr. Reagan, the ultimate political hero of so many Republicans, opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. In response to the historic Brown v. Board of Education school-desegregation ruling, William F. Buckley, the ultimate intellectual hero of so many Republicans, asserted that whites, being superior, were well within their rights to discriminate against blacks.

“The White community is so entitled,” he wrote, “because, for the time being, it is the advanced race...” He would later repudiate that sentiment, but only after it was clear that his racist view was harmful to himself.

The G.O.P. has done a great job masking the terrible consequences of much that it has stood for over the decades. Now the mask has slipped. As we survey the wreckage of the American economy and the real-life suffering associated with the financial crackup of 2008, it would be well for voters to draw upon the lessons of history and think more seriously about the consequences of the ballots they may cast in the future.
link

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
As I said on another thread: Chris is not Bill. His father would never have endorsed Obama. I won''t insult Obama supporters by explaining why.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I think we know why Bill would not endorse any candidate of color. His words make that very clear. A fiscal conservative, McCain is not either.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 12:47:49 PM
Author: swimmer
I think we know why Bill would not endorse any candidate of color. His words make that very clear. A fiscal conservative, McCain is not either.
Uh, that thought was not what occurred to me. There are many issues that would prevent Bill from liking, trusting, and endorsing Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results