shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel-set tourmalines???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushionladyESQ

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone,

I am working on a project right now, but have been getting advice that it is hard to set a tourmaline in a bezel setting because of its softness.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone have a bezel-set tourmaline?

Thanks!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Setting tourmaline in bezels is easy. The cutter just needs to make sure that the upper girdle edge is either rounded slightly or has a micro facet that bevels the edge slightly. This helps to distribute the load along the edge and prevent chipping, which is easy to do on a sharp edge. This is an image of a ring that I made for my son''s wife. The bezel is in a fairly stiff cast white gold. I used a hammer handpiece to compress the bezel and had no problems.

Emily1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not difficult but you MUST find a skilled benchperson who is familiar and at easy with setting uncommon gemstones, apart from the usual sapphires. I’ve had a peridot bezel set with no issues, and those are softer stones too.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
My avatar is my bezeled green tourmaline by Julia Kay Taylor...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
don''t have this in my hands yet, its enroute but here is an asscher pink tourmaline bezel slider pendant

tourmalineasscher.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having one bezel set by Julia Kay Taylor as we speak...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results