Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Vatche Grace Halo

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a .80 family diamond that was recut by BG and I set it in a milgrain bezel pendant. But I am finding that I don't wear it very much (and I can't see it when I do!), and I am considering setting it in a ring that I could wear as an alternate e-ring or it could even be a RHR for one of my girls eventually.

First question, do y'all think a .80 (6mm) is too small for the halo ring to look right? I don't like some of the tiny Tiffany Legacy rings I see on ebay, so I do think there is such a thing as too small. So please be honest and tell me if you think it needs to stay where it is!

Second question, I would have to decide between Vatche Grace or one of the Beverley K halos, so which would you choose? These are pretty expensive, so I don't want to spend even more for custom by Victor or Steven. The Grace would probably look good with my Legacy band, which would be a plus. The BK might have to have another band, but that is not a big deal because I could even get the BK in wg since it wouldn't be my only set. But I don't know if one is better quality than the other because I have only seen Vatche rings in person.

Here are the pictures of the Vatche and one BK. I haven't seen any of the BK rings so there might be a better one than this, but I am just showing it as an example. And if you have other suggestions, that would be great, too! Thanks!

vatchegrace.png

BK111PP18.jpg

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think .80 is small at all!!! I like the Vatche Halo and it will look beautiful!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think 0.8 ct is too small. My mom has a 0.78ct diamond passed down from my grandma and I had it reset in a halo setting too. See post:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/putting-a-halo-around-my-grandmas-bling.162281/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/putting-a-halo-around-my-grandmas-bling.162281/[/URL]

She loves it and wears it everyday now. The diameter actually looks like a 1.5 ct from far away because of the halo. It looks bigger than my 1.22 ct. Here's a pic of it on my hand. My ring size is 4.5 but the ring is sized at 5.5 for your reference.

7-13-2011%204-06-21%20PM.jpg

Sorry for the huge picture :shock: Don't know how to size down.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to mention I also love the Vatche Halo more ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OCgirl|1321049152|3059846 said:
I don't think 0.8 ct is too small. My mom has a 0.78ct diamond passed down from my grandma and I had it reset in a halo setting too. See post:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/putting-a-halo-around-my-grandmas-bling.162281/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/putting-a-halo-around-my-grandmas-bling.162281/[/URL]

She loves it and wears it everyday now. The diameter actually looks like a 1.5 ct from far away because of the halo. It looks bigger than my 1.22 ct. Here's a pic of it on my hand. My ring size is 4.5 but the ring is sized at 5.5 for your reference.

7-13-2011%204-06-21%20PM.jpg

Sorry for the huge picture :shock: Don't know how to size down.

Wow, well that is almost the same size stone and it happens to be my ring size as well! It does look really nice! My diamond also comes from my mother's side! Thanks!

diamondrnglover...thanks, too!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
D&T|1321050312|3059862 said:
I voted for the Vatche, but just to throw some other halos out there by Gabriel & Co

http://www.gabrielengaged.com/styles?category=ER&style=Halo&collection=Contemporary

Thanks! This one is really pretty and very similar to the Vatche. I have no idea how the two compare in quality, though!

http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7525W44JJ

I really like the scroll detail on the G&Co one! I"m not sure either on the quality? ID jewelry oders from Both Designer and so does GOG hmm? man it would be really pretty and educational if we were able to see them side by side :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS I absolutely do not think that .80 is too small for a halo like that! In fact, I think it is about the perfect size because when haloed, the final ring has about the same (or greater) diameter as a 1.75ct diamond solitaire. I personally would not want more finger coverage than that. There have been many many awesome haloes with stones that size. Check out the show me the halos thread!

My OEC is also .80 and I plan to halo this puppy one day. I would love to see what you end up with.

I am not personally a fan of the undergallery of the Grace. I prefer the undergallery of the BK. But I don't like the diamonds on the undergallery, will eat any other rings and seems a waste to me ;)) But I prefer the BK.

I actually prefer some of the JBeg haloes more, not sure if the price works.

LOVE this undergallery!

And thank you D&T for lining the Gabiel and Co. Stuff! I am totally obsessed with some of those rings now for my OEC!!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE this undergallery!

And thank you D&T for lining the Gabiel and Co. Stuff! I am totally obsessed with some of those rings now for my OEC!!!
Anytime :wavey:
Isn't it just Gorgeous! i might have to say that this is probaly my favorite halo thus far :love: :love: with a touch of whimsy on the scroll.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others that your stone isn't too small for a halo and in fact that is the perfect size for one in my opinion. All of the halos that have been discussed are quite lovely, but personally I love a halo with a plain shank.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the .80 will look huge in a halo! In fact, I prefer stones under a carat for halo settings. I like both--you really can't go wrong. Maybe I give a slight edge to the Bev K.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were for an e-ring I would pick the Vatche but for a RHR I pick the Bev K because it looks a little more ornate and less
like an e-ring to me. I like them both though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Dreamer! Your stone will be gorgeous in a halo! I actually just found a thread with a .80 in the Vatche and it really does look like a nice size!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged.78991/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged.78991/[/URL]

But, I agree that the undergallery is really beautiful on the G&Co. I just remembered there is a big jeweler in my nearest big city that carries both and is having a 20% off sale next weekend, so I am getting quotes for both! I am getting some quotes from GOG, too. I surely hope someone can chime in about the quality of G&Co. compared to Vatche.

Thanks Laila and tyty!! I am glad everyone thinks the size is good for a halo! I don't know why I didn't think of this when I had that diamond recut!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
re Gabriel and Co--I've heard they are pretty good quality. I was looking at some of their halos for my 0.98 carat reset. Their prices are great, too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1321052953|3059893 said:
re Gabriel and Co--I've heard they are pretty good quality. I was looking at some of their halos for my 0.98 carat reset. Their prices are great, too!

They have nice quality Laila, I haven't seen their settings but I've seen several bands by them. The melee worried me as it was listed at lower quality than I was used to online, but in real life the pieces were gorgeous.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, thanks, Gypsy! I was hoping you would stop in because I feel like you are a halo expert and we like many of the same designs! I love :love: the Vatche you linked, and it would be probably better than the Grace for a RHR, but I know I'd wear it more as an ering and I think the Grace style might work better. I love the BK one that you wrote "love" by, too! I had not seen that one before!

But you have seen BK rings in person, right? Would you be satisfied with the quality for an ering? Or do you think it is worth paying for Victor or SK? I have no earthly idea how much they'd charge, but the Vatche Grace in plat is around $3k, and I can't stand to think of paying more than that!

(I am considering changing my H&A diamond for an AVR, and I might go with a BK set I saw on PS for that. But I am not sure yet about giving up my H&A stone, so that is why I am trying to think about BK even for that.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm.

Do I think SK or Victor are worth it. Well I have an SK I'm thrilled with so, I do think his work is impeccable and I certainly think it was worth what I paid.

BUT if I had a round, I don't think I would have gone the custom route. And yes, I would have been very happy with Beverly K's quality. In fact I looked at three of their settings very closely for my original reset but ultimately I wanted something that followed the lines of my asscher in a way I could only get with custom.

I didn't realize this was for an engagement replacement, interesting. Yes, I see why that Vatche wouldn't be a good choice in that instance.

Do you care about flush fit bands?

These are my two favorite engagement ring Beverly K's:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/104PP1/ I think this one is only for huge stones, though I could be wrong. I just think it's proportions are perfect with their centers (and they do adjust the proportions to the stone size)

http://www.beverleyk.com/semi-mounts/8wr1181-c-7-0rd-d-d-m.html reposted

That said, if you had your heart set on something LIKE the Legacy, but made MUCH better and prettier I would go custom and I would TOTALLY tweak the proportions, get much nicer milgrain, and have a nicer gallery finer pave details. And yes, I would pick Victor or SK, but I don't think they will be under 3K. Every time I look at the Legacy I think... it's got potential but I wish someone would remake it better. And I think it could be done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I realized that my last post was totally confusing! I have two potential projects going on!

1) I want to reset the .80 in a setting that can be a secondary ering for me, just for variety. That is why I am trying not to spend a fortune, but I want really good quality because this will be handed down in the family (and I'd want it to be able to be worn as a RHR).

2) I may sell my 1.6 rb and start over. Part of me wants a Tiffany repro setting this time to wear with my Legacy wb, but the other part wants an AV stone to set in a solitaire (not halo) and in that case, I'd go with an antique style rather than plain solitaire.

I don't want all the rings to look alike and that is why I am trying to sort out what I want for the two rings.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this won't be your primary e-ring I'd probably opt for the vatche or the Beverley K. I just wouldn't want to pay the custom pricing for a RHR or a 2nd or 3rd ering. But, I'd still want a very nice, heirloom quality piece. I think both Vatche and Beverley K make a beautiful, quality pieces so it would probably come down to pricing for me. I love the BK that Gypsy linked but the Vatche is really pretty too. Having owned a Vatche at one time I can attest to the quality and I think you'd be happy with them. BK is wonderful too, especially for the pricepoint. The BK has a slight edge for me, but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and the .80 is plenty big enough! Of couse, Victor and Steven do amazing work so that would be a great choice but will cost more IMO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whew... okay.

So here are my thoughts. This one gets my vote for the eighty pointer: http://www.beverleyk.com/semi-mounts/8wr1181-c-7-0rd-d-d-m.html It works as both an engagement ring and a RHR. Has the right proportions, is contemporary enough design that even if you went with a Van Caeynest for your other ring it would look different, but still has nice milgrain and other touches that would keep it looking vintage-ish next to a Tiffany 6 prong. It's a great design that will endure and not date, IMO, in a bad way and I think that anyone getting it down the line would be thrilled with it. Even if they don't adore it, they can have it set with a sapphire for a killer colored stone ring. And then they can do whatever they want to the eighty pointer since the setting is prong set it will be easy to change stones.

For your other ring-- I can't advise you on shape. But once you decide on a shape it will be easy to make sure we pick something for you that doesn't blend with the 80 pointer's setting. If you wanted to know about my thoughts regarding VC and Steven for this project, it depends on what you ultimately decide you want. But obviously for a Tiffany Six prong they wouldn't be my first choice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial...yes, I do like the plain shank ones, too! So hard to decide!

MrsS...yes, you are very right that pricing will have a lot to do with the decision. I think I would love either V or BK, so it would be hard to go wrong!

Gypsy...I love several of your suggestions on the BK list! It makes it hard to decide! It would be interesting to get a quote on a custom Legacy style repro, though. It would be a good ring for them to add to their portfolios, actually, but I need to save most of my setting money for my main set, I think. I am all over the place on that. So that will have to be another thread another day! But I am going to get this little ring done to tide me over!

SandyCheeks....There is a jeweler in a nearby city that carries Vatche and Gabriel (and tons of others) but not BK, and I would only buy from them if they have these on sale. I would get BK from either Good Old Gold or Pearlmans.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi diamondseeker!

WIth your budget (up to $3k I believe), you could go custom with ERD. Also, as an added bonus, Chris used to work for Vatche, and if that's a look you like, he'd be a great person to work with.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1321060772|3060002 said:
Hi diamondseeker!

WIth your budget (up to $3k I believe), you could go custom with ERD. Also, as an added bonus, Chris used to work for Vatche, and if that's a look you like, he'd be a great person to work with.

Hmm, that is an idea I had not thought of, thanks! I'll go check out their site to see if they have made anything similar!

Oh, wow, just look at these!!!!

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/royal-t-collection-pclid-16.html

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like ERD, but I don't like their Legacy repro. To be honest I don't like any of the CAD versions of it. Weird but true.

It would be a good thing for their portfolio though, you are right.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1321063384|3060027 said:
I like ERD, but I don't like their Legacy repro. To be honest I don't like any of the CAD versions of it. Weird but true.

It would be a good thing for their portfolio though, you are right.

I was just surprised to see some very pretty deco settings! Not necessarily for my stone, but so pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results