shape
carat
color
clarity

between radiant and cussion cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monikaJ

Rough_Rock
right!!!!
where does one start????
i am looking to purchase a 20 ct fancy intense yellow diamond
vvs1 - vs1 clarity

i have had a look at so many and still have trouble deciding ...
how much should it cost??
which one sparcles more??
what depth should it be 60% and over ???? i have been told

thanks xx
21.gif

SIZE SHAPE COLOUR CLARITY PRICE: GB POUNDS

these are the one i have looked so far:

20.78CT RADIANT FANCY YELLOW VS2 £169,000
18.78CT CUSSION SQUARE FANCY YELLOW VVS2 £163,000
20.10CT RADIANT ROUND FANCY INTENSE YL VS2 £225,000
CORNER RECTANGULAR
20.62 cusshion modified fancy intense yellow vs1 £240,000
23.02 ct RADIANT FANCY YELLOW VS2 £187,000
22.78CT RADIANT FANCY YELLOW VS1 £200,000
28CT CUSHION FANCY YELLOW VS1 £267,500
20CT RADIANT FANCY YELLOW £197,000
19.12 RADIANT FANCY INTENSE YLW INT FLAWLESS £220,00

only if i knoew how to attach pics?????
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Monika
35.gif
Firstly, just keep it to one thread in Rocky Talk as it can get confusing with multiple threads
2.gif
. Wow, I really think you need some expert help here with the sort of diamond and budget you are considering, all I can offer is to look at both Radiants and Cushions in person to see which you like best, especially in that monster size! They are quite different from each other and you will find each shape has it's supporters, but the choice is yours. I see you priced in pounds, so we are talking about a heck of a lot of money! I think for your budget, you really should include some expert help here and I should imagine wherever you purchase from would be more than willing to provide every expertise you need. Who has these diamonds? These have to be with an incredible high end store etc so I am sure they will treat you with every care and attention and advise you all the way.

I hope this helps a bit and you know we will want pics don't you?????? 20 CARATS!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Monika hi,
In yellow diamonds the most important thing is color and the diamonds overall make. Clarity is second (unless very low) and will not change the price much.
Brilliance and fire are a product of the cut quality but most 20 carat diamond are cut quite good.
The quality of the ring is also very important since the color of the diamond can be affected by this.
If I am not mistaken the prices you quote are very very good. If you can get a 20 carat Intense yellow for 220,000 pounds (about $380,000) you should grab it since the price is way below market.
Good luck,

Michael

www.thediamond.com

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Michael, how to make sure that the color is not enhanced and diamond is genuine?

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Well...
On a 20 carat Intense diamond "don't try it at home".
99% of these diamonds are GIA certified as they are the standard for big yellow diamonds.
So if someone is trying to sell you a 20 carat diamond not certified by the GIA that should light up a big red flag.
Treatments in the yellow spectrum of colors is by irradiation. Most irradiated diamonds look kind of "neon" looking but to an un-suspecting eye it may look normal. The GIA can detect it with great ease and their policy is not to certify treated diamonds. If the diamond has gone through some sort of high pressure high temperature treatment the GIA will note it on the certificate itself.
As far as I know any other treatment will not get certified by the GIA at all.
Hope this helps
34.gif

Michael Scheiner

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
You know, I see yellow radiants all over the place but I don''t think I have ever seen a yellow cushion. I know I read somewhere that yellow diamonds are often cut into radiants because they show off the color so well. Does anyone know if this is true and if yellow cushions are more rare or if they do not show off the color as well?

monikaJ

Rough_Rock
you know guys i have had a look at som many ,,
now finally i have decided on the yellow...
and was going for the radiant . but now i have seen the cusion modified , and it looks so pretty...
i have learned so much and really wanteda flawles which i did find but then was told that it does not matter as much as colour..

And £220,000-£250,000 seems so reasonable .., right????

help!!!!
35.gif

monikaJ

Rough_Rock
hmmm the web site is not working ....
18.gif

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Monica,

Why would you want a cussin'' cut? Is this one of those dom/sub situations where you crave abuse?

Sorry, I couldn''t resist.
2.gif
Really, couldn''t resist. Whip me, beat me.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hey Richard, I know you just playing but not everyone has English as the first language - I''m sure you know that
21.gif

monikaJ

Rough_Rock
last 2 people , that was not ver helpfull at all

lets start again .

dushion modified brilliant
20.62 ct
depth 68.9%
vs1
polishes very good
fancy intense yellow

£250,000

what do you gy think??
its meant to be a whole sale price , i was just wondering if u cN HELP ME WITH ANY ADVICE .
THANKS SO MUCH

X
30.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2006 6:51:59 AM
Author: monikaJ

what do you gy think??

its meant to be a whole sale price

Can''t imagine what ''wholesale'' can possibly mean for such an item. Goodness... ''bet there isn''t a cart load of 20 carat FIY diamonds somewhere being bartered ''wholesale''. Yikes!

I''d feel so foolish volunteering some 2c line on the subject. However, would not feel foolish at all asking for expert advice on such a purchase - unless it really is a relative dime for you. And there isn''t a huge variety of sources of such advice I would know to turn to: either the seller himself (assuming he is not the owner of the stones and has good motive to hunt down a choice piece for you), or an appraiser with appropriate experience. There is a bit of art involved judging diamonds like this, and I don''t think much can be done online.

Anyway, it may not be possible to judge color and cut through a computer screen, but this doesn''t mean pictures are not welcome after all is said and done.
9.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
All right, we'll try to be helpful.
1.gif

Michael already said it all above: assuming the stone is genuine, the price sounds great. Make sure the stone is not treated and comes with original GIA grading report.

For more assurance you should hire a competent and independent appraiser/gemologist who will examine the stone for you.

good luck.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
33.gif
Is this post for real?

Cynical Blod

Perhaps The Duchess of Cornwall is looking for a RHR
31.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.sothebysdiamonds.com/

Date: 3/24/2006 5:45:14 PM
Author: jazmine

I know I read somewhere that yellow diamonds are often cut into radiants because they show off the color so well. Does anyone know if this is true and if yellow cushions are more rare or if they do not show off the color as well?

I believe the bit about the radiant cut showing color better... heard it a million times w/o a good explanation, and then managed my own guess of the how and why.
38.gif
'Wish I had a good source to link up here.

I wouldn't know to say whether radiants or cushions are more numerous - there seem to be more of either around and than any other shape. However, much of the yellow cushions are close cousins of the radiant: having some version of barion style pavilion and a brilliant crown. Sometimes colored ovals come with similar facet styles - and a branded cut called 'Sun burst' makes an example of such ovals.
34.gif

Anyway, thre's a pretty impressive example of a yellow cushion with a tell-tale radiant pavilion down here if you care to click
5.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most pavilion Brilliant type faceting (like the Radiants and Cushions etc. etc.) capture body color better that regular RB or step-cuts because they have the Barion effect..., combine it with a low (31 to 36 degrees) pavilion and "painted" brilianteering = results more even color facing up.

Its much rarer to find an RB or even a Cushion Brilliant and even rarer are step-cuts in a Saturated color hue.

That explaines the price differences between these Fancy colors shapes.

A radiant will cost X,
A cushion brilliant will cost appr. X + 30 -40 %
A regular RB and a step-cut will cost X times 2 (and even 3 in some amazing Hue''s)

And i am giving examples of the same weight and clarity and golor grade.
Dealing with Fancy colors is a very speculative game...

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results