shape
carat
color
clarity

Best white gold alloys without rhodium?

EastCoaster

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I've posted in the colored stone forum about an engagement ring I'm having made. I want to have it set in white gold without rhodium plating. I'm trying to figure out how to get the right alloy. I hope that I'm posting in the right forum. Please direct me elsewhere if I'm not.

Okay. I've read a number of posts on this, and I've seen Stuller's X1 mentioned as well as Cobb's Precise White and then something about a company called argen. I've also read about palladium white gold alloys.

Which ones are fairly white and fairly easy for a jeweler to work with? The woman who is designing my ring does her own white gold work but has to send out her platinum because of the higher temperatures required. I don't think she likes palladium very much as a metal and was recommending against a palladium white gold unless I was allergic to nickel.

I really like her designs, but I am a bit nervous, because when I mentioend Stuller X1 and Cobb Precise White, she said that that was just branding..

I don't know what she uses. I know that she blends her own rose gold. I'd like to stick with her and am wondering what kind of information I need to bring her. I am wondering whether she doesn't use Stuller because it is harder to work with without more expensive equipment. That's why I asked about ease of use for the jeweler.

Thanks

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EastCoaster|1379436653|3522364 said:
Hi,

I don't think she likes palladium very much as a metal and was recommending against a palladium white gold unless I was allergic to nickel.

I really like her designs, but I am a bit nervous, because when I mentioend Stuller X1 and Cobb Precise White, she said that that was just branding..

I don't know what she uses. I know that she blends her own rose gold. I'd like to stick with her and am wondering what kind of information I need to bring her. I am wondering whether she doesn't use Stuller because it is harder to work with without more expensive equipment. That's why I asked about ease of use for the jeweler.

Since she appears to be the one with the issues, you had better ask her why she doesn't like palladium; what she does like; and why. If you want to stick with her, I mean. What good would it do to find out what is best if she is going to decide everything based on her own eccentricities?

Deb
:saint:

EastCoaster

Rough_Rock
Deb, you ask some tough, but good questions.

So, there was one jeweler I saw who seemed to think that you should pick the setting you want and then add the stones, because melee or whatever could be added later. This contradicts what everyone on pricescope says, but it seemed that --despite his having traded gemstones in the 70's--his interests were more in metal and the metalwork. He loved palladium and was against rhodium plating. (He also did some 22K gold bracelets.

I will ask her what her issues are with palladium. I have an appointment to see her this Monday, but I would like to be as informed as possible about the different alloys in advance so that I can ask her questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results