shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to work with Pricescope vendors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
After lurking for a long time, we may finally be purchasing an engagement ring. I have narrowed down the vendors here to three, due to so many positive referrals.

I''ve given my boyfriend some general ideas, but since I''m not set on getting a ring, I''m letting him decide what he would like to do. I gave him some vendors and specific people that seem to be very responsive. However, I have never contacted any of these people myself. My question is this: are pricescope vendors really that responsive? I did a search and came up with one pricescope vendors rant about how so many of them (actually three) dropped the ball for this one buyer. Some felt that these vendors might be experiencing some growing pains.

I think I would be patient, but my boyfriend may be turned off from buying over the internet if he gets frustrated - and may go to a B&M store.
6.gif
He''s a bit skittish about purchasing a diamond over the Internet anyway, so I want to start him off on the right foot. I see Mark Turnowski''s name a lot for cushions, and on their site it says he''s the president. It seems to me with all the inquiries he would get, it would be hard to do his job well (not picking on him btw...I''m just using him as an example.) Others I am interested in are Jonathan at GOG and Lesley at Whiteflash.

Any recommendations on how to help these folks consider us as a serious inquiry? Would it be better to call and ask for them personally, or email them with specifics on what we are looking for? Any recent experiences would be helpful. BTW, we are in California...so in person appointments would not be possible. I''ve done a search on some of these vendors for experiences, but a lot of them don''t seem recent.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the vendors you have mentioned are awesome. I would have you boyfriend call them and have a talk with them. Emailing is fine but the response time can lag in some cases. I have never worked with Mark but have only heard positive things about him. I bought my asscher from Jonathon and he spent a lot of time working with me over the phone. I guess it comes down to who he is most comfortable with. Lesley is great too. Let us know how it goes and good luck!!!
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that calling would be the direction I''d go. Emails can sometimes get lost and if your BF is a bit nervous and doesn''t get a super quick response he may feel disheartened. A simple phone call can help put him at ease and all the vendors you mentioned are very reputable and friendly. Misaps can happen with any vendor but can also happen with a local jeweler as in any customer service business. Of the 3 vendors you listed I have only worked with WF but it was a very easy process from the get go..Congrats on you future e-ring
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I third calling in and speaking with people, emails can not always be reliable.

From what I have read on here in my 3+ years here, basically EVERY PS vendor has had a problem here or there in communication or miscommunication, or similar so I wouldn''t necessarily hold that against anyone. But they do typically have graet stones so sometimes you give a bit of leeway for that...unfortunate but true!!

I have found that the squeaky wheel gets the oil and when you talk to vendors, clarify and double clarify everything. After the phone conversations, send follow up emails with the details you discussed and ask them to confirm. It''s somewhat detail oriented but at least that way you KNOW that they are on the same page as you all the time. Sometimes this stuff can get tricky.

Good luck!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Your bf can email Mark Turnowski- no problem. He responds very quickly to emails,sometimes within minutes. We bought my diamond from him and almost 95% of all communication was over email, and everything went very smoothly. Mark is definitely very easy to work with....

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in agreement with Mara...phone contact and email.
I just bought my RB from Wink (Winfields). I first contacted him on a Saturday late afternoon through his website and he got back to me on Saturday! And not just once like 3-4 other times. Then we talked on the phone and emailed and more phone. We''ve done both and it''s worked out well for us. But I think initially an email is ok and then I''d put the phone to good use especially if they don''t get back to him right away if they are busy. I was pleasantly surprise by the level of customer service Wink gave me. He totally exceeded my expectations.
I think all of the vendors you''ve picked will give you great service. I think as much effort as he''s willing to put in the vendor will put forth an equal amount. Good luck!

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
Have only worked with Mark but can say I emailed him at least every day for nearly a month, sometimes twice a day and he got back to me ASAP. I spoke to him only twice on the phone throughout the whole process and it all went smoothly. Can't recommend his service enough. Am sure the other vendors would be great too.

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Do yourself a favor and at least get in touch with Mark first, and let him know what your looking for!

Heres my saga.

Emailed just about every PS vendor there was, and pretty much got nowhere, somewhere in there I spoke with Mark, he was VERY calm and collected and really took a TON of pressure off me. He said to give him some time and let him see what he could come up with. I continued working with people from Whiteflash, DCD, and union Diamond. Mark finally found my stone, and put it in a platinum setting for me just like I had wanted. I got everything I wanted out of my ring, where I was about to sacrifice the setting in order to stay within my budget with some of the other vendors. Anyways, I have not received my ring yet (hopefully tomorrow) but I can say that he was VERY responsive, and a pleasure to work with.

I will definatly work with him in the future, especially because he has the lifetime 20% tradeup policy!

Good Luck

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
I purchased a diamond from GOG. Both my email and phone communications were responded to quickly and professionally. Additionally, when I was having the diamond mounted at a local jewler, I called GOG with a question. Jonathon returned my call within 5 minutes. From my experience with GOG, I''d recommend them without hesitation.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I think that WF just finished a move from their 1000 sq. ft. processing center to a 4,000sq ft. processing center. I would call them as opposed to e-mail. That''s a huge move.

shay

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input, it is much appreciated! After lurking for so long, it''s nice to actually post and get such helpful responses. :)

I see there is an internet vendor and eyeclean thread that is going on right now, which was one of my concerns, so that one is pretty educational. But I do have one more question that might be a sensitive subject.

When you contacted these vendors, did you just say "I am looking for X, X and X. My budget is X...can you find me the best stone for this?" Or did you just say what you wanted only and tried to negotiate price later after they gave you choices? It seems to me that the most helpful thing to do is give the vendors a budget. I just don''t know if price is ever negotiable on diamonds, or if you have to trust that vendors give you the best "deal." I come from a haggling culture!
20.gif

Jake_Needs_Help

Rough_Rock
Yes, I would like to know about the negotiating too!!!

I read somewhere that "Jewelers are just car salesmen without the donuts." But I think that was meant to apply to B&M stores, and is probably not a very good comparison anyhow. Are the online prices (at, say, WF) negotiable? My guess is that priced as low as they are, the prices are set. This is one part of buying things that makes me very nervous, as I do not come from a "haggling culture." Wanna do it for me, TravelingGal?

Would it be in bad taste, for instance, for me to haggle on a price at WF and then be sure to mention PS for the possible discount?

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 12:21:13 PM
Author: Jake_Needs_Help

I read somewhere that ''Jewelers are just car salesmen without the donuts.'' But I think that was meant to apply to B&M stores, and is probably not a very good comparison anyhow. Are the online prices (at, say, WF) negotiable? My guess is that priced as low as they are, the prices are set. This is one part of buying things that makes me very nervous, as I do not come from a ''haggling culture.'' Wanna do it for me, TravelingGal?

Would it be in bad taste, for instance, for me to haggle on a price at WF and then be sure to mention PS for the possible discount?
In a B&M jewelry store there is almost always room to play around a little with the price but unfortunately that is not the case with these vendors. The prices are already so low.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 12:21:13 PM
Author: Jake_Needs_Help

I read somewhere that ''Jewelers are just car salesmen without the donuts.'' But I think that was meant to apply to B&M stores, and is probably not a very good comparison anyhow. Are the online prices (at, say, WF) negotiable? My guess is that priced as low as they are, the prices are set. This is one part of buying things that makes me very nervous, as I do not come from a ''haggling culture.'' Wanna do it for me, TravelingGal?

Wish I could Jake, but I HATE haggling. I come from a culture that does it a lot, and I am not comfortable with it. But because I see that it often does yield results, I sometimes feel like I am leaving money on the table if I don''t haggle in places where it seems possible. Years and years ago when my father was buying me my first car, he haggled down to the last 50 cents!
20.gif
I found two quarters in my bag and just begged for the madness to end....

I would be fine with the set prices for online vendors...it would just make life easier.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would be up front about your budget if you are going to have them search. No need to have them searching for things you cannot afford IMHO.
I was searching the ''pricescope my diamond'' for weeks looking for something within my budget. I found a few things but nothing that I was really interested in until Wink''s diamond popped up. When I emailed him from his website, I gave him the specifics on THAT DIAMOND. So we focused on that. But I know I''ve read about many others who have contacted vendors with their budget and specs and had them on the hunt for their diamonds. I think either way it''s going to be as much effort as you put forth that they will put forth at least that and then some.
HTH...good luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 12:47:08 PM
Author: Small
I personally would be up front about your budget if you are going to have them search. No need to have them searching for things you cannot afford IMHO.
I was searching the ''pricescope my diamond'' for weeks looking for something within my budget. I found a few things but nothing that I was really interested in until Wink''s diamond popped up. When I emailed him from his website, I gave him the specifics on THAT DIAMOND. So we focused on that. But I know I''ve read about many others who have contacted vendors with their budget and specs and had them on the hunt for their diamonds. I think either way it''s going to be as much effort as you put forth that they will put forth at least that and then some.
HTH...good luck!
Very good advice.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 9:09:28 AM
Author: kevinyonker
I purchased a diamond from GOG. Both my email and phone communications were responded to quickly and professionally. Additionally, when I was having the diamond mounted at a local jewler, I called GOG with a question. Jonathon returned my call within 5 minutes. From my experience with GOG, I''d recommend them without hesitation.
I ditto everything you said...When I had questions during my purchse of my cushion, if they could not answer it right there and then, Tim or Jon or even Charlie called me inside of 5 minutes with not only an answer to my question or questions but gave me their time for additional questions or concerns...I am extremely impressed with GOG. They also respond in a timely fashion via email as well...I recommend them as well!
emthup.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Riverside, CA...so hello to a fellow PSer!
emhot.gif
I truly appreciated GOG and their willingness to call me even when it was way past closing for them. Whiteflash, though I didn''t end up purchasing from them, were very congenial and also very professional. Mark T. was great and when we didn''t play phone tag, we were able to connect. As I already mentioned, I had an exceptional experience with GOG. Quite frankly, on PS there will always be someone who will be cheering for this or that vendor...just so you know.

I knew for me, 3/4 of a positive experience of purchasing my diamond would come from clear, honest communication and a little humor thrown in really helped me.
emsmilep.gif
Diamond shopping is stressful!
emcrook.gif
If you are having a hard time reaching your vendor or he or she doesn''t really listen or return your calls swiftly, it layers on the stress...which you don''t need. I NEVER had that problem with GOG. NEVER.

BTW, where do you live in CA?

If you want further info on my experiences with any of these vendors, you are welcome to contact me directly...anything to help a fellow CA PSer!
emotion-5.gif

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
I have been using WF and I''ve been searching for the diamond myself. I called Ron and told him what diamond # I''m interested in. After a quick discussion about the diamond (cut parameters, intended setting, etc), Ron makes the arrangements to get the diamond in on memo (they seem to have very few Marquise diamonds in stock). I had to give him my CC info to cover the shipping if I don''t end up buying it, but I figure this is more than fair considering the time they will be putting into it (Ideal-scope, Sarin, photos, etc).

So far, I like how the process is treating me. It''s almost moving so smoothly that it''s scary. I haven''t even finished reading Newman''s "Diamond Ring Buying Guide" or Cuellar''s "How to Buy a Diamond" and I''m almost ready to make my decision!

-Tim

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would give them as much information as possible up front including a budget...you don''t want them finding you filet mignon on a hamburger budget or vice versa!!

also stress what your priorities are. aka are you really sensitive on color or clarity? i would say this is my IDEAL but i''m willing to drop on XYZ in order to get a larger stone or a whiter stone or whatever. that way they can look for what you really want but if it falls just out of your budget, there can be alternatives that are focused on your priorities. i find that the more information you give them, the better they can do their job.

good luck!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again everyone!

That makes sense Mara...I don''t need a filet mignon...but maybe a gourmet hamburger that has that first bite wow factor, and just leaves you feeling satisfied!
1.gif
I do like your suggestion of giving parameters on what I could do prioritizing, although honestly I don''t know what they are. No one at a B&M store is going to really walk me through the differences well, and I would feel bad getting a good lesson from them if I wasn''t planning on buying them anyway. I''ve read so many tutorials, but seeing the real thing makes a huge difference. I have no idea what I am sensitive to.

I''ll probably stop by Robbins Bros today to check out some settings I am interested in (Jeff Cooper) so maybe I''ll just ask a few questions there and see what they say. But the last time I went to Robbins Bros to help my cousin check out rings, it left such an awful taste in our mouths that we both decided we couldn''t put our boyfriends through the pain of buying a ring, and figured we''d do without! That was in August of 2005, and I pretty much stopped lurking here too, thinking that ring buying wasn''t worth the pain!
14.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
UGH! I hate Robbins Brothers!

I went to check out a couple of settings with my mom. Why is it when you don''t have a man with you, they don''t take you seriously? I asked them about what I could see in a square diamond, and they had princess, radiant and asscher, none of which are really what I want. I told him I wanted something squarish, but with more of the sparkle of a round. He just looked at me and didn''t say anything. Then he told me the most important thing in buying a ring is picking the setting first, and "the diamond will take care of itself." Exact quote he gave me. I''d like to understand how exactly that happens...perhaps it just dive bombs into the setting before my very eyes? I guess research doesn''t matter, because it will take care of itself!!!
38.gif

So they didn''t give me the time of day. And here''s the irony of it all...I was just having lunch with my mom today and gave her the news that we picked a date. Coincidentally, she picked today to give me a surprise she had been saving for some time. 10K in cash. We walked out of the store and drove home, and she shocked me by giving me an envelope with the money (which I have since run to the bank to put some in). I initially refused it, but mom''s are funny. We grew up poor and my parents still are poor...but somehow my mother keeps finding ways to save her pennies.

Anyway, I am just keeping it for her in case she needs it (I don''t have the heart to use it for anything, as I have money of my own). But I couldn''t help but think as I looked at the money that Robbins Brothers lost their chance for ANY sale (was thinking more the setting, and not the stone).

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/14/2006 11:33:44 PM
Author: Small
I''m in agreement with Mara...phone contact and email.
I just bought my RB from Wink (Winfields). I first contacted him on a Saturday late afternoon through his website and he got back to me on Saturday! And not just once like 3-4 other times. Then we talked on the phone and emailed and more phone. We''ve done both and it''s worked out well for us. But I think initially an email is ok and then I''d put the phone to good use especially if they don''t get back to him right away if they are busy. I was pleasantly surprise by the level of customer service Wink gave me. He totally exceeded my expectations.
I think all of the vendors you''ve picked will give you great service. I think as much effort as he''s willing to put in the vendor will put forth an equal amount. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind words. Like every one else I do have growing pains from time to time, but we try.

My advice would be similar to others, either call or email, depending on YOUR needs. Some of my clients do not like to spend time on the phone and some do not like to email. Phoning is almost always more personal and quicker, as either the connection is made instantly or it is not. With often more than 100 emails coming in every day for me and I am sure many more for the bigger vendors, it is possible for emails to take longer to be seen.

If you tell your boyfriend what to expect when he emails or calls it will be less frustrating for him. If he expects a possible delay of 24-48 hours and is answered more promptly it will be a better experience for him than if he just sends and email and has no expectations.

If he emails, the more information he includes in his initial email, the better the initial response will be.

Dear Sir,

I am looking for a nice 2ct diamond, can you help me?

That will not get anywhere near the quality of response as,

"Dear Sir,

I am looking for a round 2 ct - 2.35ct Hearts and Arrows quality cut diamond from F-G in color, VS1-SI1 in clarity. I will accept either a GIA or AGS documented diamond and would prefer that the AGS cut grade be at least AGS 1 and hopefully you have a nice stone that would qualify as AGS 0 cut grade. I will be happy with a GIA Excellent cut grade diamond if you feel it is in the AGS Ideal parameters".

Obviously you will use your parameters, but such an email will give your vendor all the information he needs to prepare a thoughtful and meaningful response to your fiance'' rather than requiring 2 or 3 emails just to determine what it is that you want done. I have not dealt with Mark, but know both Lesley and Jon. I am confident that you will receive excellent service from either of them, and from what others say, from Mark also.

Wink

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Wink:

Wow, that''s really helpful. Funny because I looked up your company just today to get some more online vendors as an option for him. I appreciate your response, and will suggest you as well. If you hear an Australian accent at the other end of the line, that is my boyfriend.
2.gif

I will use your email as a guideline of what I would like. My problem is that I would like something squarish, but it seems that the parameters of a quality stone are not as concretely defined. I haven''t been able to find too many guidelines on good specs for a cushion, for instance.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone''s input. If anything, my return visit to Robbins Brothers today reinforced my feelings that B&M stores are often frustrating (and insulting!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results