shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to clean my new ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hiya, Peeps:

I have a new three-stone emerald cut ring, and I''m wondering how I can best keep "her" nice and clean. I do plan to take the ring in for professional cleaning every 3-6 months, but I know the stones will get dirty in between those cleanings.

thanks in advance for your kind help, Mary

reena

Ideal_Rock
there have been a lot of recommendations here lately for the salton jewelry spa (search "salton" here for more info). i think i''m getting it for xmas!
9.gif

if you want something simpler, i''ve found that soaking the ring for a few minutes in a cup with dish soap, ammonia and a little hot water works wonders. add a little scrub with a baby toothbrush and a cold water rinse at the end, and you''re as good as new!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for those with hard water, to avoid build-up and water spots, use pressurized air to dry the ring. You can use the canned air that''s also used to clean PC keyboards.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
Love my Salton Jewelry Spa!!!!
30.gif
Gets my rings sparkly clean everytime, reaches dirt I could never get to with just a soft toothbrush!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Until I receive my Salton........which was on my xmas list... I have used a concoction recommended by Richard Sherwood at Sarasota Gem Labs. 1 part Mr. Clean w/o amonia to 3 parts water. I soak the ring in the solution for 30 minutes, then I scrub it with a soft toothbrush and then rinse it in cold water. It works great! very sparkly!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I too wanted to get the Salton.

No dice. Can''t get it. All sold out.
emotion-39.gif

So I''m just using store bought jewelery cleaner and a soft toothbrush for now. Works pretty darn well and I''ve got complicated pave and filligree..

Laney, if that is your ring in the picture, it''s SOOOOO pretty!!!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2004 12:42:26 PM
Author: laney
I too wanted to get the Salton.

No dice. Can''t get it. All sold out.
emotion-39.gif

So I''m just using store bought jewelery cleaner and a soft toothbrush for now. Works pretty darn well and I''ve got complicated pave and filligree..
Laney,
This website is where I purchased mine from. I see it still listed and I was able to add it to my cart, but stopped there.....soooo maybe they still have some? Here is the link http://store.yahoo.com/dmart2/sajwjespa.html

I hope you can find it, you would love it
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2004 9:18:23 AM
Author: Chrono
And for those with hard water, to avoid build-up and water spots, use pressurized air to dry the ring. You can use the canned air that''s also used to clean PC keyboards.
chrono
thanks for the tip .we have hard water in our area . what about when i mix the tap water with ammonia and use it as cleaning solution will it leave water spots on diamonds ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DFire aka Vtigger,
I don''t know about using hard water from the tap with the ammonia but if you are really concerned, use distilled water. I know for sure that distilled water will not leave behind that hazy film build up.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Will the build up ever come off? OH MY GOD, what if there''s build up on my ring?
GET IT OFF! ARGH!
HOW HOW DO I GET IT OFF?
Sorry. I''m a bit of a clean freak about my ring. I clean it every day, pretty much. I hope I don''t hurt it by doing this. I use a jar of red stuff that says "diamond cleaner" and leave it in there for a few minutes, then i rinse in under the sink and blow dry it.
Every morning.

Fiance thinks I''m nuts.
I guess I kind of am.
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
i clean my ring every day too. im a nut about it. FI also thinks i'm whacked (but he knew that long ago, like when he first heard me singing made up songs to my dogs in the morning while i'm getting ready for work).

this is my question on the distilled water/blowdryer/pressurized air thing. sure, i could do that in the AM after soaking my ring in the ammonia or whatever, and i'm sure it would look great. for about 25 minutes, until i get to work and have to go to the ladies'. don't you guys wash your hands? or do you wash them in distilled water and tote pressurized air around in your bag?
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easy answer, Reena. I remove my ring (s) when I go to the restroom.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2004 10:35:55 AM
Author: Chrono
Easy answer, Reena. I remove my ring (s) when I go to the restroom.
GASP! omg i could never do that, i would be too terrified to lose them or forget them. is that what you all do?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I wouldn't want to lose it down the sink as I'm washing my hands either, so it's better for me to take it off.

But really, I'm sure it's fine to wash your hands with your ring on. I doubt it'll leave THAT much of a build up so quickly. You ladies really crack me up.
21.gif
2.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah, i guess it just depends on your situation. i work in a big law firm, so i''d feel uncomfortable leaving the rings on my desk or something while i went to the ladies'', and fortunately there is no open drain for the rings to fall down in our sink.

actually i never worry about washing my hands with my ring on--it''s just that when i saw people here talking about using distilled water and blowdryers, etc, i didn''t quite get how that would work when i wash my hands about 8 times a day. lol, i guess i could always stop washing them . . .
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am not prone to losing things, but i would never take my ring off somewhere other than home. just in case! i wouldn''t get over losing my ring for a long time. also, i would never leave a bathroom without washing my hands (then using the paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door) so, my ring may loose just a bit of sparkle, but at least i know i have my ring and i don''t have somebody else''s germs. it''s all good.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sorry to be such a nerd, but the research shows that rings harbour just as much bacteria as do finger nails with polish, so I figure that if I am in the BR doing BR kinds of things--all of my hands and adornments need to be thoroughly washed. I, for one, was never comfortable taking my rings off and leaving them on the sinkside--too many extra variables (forgetfullness, accidents, etc) for my small brain to handle.
1.gif

cheers-Sharon

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
call me a nerd...but I always go to the bathroom with my purse (yes. even if I am at work) I have a ring box in my purse, so...when I go to wash my hands, I put the ring in the ring box, put it securely in my purse, wash my hands, then I take the ring box, take my ring out and put it back on. Sure it is time consuming, but my ring doesn''t get dirty while cleaning it with soap and my ring (s) is safe...

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t take the ring off EVER unless i''m at home cleanining it, or putting on lotion. I put hand lotion on at work, and actually put it on AROUND the ring - and if it does get on the ring, I feel like the ring is RUINED for the rest of the day.

LOONEY LOONEY LOONEY

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FTLOD,
That''s what I do as well. Pocket or bag, whichever is handy (I''m a non-purse person). I do not feel safe leaving it at the sink/counter as I wash my hands. I also apply lotion with my ring off.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I use Windex and a soft tooth brush. If I think the rings don't look quite as sparkly as they should, I soak them in it overnight. Works great for me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2004 12
6.gif
1:42 PM
Author: solange
I use Windex and a soft tooth brush. If I think the rings don''t look quite as sparkly as they should, I soak them in it overnight. Works great for me.
solange,
somebody said that if you soak your diamond long enough in windex, it will turn into a blue diamond.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2004 10:51
6.gif
6 AM
Author: reena
yeah, i guess it just depends on your situation. i work in a big law firm, so i'd feel uncomfortable leaving the rings on my desk or something while i went to the ladies', and fortunately there is no open drain for the rings to fall down in our sink.

actually i never worry about washing my hands with my ring on--it's just that when i saw people here talking about using distilled water and blowdryers, etc, i didn't quite get how that would work when i wash my hands about 8 times a day. lol, i guess i could always stop washing them . . .
31.gif
reena,
put on some disposable gloves before you go to the ladies room, haven't you ladies heard of disposable gloves? why do you need to wash your hands?
9.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2004 8:46:58 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 12/16/2004 12
6.gif
1:42 PM
Author: solange
I use Windex and a soft tooth brush. If I think the rings don''t look quite as sparkly as they should, I soak them in it overnight. Works great for me.
solange,
somebody said that if you soak your diamond long enough in windex, it will turn into a blue diamond.
They haven''t turned blue yet and I''ve been doing this for years. However, if they do turn blue, will they be worth more? Maybe I should not be giving away such valuable "secrets."

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2004 10:31:51 AM
Author: reena
like when he first heard me singing made up songs to my dogs in the morning while i''m getting ready for work).
I thought I was the only one who did that.
37.gif

PS I also sing songs about the dogs to myself in the car and also "talk" to them as I''m driving home. "Mommy''s coming little dolly man"
26.gif
19.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I almost always wear something with pockets, so I slip my rings in my left pocket if I am washing my hands or putting on lotion, or sometwhere where I feel as if they will take a beating (unloading the dishwasher, etc). I never put anything else in my left pocket. (Being right handed I pull things in and out of my right pocket all the time, and don''t want to take the risk of having a ring fall out. I am very conscience of wearing my rings or not, so I never forget to put them back on. I notice if they are not on my hand after a minute or two. This seems to work for me. The only close call I have had was when I didn''t follow this, and dropped them6 weeks after getting them.
emsmileo.gif

Thanks so much for the helpful advice, Ladies and Gents. I bought some good ol'' fashioned jewelry cleaner for now, and will buy the awesome machine that many of you mentioned soon.

As for singing to my dog, who is a most wonderful three-pawed Golden Retriever (born that way), I even make up a voice for him, and pretend he''s singing/talking back to me. The only reason I''m admitting this is that non of you know who I am or where I live. Embarrassing, but true. He-he.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
You are Mary, and you live in San Francisco
emteeth.gif

OH NOOOO! He-he. And how many three-pawed Goldens live here.

I''m actually in the ''burbs just outside of SF (which is where I was born and raised).

I have a feeling I''m not the only person who gives their doggy a "voice." Besides, my boy has lots to say!
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results