shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Value?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jefho1

Rough_Rock
I am looking at 2 pear shaped stones for the engagement ring I bought and would like some input as to which would be the best VALUE. The first one is 0.95 carats, color G, clarity VS1, depth 57.8%, table 58%, measurements 8.31x5.84x3.31 girdle th-thk, cutlet Med, polish Good, symmetry good, flourescence none

second one is 1 carat, color h, clarity VS2, depth 61%, table 58%, measurements 8.91x5.50x3.37,girdle M-VTHK, cutlet none, polish good, symmetry good, flouesence none.

Both have EGL certs, price for the first one is $2194, price for the second is $2625. My 2 questions are which seems like the best value for the money, and the 2nd question is which one is likely to have more fire. I know you cant know until you look but is there a way to make an educated guess? The difference in Carat weight and the $500 are not the major issues. By value, I mean better in terms of price paid vs. appraisal value.

Also, both diamonds are on BuyDiamondDirect.com, has anyone had any direct dealings with them? How was the experience? I have looked thru this forum and others and haven''t found anything about them good or bad. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jefho
3.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the 0.95 ct G VS1 is the better deal, but note that the l to w ratio is around 1.42 (I did the calculation but I'm posting this from memory, so I might be off a hair) which makes this a more chunky pear than the desirable 1.5 to 1.75 l to w ratio. The second stone has a l to w ratio of 1.62, which is more eye pleasing, but you're paying $500 for 5 more points, and lesser color and clarity grades (H VS2). You're paying more here because the stone has reached 1 ct, and probably (minorly) because of the desirable shape (l to w).

As for fire, my friend, you're going to have to see the stones. I don't know how you can predict that by the numbers for a pear shaped stone. The parameters you gave for the stones indicate a very good cut for both stones, but nothing compares to visual inspection. My stone is pretty deep, but she sparkles like a sonofagun.

Edit: In terms of appraisal value...it's likely going to be way overinflated anyway...the appraisal value for my pear is something like 1.8 times what I paid for it. It likely won't differ tremendously between the 2 if they're willing to sell them at a $500 difference.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose the second stone. The first one is a little on the shallow side. I think the length to width ratio on the second one would be more pleasing to look at too. As far as which one is the better VALUE, probably the first one although both are well priced.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pear owners unite
12.gif

I too prefer the second stone. The first one is also a bit shallow in depth.

And yes, you pay more for that magic 1ct in weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results