shape
carat
color
clarity

Best value on princess cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dckloos

Rough_Rock
Since much of the discussion I have been reading leaves some of the deceisions about purchase being subjective to the consumer. I was wondering what the opinion of some of the experts would be.

I am down to the deceision of the center stone purchase and have narrowed down my selection. I was wondering which items I should be more willing to comprimise on, since my GF has pretty much picked out a setting she likes from the local jeweler. It is a platinum band, with two emerald cut .25ct each D/VS1 set in the band.

I have seen some discussion about it being better to go down to a smaller stone, in exchange for a more brilliant diamond / ideal cut. Anyway here is my general dillema. I am in my price range but am having to trade off on either a .85 ct stone with a EGL cert. and average cut, vs a .70 ct GIA graded with ideal cut. Clarity and color on both stones is the same. I am wondering which represents the better value.

Should I be more willing to go down to a small center stone, with I GIA cert and better cut, or will I get the same value from a EGL diamond with around a .15 increase in carat size with just an average cut.

I am not so much concerned with apprasial value, or trade in. I am looking for the WOW factor when the diamond is set and viewed. Since I don''t have the eye for diamonds, I would much rather prefer a jewelers professional opinion then mine. I find after looking at diamonds for 20 minutes the differences start getting harder to pick out.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think one will inherently be a better "value". It is a pure luxury item and the only question is which one (or which type or which cut or which color or which clarity or which shapre or which size) brings the most enjoyment. With a little careful shopping on the ''net you will get a feel for what a reasonable price will be.

Have fun with it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results