shape
carat
color
clarity

Best use of money?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Niel! I hadn't seen the one you posted, but I just pinned it to my board. It's lovely!

I'm not quite sure if I want all sapphires in the halo...I'm kind of of two minds on that right now. I do think sapphire halos are beautiful, and initially was leaning towards that route. On the other hand, I worry that I would miss the bling/sparkle factor of a diamond halo, which is why I was considering a diamond halo with sapphires in it somewhere. I do really love the interest and uniqueness of artdecolover's scalloped halo though... I don't know. What are other's thought on an all sapphire halo or not?

I fear figuring out a setting (and one that I can afford!) is going to be even harder than selecting the diamond was!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1451792621|3969903 said:
Niel|1451787539|3969879 said:
Here's one I saw you hadn't pinned but I feel like is your aesthetic

Goodness, that is my aesthetic, too! :love: I saw that on her Pinterest page! Custom cut sapphires will really make this an expensive setting though. I saved it. Now you can find me an antique marquise, Niel.

If I were going with a design like this, I'd use Caysie. She is an artist and is sooo good with design.

When I find a good one you'll be the first person I tell ;-)

I think dk had to custom cut artdecolover71s and they seemed more than reasonable. But they wherent as shaped as the one I posted, admittedly.

Working with cvb and dk is night and day. Dk is soooo fast. Cvb is anything but. In the long run does that matter? SK you have to micromanage every detail of the cad process and come in with a clear vision. With cvb you're paying for her artwork. Ever time I've worked with her I say the bare bones idea of what in after and she crafts it into something beautiful. You can't do that with dk. You have to be so set on an idea you can see it in your minds eye. Of course the third thing is price where dk is going to be noticeably cheaper. In my opinion you're paying cvb for her sharp eye and the fact she is a small business. I've used both vendors and I suggest both depending on the situation

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I would LOVE to work with CVB. I love her designs, as evidenced by my Pintrest. I visited her Esty as well though, and based off of her Etsy, I'm afraid she is not within my budget. I actually did consider reaching out to her about the possibility, but I ultimately decided it would be more insulting than anything since I really am working on a budget.

I've also looked into some other Easy sellers that I've seen PSers have worked with...specifically, I looked at Yvonne Raley, Heart of Water Jewels, and JuliaB. I think they all have beautiful work, but of those, JuliaB was the only one I felt might encompass the aesthetic I'm going for (at least based off of their Etsy stores). I am, of course, also open to anyone else that PSers might recommend. Or, if I can really work to get a specific design solidified, I'd be happy to reach out to DK. I'm clearly not at that point though. :???:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1451796801|3969922 said:
I would LOVE to work with CVB. I love her designs, as evidenced by my Pintrest. I visited her Esty as well though, and based off of her Etsy, I'm afraid she is not within my budget. I actually did consider reaching out to her about the possibility, but I ultimately decided it would be more insulting than anything since I really am working on a budget.

I've also looked into some other Easy sellers that I've seen PSers have worked with...specifically, I looked at Yvonne Raley, Heart of Water Jewels, and JuliaB. I think they all have beautiful work, but of those, JuliaB was the only one I felt might encompass the aesthetic I'm going for (at least based off of their Etsy stores). I am, of course, also open to anyone else that PSers might recommend. Or, if I can really work to get a specific design solidified, I'd be happy to reach out to DK. I'm clearly not at that point though. :???:

I think before deciding who to work with you need to get a firm graphs on what you're looking for. Sapphires? No sapphires?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with everything Niel said...someone actually asked me to describe the experience of cvb next to DK and it was just as Niel described :) but if you have a tight budget, I understand that too. If CVB's prices aren't in your budget, then I would decide on a design and prepare to collaborate with DK and PS'ers. I agree with Diamondseeker, when you are on a tight budget but it is a complex design, DK is a great choice! I know many people have not even ended up posting their final projects when they have gone wrong with other vendors who were budget friendly and definitely don't want you in that boat.

If my outer halo could not be brought down to 20 mm, I was going to do the pin that Niel posted. But it definitely needs to be cut and set by a top notch jeweler who has experience with these types of projects. Looking forward to watching your project come to life!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK did a fabulous job on your ring, artdecolover! I think if she can find an antique ring design she wants to duplicate, using DK will be an easier process. Definitely best for her budget range. I love this design for a marquise. Probably have others saved but will have more time later and will try to come back.

_35867.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Love that- reminds me of the leaves in my cvb. Gorgeous. Agree with you on all! Thanks also for the compliment, I agree- DK did a wonderful job!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
So, I am pretty much the world's worst artist, but in an effort to try and figure out what I'd like in terms of design, I attempted to sketch out some ideas:
img_2039_1.jpg

The black is suppose to be metal, the grey is supposed to be diamonds and the blue sapphire.

And these are the rings I used as inspiration for my poorly drawn sketches:

11_17.jpg
12_11.jpg
13_6.jpg

And, artdecolover's scalloped halo served as inspiration for my last sketch.

Hopefully, you can kind of tell what elements I'm drawing from. The first drawing on the left, on the bottom row, is meant to be small marquise/"eye" shapes making up the diamond. I'm sure my proportions are off, which may lend to some of the designs not working as well with the diamond (which has dimensions of 9.51mm by 4.29mm). It was actually kind of helpful to try to sketch these out. I think I might have an more of an idea of what I'd like, but I'd also love to hear your thoughts/input.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd work with the last two. I think you need an airline with this size center stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imagine this on a much smaller scale but with some sapphire accents. Round sapphire accents probably will not involve custom cutting, so really focus on that as you tweak your designs.

marquiseaqua.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh very exciting! Looking forward to seeing your vendor selection and cads!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiny but bare with me.

_35877.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love this halo. I think the band is a bit much but I the geometry halo is cool. No sapphires though

34f1290084ed41d551baa5d2508f3858.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Good look and easy to replicate in a similar style if the beverley k version is too high

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1451864519|3970126 said:
Tiny but bare with me.

I love this one Niel!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1451864836|3970127 said:
I also love this halo. I think the band is a bit much but I the geometry halo is cool. No sapphires though

Actually thinking, I think it could be cool if at North,south, east, west the squares where larger square sapphires and then you had smaller diamond squares in between

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I really love this halo, and I love the idea of having larger square halos at north, south, east, west!!!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good!!! Send it off and get a quote!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1451865933|3970135 said:
Oh good!!! Send it off and get a quote!

How would the shank be? How would the gallery look? I'd get that idea before getting a quite

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd do this one, and ask them to include a couple sapphires. Most cost effective and stress free way forward.

It would be customized for you. But based off a Beverly Standard design and warranted by Beverly K.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1451868297|3970154 said:

I'd do this one, and ask them to include a couple sapphires. Most cost effective and stress free way forward.

It would be customized for you. But based off a Beverly Standard design and warranted by Beverly K.

I know Beverley k is very open to customize things, think they could do it with a different band? Or, are willing to?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
It occurred to me that I could use the dimensions of the diamond to try to better draw out design ideas. So silly, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. So I went ahead and sketched out some designs to try and get a better idea size/proportions and of how they may look with my actual stone:
fullsizerender-2_7.jpg

The top one is my attempt at the Beverly K halo with larger squares with sapphires at north, south, east, and west. Ignore the middle - that was just me playing around. The bottom one is my attempt at the Beverly K halo but with something different for the sapphires (in which I'm emulating the three sapphires at north, south, east, and west from that one inspiration ring a few posts ago). I like both in my badly drawn sketches, and I do like the way the three sapphires look at N,S,E,W on the inspiration ring. I'm not sure if that would translate well in real life though when combined with the Beverly K halo. Any thoughts one way or the other?

As for the shank, I usually am drawn to rings with diamonds in the shank, but considering I'm working on a budget, I suspect that may put me over budget. That being said, I would like something more than just a plain shank. Maybe something like this?

il_570xn_165.jpg

I am totally open to suggestions!

And as for the gallery, I have no clue. To be honest, I never even considered that as a design element to think about, and I'm really not sure where to begin!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
You might want to make an offer on one of these large marquise:
5mm x 9.6 F/G VS1
If you make an offer on this solitaire ring you can wear the ring while you are saving for the setting you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181020011279?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3 stone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181183326745?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My very fav….a RARE old cut .80c G/H SI1 marquise set E/W in antique platinum setting (I like the chubby old cuts)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141774083914?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

in budget:
E SI1
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M55-HW4ATE

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M50-NQUKDU

ASET

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M60-7UBG35

chunky facets
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M60-77RRSC

Love the faceting and ASETs on these 2….here are samples of amazing ASETS on a marquise
These are over budget for your stone but these ASETs are amazing!

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M71-7Y8XUU

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M71-MHN3Z6

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M80-LLSR29

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M73-TC9BU

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/M71-CHLA74

Nice setting:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/platinum-sheldon-speyer-engagement-ring-containing-blue-sapphires-and-28cttw-diamonds-marquis-shaped-center-diamond-is-1-00ct-h-si2-finger-size-6-5.html

I’m sure that MyDiamond Zone will have a nice setting with sapphires at a reasonable price.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
girlyglam|1451873777|3970192 said:
It occurred to me that I could use the dimensions of the diamond to try to better draw out design ideas. So silly, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. So I went ahead and sketched out some designs to try and get a better idea size/proportions and of how they may look with my actual stone:
fullsizerender-2_7.jpg

The top one is my attempt at the Beverly K halo with larger squares with sapphires at north, south, east, and west. Ignore the middle - that was just me playing around. The bottom one is my attempt at the Beverly K halo but with something different for the sapphires (in which I'm emulating the three sapphires at north, south, east, and west from that one inspiration ring a few posts ago). I like both in my badly drawn sketches, and I do like the way the three sapphires look at N,S,E,W on the inspiration ring. I'm not sure if that would translate well in real life though when combined with the Beverly K halo. Any thoughts one way or the other?

As for the shank, I usually am drawn to rings with diamonds in the shank, but considering I'm working on a budget, I suspect that may put me over budget. That being said, I would like something more than just a plain shank. Maybe something like this?

il_570xn_165.jpg

I am totally open to suggestions!

And as for the gallery, I have no clue. To be honest, I never even considered that as a design element to think about, and I'm really not sure where to begin!

I would ask Beverly K to suggest nice galleries. Work with a good vendor for the project. I think GOG may carry Beverly K (Maybe???).

I think you can get something really nice working with them.

I like your mock ups. I would do North South and then on the shank myself.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitel contact a beverley k vendor and see what they think. Beverley k makes beautiful settings, you can start by looking at their standard pricing on some of their non custom settings online just to get an idea. Last time I worked with GOG they still carried.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Woo hoo! Just got a confirmation email from JA - my diamond should be on its way to me soon!!! :dance:

Now to buckle down with this setting! I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with how Beverley K works...I should contact GOG or another Beverley K vendor for a custom Beverley K setting rather than contacting Beverly K directly? I've taken a look at some of the prices on Beverly K settings, but they seem to vary quite a bit so I'm afraid I can't quite tell if it'll be in my price range or not. Does anyone know if there is a point at which asking for too many changes would be ill advised, and it would be better to have someone else create the setting? For example, I imagine that asking for sapphires at N,S,E,W would be simple enough, but if I wanted to change the shank and use the "floral"/pear design (for lack of a better way of describing it) at N,S,E,W for the sapphires, I wonder if that would be too many changes to ask for.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you have to go through a vendor. Beverley k doesn't deal directly with the public. GOG will be able to tell you if you are asking for too many changes to be worth it because they have a lot of experience with beverley k :)

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Got it, thank you!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
girlyglam|1451943942|3970623 said:
but if I wanted to change the shank and use the "floral"/pear design (for lack of a better way of describing it) at N,S,E,W for the sapphires, I wonder if that would be too many changes to ask for.

No. It wouldn't be. Other's have done similar customizations. Especially through GOG. The rings always come out lovely.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Just got confirmation that the diamond has arrived!!! :dance: I can't wait to see it when I get home!!!

I reached out to GOG about the Beverley K setting, but I was told that the amount of changes I want is really more than just a modification. They are going to get a quote for me from a designer they do a lot of their custom work with. I also reached out to MDZ for a quote since I've worked with them before and had a good experience. At this point, I'm really not sure exactly what I want to do for the shank or gallery, and I'm not quite sure if I want to do larger square sapphires or sapphires in that "petal" design at north, south, east, west. I think I'd be happy with either, but would love artistic input. Given that uncertainty, do you think it's worth reaching out to DK for a quote as well? I'm hesitant since it seems that working with him requires you to know exactly what you want, but I do think his work is beautiful. I've also considered reaching out to Julia B on etsy... Is there anyone else I should be considering?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results