shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to find tin cup/ pearl station necklace?

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I have been on a pearl kick lately,but I haven’t jumped the gun on anything yet.I would love to own a pearl station necklace with silver/blue akoya pearls in white gold in about 16-18 inches in length. I came across this from PP. I’m looking for something a bit more casual. IE, something I could wear while grocery shopping or while wearing sneakers, and I thought a station necklace fits the bill. Baroques are preferred, as they seem to be a bit more casual.

Are there any other places I should check out? If I were to purchase from PP I would definitely wait for at least their 20% off sale. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make your own by buying some inexpensive baroque pearls from the likes of Wen Pearls on Etsy, and findings in silver or gold from the likes of Bella Findings?

DK :))

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yes, good idea @dk168! You can also try CMW Pearl (there are lots of pearl vendors on there) on Etsy or Takahashi on Instagram for a build your own(they have the nicest pearls! check out the pearl threads- they have all price ranges/quality) Any of these places will string/set them for you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is what i plan to do ...what DK suggests,
........when i get organized
if it turns out im not neat enough to do it myself ill take it to town and find someone to assemble it, but i like the idea of choosing my own pearls

but as far as casual pearls go
i think more traditional 'formal' looking strands work casually too
its just a matter of the wearer wearing (aka rocking ) them !
and that comes with practice - wearing pearls lots and lots

i mean we have a friend on here who has designated pajama pearls

@ean have you checked out the pearl version of what im wearing today ?
you will see tonns of inspiration
check out all the fun ways @MakingTheGrade wears her pearls

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ocean's Cove had some nice blue/silver akoya tin cups a few months ago but they seem to have all sold when I checked earlier. She's very helpful if you DM her on Insta and there's a section on the site specifically for tin cups.

I'd also second having a go at making your own, and MakingTheGrade is the master! That's firmly a case of do as i say not as i do, however: the components for me to make one have been sitting as occasional play things for over a year now while i procrastinate and practice making wraps more neatly!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No idea if it's a genuine branded piece but it's super pretty and seems like a good price regardless!?
1642924999259.png

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
What types of findings would one need to make one's own tin cup bracelet? I'm thinking of using my fab five from Cees for a non-traditional pearl station bracelet. They are too pretty to use as earrings, as I originally intended, because I want to see them while I wear them.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
oh @Cinders please please start a thread so we can watch as you go along

Hahaha, I think you may overestimate my abilities, @Daisys and Diamonds ! :D I will think about it, though. As soon as I can get a handle on what I want & where I can get the supplies I may start a thread. However, please know I have no photography skills so it will never do justice to the actual beauty of these little gorgeous orbs .

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha, I think you may overestimate my abilities, @Daisys and Diamonds ! :D I will think about it, though. As soon as I can get a handle on what I want & where I can get the supplies I may start a thread. However, please know I have no photography skills so it will never do justice to the actual beauty of these little gorgeous orbs .

my photography is absymal so no worries
i want to make a tin cup necklace too
but im not sure i can be neat enough for my own exacting and unachievable standards :lol-2:
admidably im going to just buy some cheaper pearls from Wen
but i totally get why you want to be able to see your pearls

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What types of findings would one need to make one's own tin cup bracelet? I'm thinking of using my fab five from Cees for a non-traditional pearl station bracelet. They are too pretty to use as earrings, as I originally intended, because I want to see them while I wear them.

Without even looking I'm sure there will be squillions of how-to videos on YouTube.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a lot of fun restringing and rewiring my pearls for different looks.

Making a tin cup is pretty doable. I got gold plated chain and gold plated wire and clasps from Etsy sellers and a jewelry plier kit from Amazon. Have fun!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I have a lot of fun restringing and rewiring my pearls for different looks.

Making a tin cup is pretty doable. I got gold plated chain and gold plated wire and clasps from Etsy sellers and a jewelry plier kit from Amazon. Have fun!

6DAB53EA-3A3F-4E96-B59E-C9A2C5CC2664.jpeg

Thank you, @MakingTheGrade your pearls are gorgeous! I realized my pearls are only half-drilled so I'm going to have to change my plans because I don't really want to have to get them fully drilled. I've found white gold pegs that I plan to order & then I'll have to see what I can do with them. Your necklaces are so beautiful, though, they are making me question my plans & have instilled a desire to buy pearls by the bucketful!!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You will find videos on wire wrapping on You Tube. You will need one pair of small round nose pliers and a Flat smooth pair ... no texture/ridges or you will mark up the wire. You can use Gold filled wire to save money...no use trying real gold till you get the hang of it. Gold filled is hardy and holds it's colour very well as the gold is bonded to the base metal and not just plated. Use anything from .05 to .07 depending on the size of the pearls you are wrapping. The more pearls you wrap the more wire you eat up ... for a beginner I'd say use 3" per pearl ( if large pearls then use 4')? its easier to wrap if you have a decent tail of wire to hold on to. Or use Sterling ... depends on what you want.

you can wrap from pearl to pearl .. or you can wrap to short lengths of chain. Space out your pearls on the chain to determine the distance you prefer. Measure and cut carefully to get the lengths exactly the same.

Two jump rings to attach to the clasp if it doesn't come with rings already.

I find Rolo to be easy to use as the links, even small ones, have a decent size open space. Some styles of chain links are very hard to wrap as they are too closed and the wire doesn't thread through.

It takes practice. But once you do it a few times you'll be a pro !

Good luck !

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest using craft wire (base metal) to get some wire-wrapping practice before switching to silver or gold filled.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @MakingTheGrade your pearls are gorgeous! I realized my pearls are only half-drilled so I'm going to have to change my plans because I don't really want to have to get them fully drilled. I've found white gold pegs that I plan to order & then I'll have to see what I can do with them. Your necklaces are so beautiful, though, they are making me question my plans & have instilled a desire to buy pearls by the bucketful!!

Im excited to see what you end up doing now
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results