shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to buy settings...

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
I have so many stones, I think it''s time to start planning out some rings or earrings or a pendant....the possibilities are endless! That and I have new stones coming :) from Tan....(pics to be posted of all my latest aquisitions soon - except for my ametrine that ended up being mainly amethyst with a hint of citrine and only at the right angle and at the right lighting in the corners....but it''s 2 carats and the cut is unique, so maybe it will show up afterall...anywho) Where can I find settings with and without melee, split shank, solid solitare type...for less than say....50 to 100 bucks? Not much of a budget I know...

Also what are the differences between semi-mounts and say castings?

Thanks in advance....
RP

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your budget, Tripps is the least expensive for the plain metal settings as long as you aren’t expected a heavyweight setting. For the price, it seems decent enough. For something with melees, even $100 might be too little for an LOGR although they appear to be the best priced around with decent workmanship. All semi-mounts are most likely to be cast. Cast is just the method of making the ring.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chrono, Tripps is the cheapest. Their settings are the same standard as you would see at a jewelry store for say, a plain solitaire, or a pendant setting, especially the 14 K. They do have a lot of variety, and they even have accented settings, with places for side stones. If you need a ring sized, just call them to place the order and it's only an extra $10, but it adds about 3 days. Everything is well finished and polished.

A tip to navigate their (really unattractive) site, when you get all the way through the pages to looking at an actual setting, there's a pull down menu on the left, and you can find all options available for any given stone size. Sometimes that's easier. I've found their paper catalog is very helpful, you'll see stuff that you might miss on the site.

If you have the urge to try setting stuff yourself (I don't recommend it for any stone over $75) they have a kit and a you tube video. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxIZ0tprsL4

I've set my cheap stones and it's really pretty easy.

cagenicolus

Rough_Rock
thanks to share your knowledge with us because i also learn much here.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so who is tripps and what is their site?

There is a ring I''d like to emulate for my mom. I have the original and she just LOVES
30.gif
it and I''d like to create something similar for her for her birthday (september) using a trilliant pink tourmaline. I thought I had a photo but I don''t. SO I will do my best to describe it. It''s yellow gold with a split shank that comes together at the head, then the head is an oval with diamond melee around the top and bottom of the oval portion. There is a little space between the oval head and the oval tourmaline where the prongs are - but there is definately space around the stone and the head. If this doesn''t make sense i can see if i can take a photo but here is what I found via google quick search that is similar. The differences are the shank as it goes all the way to the back of the ring is solid not split, and the diamonds are only on the top and bottom of the oval, not all the way around - and of course it''s not a diamond in the center but a pink tourmaline.

http://www.natalia-diamonds.com/GenImage.ashx?Type=ER&Path=ER-082%5CPic-01.jpg

Obviously it would need reworking slightly with a trilliant...but that is the type of setting i''m looking for.

THanks!
Rebecca

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, well you'll never find that on Tripps, but they might have some basic stuff for your smaller stones, anyway.

Here's a link:

http://www.tripps.com/

Also a lot of PSer's like the settings from Lord of Gem Rings on ebay. Just search LOGR on this forum and you'll see their threads.

pocadot

Rough_Rock
rparker1998 - have you considered contacting Nataly and Alex at nataliadiamonds? Since they manufacture settings, they can do custom work for reasonable prices, and the quality is meticulous. They definitely offer discounts for direct cash transactions if you are in the NY area and can visit them directly. They also offer lifetime guarantee replacement of the melee (up to 2 stones per year).

If you want something more affordable, I would agree with iLander about LOGR. They have settings similar to the one you posted.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 11:02:10 PM
Author: iLander
Oh, well you''ll never find that on Tripps, but they might have some basic stuff for your smaller stones, anyway.

Here''s a link:

http://www.tripps.com/

Also a lot of PSer''s like the settings from Lord of Gem Rings on ebay. Just search LOGR on this forum and you''ll see their threads.

That ring has WAY more diamonds in it than the one im trying to describe. I think it best if I just take a photo of the one i''m trying to describe. SO tomorrow I will post a photo.

Thanks for the link. I''ll check it out. I''ve also heard much about LOGR on ebay so i''ll check him out too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results