shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Place in NY/NYC to purchase Diamond With Lifetime Trade Up Policy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone recommend an excellent, reputable, honest, fair diamond store in NYC with a lifetime tradeup policy?
I often wonder if these places will still be in business 10-20 years from now.... what do we do? What''s the best advice?

20.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there-
I bought from Superbcert. They have been in business for several generations, apparently. Superbcert you can do a search here, for info. I bought a gorgeous Hearts and arrows AGS 000 from them

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I 3rd www.goodoldgold.com bought my asscher from them and some day hope to get a bigger one.
31.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
goodoldgold.com althought i''ve bought most everything from whiteflash.com are you in NY?? you might want to think of ordering out of state so you don''t have to pay the taxes.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely recommend Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. He is very nice, patient, and fair, and he has a lifetime trade up policy....www.enagementringsdirect.com

Arnel_Regina

Rough_Rock
GOG, hands down. Although I have heard great things about engagment rings direct...I think they provide great cushion cut stones....HOWEVER Jonathan is so wonderful to work with. He loves his work. and I loved working with him. good luck

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
I''d pick GOG, but their trade up policy is only if you buy a H&A Round or Princess (not included radiant or a non-H&A RB)
so there I don''t have much choice then. Because I might end up purchasing a radiant, but at GOG I''m STUCK with it for life!

Yes, I''m in NY, and so I wouldn''t have to pay taxes on my diamond if purchased out of state?? That''s great! Won''t the IRS see it on my Credit Card?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2006 8:13:04 AM
Author: jewelgal

Yes, I''m in NY, and so I wouldn''t have to pay taxes on my diamond if purchased out of state?? That''s great! Won''t the IRS see it on my Credit Card?

This has been discussed here in the past. And I believe you are supposed to show your purchase on your taxes and pay then. Most people don''t, probably because they don''t know they are supposed to. I had always assumed purchasing out of state meant no tax until I read that thread.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
It's State sales tax that you save, not income tax ... so it has nothing to do with the IRS. Generally, if you buy from a vendor who is in the State where you live, you must pay sales tax on the purchase.

ALSO, with the April 17th income tax filing deadline coming up, some jewelers in NYS are running a special where they offer to "pay the tax" on your purchase.

Finally, my vote for a reputable diamond dealer goes to Good Old Gold -- they're honesty, integrity, selection and service are second to none!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Wow awesome! I think I need to find the setting first, though....that''s what''s taking so long.......................
I love GOG, but their trade up policy is only for a few types of stones, H&A RB, Princess,- basically it does not cover
a regular RB or Radiant, one of the two I would 99% be purchasing, unless I get a h&a stone.... So I don''t want to be "stuck" with a diamond forever - I like to have options for the future......
19.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the thread I was talking about. worth reading..bottom line, most don't pay but are supposed to and eventually our greedy gov't will figure out a way to make us.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
I would e-mail or call Jonathan with your concerns.....you might be able to work something out with him....that''s his basic policy, but it might be a general policy, and not "set in stone." He is very flexible - especially since you have a good idea of what you might want to do...

Talk to him - it''s worth a try!

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm from reading that link it sounds like we should all buy are diamonds NOW... hahahaha!

The other thing you could do is have an out of state dealer send your stone into a local appraiser & see it first. I have done that twice so far with the second stone coming next week. That way you see the stone yourself before purchasing & if you like it you can save the tax.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2006 8:50:13 AM
Author: Diam100
Hmmm from reading that link it sounds like we should all buy are diamonds NOW... hahahaha!

hehe..i think I might need to add the to my list to tell hubby
3.gif

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that's a great idea. Would I still save on Tax if I buy it from the Appraiser at that point? Or does the appraiser ship it back to the company? I'm confused.........

so if I ask Whiteflash or someone to send the diamond i'm interested in to an appraiser in NYC (who?) then
I can see it without buying it? Because what I always Worried about was that I would have to ship the diamond back to the place and trust that the company won't lie and say that they have a "different" stone or something like that. How can you prove yourself that you actually Did send back the Original Stone????

Also, do you insure it for $10k or whatever it is worth @ the Post Office???
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Jewelgal,

Someone pointed me to this thread and it got me to thinking. You know what ... if you select a radiant that we would give a 2 thumbs up on ... I will back it with lifetime tradein and put it in writing. Just curious are you looking for square or rectangular radiant?

Hope to be of help.

Kind regards,

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Jewelgal-

If you want to work with Jon at GOG, dont be discouraged by that trade-up policy he has. When we were searching for my diamond, I contacted him, and he was super-nice, pretty quick to respond, and he said that his trade-up policy is not set in stone- meaning that if you buy a diamond from him he would most likely take it back as a trade-in at some point- not in all cases, but in many. Bottom line- he is very nice and open-minded, so I wouldnt cross him off the list unless you speak to him first. We would have bought from them, but in the end we chose Mark at engagementringsdirect for convienence sake...

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
I also recommend GOG. Jonathan was beyond great, and the whole team treated me like I was their best customer even though I was on a pretty tight budget. My experience was that they''re willing to work with you to make what you want happen.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You guys are too kind.
face16.gif

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Ok I''m just getting back to this thread.... Here''s how it works:

Let''s say you pick an out of state company for the stone. They ship it to an appraiser in Manhattan ie David Wolf or Richard Aretz. At this point you haven''t paid anything except you will have to pay the appraisal fee.. it varies in $$$. When the stone comes in you make an appointment to see it for yourself & hear the appraisers thoughts on the stone/writeup. At this point you have only laid out the appraisal fee.

If you do not want the stone - your out the appraisal fee & if any shipping is involved on the stone (check b/c some charge for shipping some don''t only if you buy do some waive shipping). Again, please check with the Company first to find out their policies.

If you purchase the stone - You pay the out of state company. It is now shipped by the appraiser to the out of state company if you want a custom setting done by the same company. When it is finished (ie ring is set in setting) it gets shipped back to the appraiser, if you wish, to make sure it''s the stone you purchased & than a full appraisal is done for your insurance company.

Anyway, that''s what I''m doing since with the $$$$$ I''m shelling out I want someone independently giving me a second opinion & than independently telling me it''s what I got back set in my ring. I''m your typical jaded New Yorker so I need an independent opinion not tied to the company selling me the stone & I want my eyes to be the final judge of what looks "pretty on my finger" (lol).

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thank you so much for explaining how the process works - that makes sense now....
My next question would be, when would I purchase insurance? Before I leave w/ the stone, right?

I met Mark at Eng. Rings Direct in August - he was great. I also went to David S. Diamonds, a fancy place on 5th Ave.
and their diamonds were absolutely gorgeous. First, I always check the Better Business Bureau before I visit any places
in NYC Diamond District. When I went to Firenze 2 months ago on a Saturday, they had NOTHING to see because their stuff was "in the vault" on the weekends.
20.gif

RHINO - I can''t thank you enough for your generous offer!!! I truly appreciate it!!! I think I will end up purchasing a radiant ..As soon as I get my setting I will come to GOG. I know your store has an impeccable reputation on this site and that means a lot to me.
35.gif
35.gif

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Once you pay for it in total there is a transfer of ownership so yep you own the stone & you insure. I wouldn''t leave the security of a store after I paid without insurance. That''s why I wear my jewelry everywhere without worry & happily pay my insurance premium every year.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I knew people liked GOG but wow....................................

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results