shape
carat
color
clarity

Best mulberry silk duvet?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to re-create a luxury hotel bed experience at home. DH loved the bedding at a recent luxury hotel stay and they had a lightweight duvet between two top sheets.
We have a down duvet now but it is causing allergy problems, is expensive to get cleaned and is way too hot for me. .

I am aiming to have a mulberry silk duvet between two crisp, white flat sheets that are up to the top of the bed and folded over and tucked in--hotel style. Maybe something colorful across the end of the bed, like a throw.
So I am struggling with which silk filled duvet, and do I need a duvet cover if I am placing it between two flat sheets? Is it possible to get a mulberry silk duvet that is machine washable or do I need to accept that it must be dry cleaned?
Any recommendations are appreciated--I have looked online and am getting overwhelmed. We are in a cold Midwest climate and I am fine with buying a winter and a summer weight duvet and changing them out seasonally.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't answer you on the duvet cover, but I do have mulberry silk pillowcases. I do wash them in the washer on gentle/ cold, when I dry in the dryer (because I'm lazy) I do a no heat dry. They're in excellent shape but again, just pillow cases. But you're not supposed to put them in the dryer.

Also the weight in which you buy will be important. mine are 22 momme and were 25 dollars each (ouch) I can't imagine what a duvet cover would cost

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Point of fact:

Silk worms eat only mulberry leaves. So all silk is in fact “mulberry silk,” and anyone who is trying to sell you something as “mulberry silk” is probably trying to convince you that their plain ole silk is somehow special and worthy of a premium price. More specifically, most of what is marketed as “mulberry silk” is silk charmeuse.

And I should add that I say that as someone who recently bought Blissy(tm)
Pillowcases and loves them. I was willing to pay for convenience and a good sales pitch, I guess!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Point of fact:

Silk worms eat only mulberry leaves. So all silk is in fact “mulberry silk,” and anyone who is trying to sell you something as “mulberry silk” is probably trying to convince you that their plain ole silk is somehow special and worthy of a premium price. More specifically, most of what is marketed as “mulberry silk” is silk charmeuse.

Pillowcases and loves them. I was willing to pay for convenience and a good sales pitch, I guess!

Lol--I also looked at the Bliss pillowcases!
So thanks for the info regarding mulberry leaves--that helps a lot!
What I am looking at are duvets that are silk-filled. Or at least I thought I was.
Some come with cotton duvet covers which would be easily washable.
I am looking because our down duvets are causing allergy problems, are too hot and heavy.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Point of fact:

Sorry to go off topic a bit

Good to know about the blissy
I see it advertised all over the internet
Its a satin pillowcase ?

Something Elizebth said in her OP
Top sheet very important
I hate the feel of no top sheet
I love the feel of the top sheet folded over
To me the top sheet is the most important component of all the bed clothes

....also as i hate changing the duvet cover ( my technique is terrible)
I think a duvet cover is always important - especially if you have a pet who sleeps on the bed or a husband who sleep with his arms by his side but on top of the covers

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad exclusively used a silk comforter in summer. It was easily washable Iirc and held up well. He liked a cool feeling against his skin and paired it with silk bed linen.
Mom is always cold, so on her side she did down & flannel in a similar colour way.
Made for a happy relationship of more than 50 years.

I'm not in the US, so no recommendation for a retailer. Costco seems a good source, though

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad exclusively used a silk comforter in summer. It was easily washable Iirc and held up well. He liked a cool feeling against his skin and paired it with silk bed linen.
Mom is always cold, so on her side she did down & flannel in a similar colour way.
Made for a happy relationship of more than 50 years.

I'm not in the US, so no recommendation for a retailer. Costco seems a good source, though

I can't get my head around how some Eros make the bed in two halves
How does that work ?

I suppose at least one isn't nicking the other's blankets.... i am the ultimate winch when it comes to hogging the covers

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a silk filled duvet. We bought a thin one and a thick one so you can have it as light, thick or both together. We have never used both together.
they are from China.
silk filled duvets are heavier than down doonas.
I would certainly buy a silk doona cover rather than just leaving it “naked”. We have ours dry cleaned every 2 years or so because it is in a doona cover which we can wash more frequently. Also we have a no pets on beds rule.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You people are making me tired :lol:

Its noon here
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get my head around how some Eros make the bed in two halves
How does that work ?

I suppose at least one isn't nicking the other's blankets.... i am the ultimate winch when it comes to hogging the covers

It's simple. Two duvets et voilà.

We generally don't do the sheet thing. Each duvet has a duvet cover. Duvet covers are like pillowcases, closed by buttons

Grew up with this and absolutely loathe the sheet system as well as anything that tucks in the duvet at the bottom of my bed. Screenshot_2020-12-30-11-35-50-564_com.android.chrome.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have 2 silk comforters from Costco. Smart Silk. One in Brooklyn and one at the beach. We love them.

I think this is the one we have. The one at the beach is 5 years old and the one in Brooklyn about three years old.
We wash it in the washing machine and dry it in our dryer. Every few months. No issue. We have a duvet cover on it that we wash at least once a week.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you missy---all the information I need. Just ordered one from Costco.
I love that it is machine washable as, for me, dry clean only bedding doesn't make sense.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you missy---all the information I need. Just ordered one from Costco.
I love that it is machine washable as, for me, dry clean only bedding doesn't make sense.

My pleasure. Definitely agree. Life is too short for dry cleaning. I like cleaning things perhaps more often than many and this comforter wears very well. But we do have a duvet cover on it. So I’m sure that helps. Hope you love it !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's simple. Two duvets et voilà.

We generally don't do the sheet thing. Each duvet has a duvet cover. Duvet covers are like pillowcases, closed by buttons

Grew up with this and absolutely loathe the sheet system as well as anything that tucks in the duvet at the bottom of my bed. Screenshot_2020-12-30-11-35-50-564_com.android.chrome.jpg

But
but
but
If you don't tuck in the bottom of the bed the monsters under the bed will grab your feet !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results