shape
carat
color
clarity

"Best" hotel in Beverly Hills? Dining?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

During our vacay in Cali this summer--we will be in "town" (LA
9.gif
) to see some baseball. I would like to be close to good shopping and eating and therefore would like to ask opinions for the most fabu hotel for an app. three night stay. We have a car as we are driving from our "base" in PS.

Suggestions, please? (hotels and restuarants....it''s been a while for me.....)

cheers--Sharon

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 11:13:49 AM
Author:canuk-gal
HI:

During our vacay in Cali this summer--we will be in ''town'' (LA
9.gif
) to see some baseball. I would like to be close to good shopping and eating and therefore would like to ask opinions for the most fabu hotel for an app. three night stay. We have a car as we are driving from our ''base'' in PS.

cheers--Sharon

The Beverly Hills Hotel or The Peninsula (rated the best hotel in America) are probably my top 2. What do you look for when dining out? Also, the Regent Beverly Wilshire is a great location for shopping an dining.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
How about....

Raffles L''Ermitage

http://beverlyhills.raffles.com/

Or....

The Peninsula

http://beverlyhills.peninsula.com/

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
The Hotel Bel Aire!

The most beautiful, luxurious hotel, ever!

It''s tucked into the hills and the grounds are magnificent...They even have luxurious, private bungalows.

It''s very "old Hollywood" and there''s nothing else like it.

http://www.hotelbelair.com/

Enjoy your trip!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW thanks for the great suggestions so far!!

As for dining--we are flexible and adventurous. I am a bit fussy--but enjoy fab breakfasts. Our teenage son precludes dining out at midnight, otherwise we are good to go! (actually we are asleep before he is....
41.gif
)

cheers--Sharon

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 11:26:24 AM
Author: LAJennifer
Date: 6/20/2008 11:13:49 AM

Author:canuk-gal

HI:

During our vacay in Cali this summer--we will be in ''town'' (LA
9.gif
) to see some baseball. I would like to be close to good shopping and eating and therefore would like to ask opinions for the most fabu hotel for an app. three night stay. We have a car as we are driving from our ''base'' in PS.

cheers--Sharon

The Beverly Hills Hotel or The Peninsula (rated the best hotel in America) are probably my top 2. What do you look for when dining out? Also, the Regent Beverly Wilshire is a great location for shopping an dining.

Ditto the first two LAJennifer suggested; they are the ones I thought of immediately when I read the subject line.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
You''ve gotten great hotel recommendations--can''t go wrong with either L''Ermitage or Peninsula!

As for dining, I recommend Mastro''s Steakhouse, Koi, Sushi Roku, The Ivy, Chinois on Main, Antonio''s (authentic Mexican), Mr. Chow, Spago, Crustacean. For casual but delish Persian food, I love Javan. I''ll try to think of more but that''s a start!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Raffles L''Ermitage is fantastic.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 1:34:08 PM
Author: curlygirl
You''ve gotten great hotel recommendations--can''t go wrong with either L''Ermitage or Peninsula!

As for dining, I recommend Mastro''s Steakhouse, Koi, Sushi Roku, The Ivy, Chinois on Main, Antonio''s (authentic Mexican), Mr. Chow, Spago, Crustacean. For casual but delish Persian food, I love Javan. I''ll try to think of more but that''s a start!
I ditto Mastro''s Steakhouse and Crustacean. And all the other selections - though I like Geisha House better than Sushi Roku. The Ivy - great for star watching, food is ok. Antonio''s (Mexican on Melrose) is good too - but I believe they are closed on Mondays. I live on Melrose, and there are a lot of great dining options: Providence, Table 8, All''Angelo - those are all upscale. For low-key vibe, great, inexpensive food and wonderful Sangria on Melrose: Cha Cha Cha and La La''s Argentine Grill are my 2 faves.

For breakfast - the brunch at The Beverly Hills Hotel is good. For more low-key with humongous portions - Doughboys (on Highland Ave in Hollywood).

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Also, if you are tempted to get a Pink''s Hotdog . . . please know that the line is ridiculous (if it is around the corner, then that is well over an hour and maybe even 2 hours). For the shortest line - weekdays before 11:30 AM, weekdays around 4 PM and weekends before 11:00 AM (actually between 10:00 or 10:30 AM is probably better). Forget going at noon or in the evenings.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hotel Bel Air, Beverly Hills Hotel

Spago, Grace, Providence, Osteria Mozza for your fine dining.

Lots of sushi...

AOC is fave winebar.

Pizzeria Mozza

Father''s Office for gastropub

Pinkberry, Sprinkles for the food fads

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got married at the Bel Air and love it but it is off the beaten path.

I adore the Peninsula. Stayed in one of their casita things and it was great. The Regent Beverly Wilshire is nice too.

The Barneys and Neiman's restaurants are nice for lunch and great if you are shopping in the area.

A lot has changed since I left but I always loved Rockenwagner and Joe's in Venice, and Chaya Brasserie, the Ivy, Spago, Ivy by the Shore. Go shopping on Melrose, Fred Segal there and in Santa Monica is great. Also go to Montana Avenue which is also one of my favorites.

AMGgal

Rough_Rock
Hotels: Bel-Air Hotel was really pretty, old H''wood. Four Seasons BH was ok...wasn''t as WOW as I thought it would be. Mondrian was a party hotel (if you like that).
Others: The Huntley/Santa Monica, Ritz Carlton/Pasedena, The W/Westwood

Restaurants:
French/Cal-French: Melisse/Santa Monica, La Cachette/Culver City, Jiraffe/Santa Monica, Sona/WeHo, Providence/Hollywood
Japanese: Matsuhisa/BH, Katsu-Ya/Encino, Nobu Malibu
Sushi: Nishimura, Sasabune
Steakhouse: Maestros/BH
Lunch: Campanile/LaBrea, Geoffrey''s/Malibu
LA Musts: Phillipe''s/Downtown, Pink''s, Father''s Office/Culver City, Urth Cafe/WLA

Shopping:
Melrose, 3rd St. Santa Monica, Oldtown Pasedena, Robertson Blvd, Montana in Santa Monica, The Grove & Farmer''s Market in Midtown, Century City Mall (remodeled), Venice Beach Boardwalk (not really shopping but lots of eclectic people and things to see.)

Let us know what you choose! Have a great time
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW--thanks gals! These suggestion are exactly what I had hoped for! We were discussing where to stay/what to do and we have "almost" decided on the Peninsula...I keep changing my mind! Maybe we need to stay for a week, afterall....so much eating/drinking/shopping....so little time.....!!
3.gif
10.gif

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2008 10:03:48 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

WOW--thanks gals! These suggestion are exactly what I had hoped for! We were discussing where to stay/what to do and we have 'almost' decided on the Peninsula...I keep changing my mind! Maybe we need to stay for a week, afterall....so much eating/drinking/shopping....so little time.....!!
3.gif
10.gif

cheers--Sharon
HI:

OKOK now it is the Bel Aire
9.gif
....I think the Mondrian is undergoing a reno....

cheers--Sharon

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2008 11:30:30 AM

Date: 6/21/2008 10:03:48 AM
HI:

WOW--thanks gals! These suggestion are exactly what I had hoped for! We were discussing where to stay/what to do and we have ''almost'' decided on the Peninsula...I keep changing my mind! Maybe we need to stay for a week, afterall....so much eating/drinking/shopping....so little time.....!!
3.gif
10.gif

cheers--Sharon
HI:

OKOK now it is the Bel Aire
9.gif
....I think the Mondrian is undergoing a reno....

cheers--Sharon
Don''t stay there - the rooms are crap. However, I do recommend their restaurant Asia de Cuba and the Skybar (great views).

mrm

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t do the Bel Air. I had my parents stay there once and it was not impressive. Overrated. Plus you can''t walk to shopping. The Beverly Hills and Santa Monica hotels are better.

The food suggestions were good. As for the Ivy, the food is better in Santa Monica, but it is more "sceney" in Beverly Hills. For "healthy" but really good food (lunch places ,not trendy) Newsroom on Robertson and Jack Sprats (they give you soft pretzels instead of bread to start :) ). Chaya Venice is really good for dinner. Katsuya in Brentwood is fun for sushi and robata but expect a wait (even with a res) during popular hours. Omlet Paurlor in Venice was a FANTASTIC breakfast. Four seasons brunch is always outstanding.

Are you guys big baseball fans? Who is your team?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to be a downer, but I stayed at the Bel Air and the room was not so nice. I wouldn''t recommend it! The pool was great and the area around the hotel is gorgeous, but that''s about it. Just my two cents!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I love the restaurant at the mondrian, but I wouldnt stay there. It''s on the sunset strip, so it isnt in beverly hills (neither is the Bel Air). I have never stayed at any of the hotels, only eaten in them. But I wanted to add that Barney''s Greengrass is the place to go for sunday brunch!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA to Flutter that is the restaurant on the top floor of Barney''s dept store. Great business lunch scene during the week as well.

Matsuhisa is also great if you love sushi, and Sushi Ro Ku (spelling).

Dan Tana''s in West Hollywood is old guard Italian, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin used to eat there, and it is great for star sightings now too. A lot of young Hollywood go there.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon,

Are you coming to San Francisco?? If you are when??

Linda

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2008 12:09:36 AM
Author: Linda W
Sharon,

Linda
HI:

Linda--not this time around.
8.gif
We have taken a house in PS for the month, and will be making small trips here and there (maybe to Vegas too BUT we''ll see about that --I hate driving!!). For now DH wants to see some baseball (the Angels I believe are playiing during our time there) and he also wants to see Universal Studios. BIg kid!

Thanks to all the suggestions for hotels and restaurants!! So helpful! I like the location of the Wilshire, but the Peninsula appears to have ambiance. I need to month just for shopipng and eating alone!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2008 6:13:09 PM
Author: mrm
I wouldn''t do the Bel Air. I had my parents stay there once and it was not impressive. Overrated. Plus you can''t walk to shopping. The Beverly Hills and Santa Monica hotels are better.

The food suggestions were good. As for the Ivy, the food is better in Santa Monica, but it is more ''sceney'' in Beverly Hills. For ''healthy'' but really good food (lunch places ,not trendy) Newsroom on Robertson and Jack Sprats (they give you soft pretzels instead of bread to start :) ). Chaya Venice is really good for dinner. Katsuya in Brentwood is fun for sushi and robata but expect a wait (even with a res) during popular hours. Omlet Paurlor in Venice was a FANTASTIC breakfast. Four seasons brunch is always outstanding.

Are you guys big baseball fans? Who is your team?
HI:

Thanks. BTW, my DH is a sports nut period--and I like baseball b/c I played it as a teenager.....the last time I was at a conference in LA, I attended a game and really enjoyed myself. Glad to be going again--I think the Abgels are playing when we are there......hope tickets will be easy to secure.....I thihk it might be quite busy as everyone else in the country has the same idea we do!

cheers--Sharon

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 2:13:24 PM

Date: 6/22/2008 12:09:36 AM
Author: Linda W
Sharon,

Linda
HI:

Linda--not this time around.
8.gif
We have taken a house in PS for the month, and will be making small trips here and there (maybe to Vegas too BUT we''ll see about that --I hate driving!!). For now DH wants to see some baseball (the Angels I believe are playiing during our time there) and he also wants to see Universal Studios. BIg kid!

Thanks to all the suggestions for hotels and restaurants!! So helpful! I like the location of the Wilshire, but the Peninsula appears to have ambiance. I need to month just for shopipng and eating alone!

cheers--Sharon
Universal Studios gets chilly at night - so bring a light jacket. Also, the same goes for Dodger Stadium (if you go there).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results