shape
carat
color
clarity

Best HM location(s) for novice travelers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
So, FI and I thought we had the HM figured out, but nope. Our original thought was Punta Cana. That''s still an option, but I''m wondering if there are better options out there.

FI and I don''t travel. Honestly, we really can''t afford it, so we want the HM to be amazing. He''s never been out of the country, and I have only 1 time (on a cruise). We want to do an all inclusive anywhere, as long as there is amazingly clear blue water (sounds odd, but I''ve always wanted to swim in an ocean where I can see my feet. Our ocean here in NJ is brown, lol!). The budget is ~$3,000, but we''re willing to go up to $3,500 for an amazing location. The HM will be 8/2-8/9. We''ll be traveling out of Philadelphia Int''l Airport.

So, I''m enlisting the help of the lovely PS ladies for suggestions. You ladies rock at everything else, so I know you''ll have some great suggestions.

Thankies!
9.gif
9.gif

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
If you are interested in Jamaica, look into Couples. They are amazing. I was just there in January of this year. It was gorgeous and we had a blast. Fiance'' has never been out of the country either and he had the time of his life. We stayed at Couples Negril. Look them up. Promise you will love it!
emsmile.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I would also suggest Sandals St Lucia, or the bahamas in general- the water there is amazing!

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
We spent around 2k to stay at Excellence Riviera Cancun and it was fabulous! I think that any AI resort is going to pretty easy to navigate. They will have airport transfers that you can buy as part of the package and have a desk that you can book tours through. I would definitely recommend where we stayed, but also wanted to point out that your dates are within hurricane season. (this isn''t a huge deal we went during hurricane season, just got insurance, and a much better deal) If you are concerned about hurricanes, Aruba is out of the hurricane belt so it is a safe bet year round.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of anyone having a bad Hawaiian vacation. That is what I would suggest.

Are you and FI beach people? What do you envision when you think "amazing vacation"?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 8:38:37 PM
Author: Morgie44
We spent around 2k to stay at Excellence Riviera Cancun and it was fabulous! I think that any AI resort is going to pretty easy to navigate. They will have airport transfers that you can buy as part of the package and have a desk that you can book tours through. I would definitely recommend where we stayed, but also wanted to point out that your dates are within hurricane season. (this isn''t a huge deal we went during hurricane season, just got insurance, and a much better deal) If you are concerned about hurricanes, Aruba is out of the hurricane belt so it is a safe bet year round.

I''ve stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres twice, and actually just booked a December post-finals mini-break there today!

The Excellence resorts are really outstanding. When I have more time (and thus don''t need a direct flight), I really want to try Excellence Punta Cana.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 9:41:46 PM
Author: katamari
I have never heard of anyone having a bad Hawaiian vacation. That is what I would suggest.

Are you and FI beach people? What do you envision when you think 'amazing vacation'?

Oh we totally are!!!!! I envision sitting on a beautiful beach, with a drink in my hand, future DH's hand in the other, with my toes in crystal blue water. Oh, and I like really hot weather, too!
10.gif
The only thing that would be a negative to Hawaii is that we want all inclusive. I don't think there are any on Hawaii islands, but please correct me if I'm wrong! We'd LOVE Hawaii!
9.gif

::sigh::I wish it was this weekend, lol!
10.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the hurricane season tip...I didn''t even think about that!!!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 10:34:42 PM
Author: sillyberry

I''ve stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres twice, and actually just booked a December post-finals mini-break there today!

The Excellence resorts are really outstanding. When I have more time (and thus don''t need a direct flight), I really want to try Excellence Punta Cana.

That was our original Punta Cana choice. If we decide to Punta Cana, it will be at the Excellence.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
We just booked our honeymoon to St. Lucia this past weekend!! We normally always fly out of Philly, but for some reason all of the non-stops are out of NY, so we went with JFK(the best of the three in NY). We did an AI at a Sandals in St. Lucia, roundtrip airfare and transfers from sunday-sunday in June of 2010. $3,400 and did a room upgrade. A friend of a friend stayed there for their honeymoon and said it was amazing! Also a friend of mine just stayed at couples in Jamaica for her honeymoon and judging by the pictures it was beautiful! Im not sure what she spent though.

Not sure where your wedding is ( i grew up in Ocean/Monmouth county in NJ so thats where our ceremony and reception are) I currently live outside philly....so NY may be too far for you? We just figured an hour drive from our hotel in Monmouth County the next day to NY is better than sitting in the Miami airport for a 3 hour layover....

there are tons of places-check out applevacations.com (thats who we booked through, they have the best prices I''ve seen, they also give you a travel agent to deal with, we chose our own so they would be near by!)

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Princess - we also considered Excellence Punta Cana, but ended up choosing Cancun (it''s not actually in Cancun it is about 20 minutes outside of the hotel strip) was because there is a great mix of things to do, if you want to sit all day by the pool/beach you can easily do that, but then if you get bored there is TONS to see and do. We went to Xcaret, Chichen Itza, and rented a private sailboat for 4 hours to go to Isla Mujeres.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
Fi and I went to Playa Del Carmen/Mayan Riviera last year for a wedding and it was beautiful. Not far from Cancun but way less touristy/hectic. The water is incredible. I''m sure there are a ton of all inclusives to choose from there.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 10:46:53 PM
Author: princessplease

Date: 10/20/2009 9:41:46 PM
Author: katamari

Are you and FI beach people? What do you envision when you think ''amazing vacation''?

Oh we totally are!!!!! I envision sitting on a beautiful beach, with a drink in my hand, future DH''s hand in the other, with my toes in crystal blue water. Oh, and I like really hot weather, too!
10.gif
The only thing that would be a negative to Hawaii is that we want all inclusive. I don''t think there are any on Hawaii islands, but please correct me if I''m wrong! We''d LOVE Hawaii!
9.gif

::sigh::I wish it was this weekend, lol!
10.gif

Based on this , Hawaii might not be great for you actually. There is a no alcohol rule on the beach in Hawaii, I didn''t come across any all inclusives there and the water is more bluuuue (beautiful!) but not really see through. However, Hawaii is AMAZING, so maybe keep it on your list for a later time.

I''d suggest somewhere in the caribbean or Mexico. They are known for their all inclusives. I love Cancun - last time we stayed at the Sun Palace and it was great. I know I have written about our experience on here before if you don''t mind searching through my old posts.

Have fun!

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
Cozumel is really nice. It''s right across from Cancun. My mom and I went for a mother-daughter vacation. We stayed at an all-inclusive place (forget the name, sorry). The water was beautiful--very clear with blues and greens, and the snorkling was lots of fun. When we weren''t swimming or snorkling, we sat on the beach with our daiquiris (also included).

Funny coincidence...I went to the NJ shore a lot when I was a kid. I didn''t know the ocean could be any color but brown until many years later.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably do a 5-star in Jamaica. I hear the beaches are outstanding there. And, I know people who''ve been to some of the nicer resorts there and absolutely raved - great food, good service, nice rooms, etc.

I hear more mixed things about DR especially in terms of feeling somewhat... unsafe. This varies a LOT depending on who you ask though. I just think Jamaica seems more suited to a luxurious HM.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Since you''re coming from Philly, I''d nix Hawaii because you''d lose 2 days for travel. It takes a long time to get there...6 hours from Seattle (not direct).
40.gif

I''ve never been anywhere either, (we''re cruising
10.gif
) so I have no other advice for you, sorry!!

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
Here''s some pics from our trip to Couples in Jamaica. I have a ton but here are a few.

CNRoom.JPG

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
Pool Bar :)

PoolBar.JPG

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
The beach in the morning... and this pic really doesn''t do it any justice!!!! I have very few pics here at work!

resortbeach.JPG

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
One of the many amazing sunsets we saw while there! This one was taken at Rick''s Cafe. That place is sooo fun!

rickssunset.JPG

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
Actually the last sunset I posted was from the catamaran cruise (booze cruise) this one was from Rick''s.

rickscafesunsest.JPG

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
We took this before we left. My fiance'' proposed to me while we were there :0)

cnengagementcute.JPG

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
Ok no more pics, promise :) If you are interested at all in Jamaica check out the Couples website. Tons of info there plus they have a messageboard also that is super helpful! Good luck with your decision!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock

Dani, thanks for the pics. I''ll definitely add Jamaica to the list. It looks lovely!!!

absolut, I was worried about th safety of the DR. Like you, I heard mixed reviews about the DR being safe.

Danielle, thanks for the alcohol tip. I defintiely want to sip drinks on the beach, so HI is off the lsit for HM. As sunnyd mentioned, we would lost 2 days flying, and we really don''t want that.

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
Fi & I **LOVE** this place: The Royal Cancun

It''s adults only, all inclusive. All of the rooms have an ocean view, a big balcony with a hammock, super comfy beds, pillow menus, ipod docks with an ipod they load for you, jacuzzis, 2 person showers. Every night they do turn-down service with aromatherapy oil. Seriously, this place was heaven for the 5 days we spent there. The food is great, you don''t need reservations, the pool overlooks the beach/ocean, pool service is plentiful. I think it definitely has what you''re looking for. Also, before you book anywhere, I''d check out the hotel''s reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. Happy planning!

Revana03

Rough_Rock
ARUBA! perfect weather all of the time and its gorgeous! there''s your pick of a variety of different types of resorts/hotels/all-inclusives. And its safe. And it has lovely beaches. And it''s so very affordable :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results