shape
carat
color
clarity

Best de-stressing workouts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thedreamer

Rough_Rock
I have just gotten out of a three year relationship and I need to find something that I can do to make me feel good about me again. When my last relationship ended I started boxing one on one with an awesome coach. It was possibly the best thing I have ever done, but it got expensive, I slowly stopped going, and now I have moved to a different state where there are no good boxing gyms.

I need to find something that lets me focus just on me that is preferably a class or one on one with a trainer. I hate gyms normally, thats why boxing was so good for me. It was intense and I couldn't possibly think of anything during the workout but boxing. I was thinking maybe yoga? Or something similar? I have no clue, but I know that I want to get involved in something to take my mind off of all of this and let me work through my issues. Maybe something that helps build self-esteem?

If this belongs in the healthier lifestyles thread, let me know and I'll move it.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!
16.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yoga. Definitely Yoga!

It is relaxing, peaceful and strengthening, and it makes you very aware of your body. I''ve been doing yoga for about 6 weeks and am very much enjoying it... I''ve gotten much more flexible and aware of my muscles and also much more confident. I think it would do you a lot of good.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that jogging is the only thing that I really love. I''ve done yoga & pilates as well, but I don''t see a significant change in my body as quickly as when I jog.

I love to go jog 2 or 3 miles every day - it clears my head, and I focus on meditative breathing. THen when I''m done, I feel like I''ve done something really good for my body.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m with vespergirl - running/jogging is great for me for clearing my head and is very challenging, enough to really de-stress me. Maybe you could look for a running/training group to join? Often they will train for specific events/races, which would be really great for building self-esteem - I know for me, running has been a struggle (not something my body does naturally) so whenever I can hit a new milestone for distance, or speed, or whatever, it feels like a huge accomplishment, especially because its something that you really have to do yourself and you can''t fake it. And a group might also be a good way to get support and encouragement from those around you in this difficult time.

Good ways to find running/training groups would be to check with a local running store - most cities have one. If not, try a general sporting-good store, or check online - RunnserWorld.com probably has some listings and some suggestions for finding a group locally.

Good luck and good for you for trying to find ways to channel your energy in such a positive way at this difficult time in your life
36.gif

thedreamer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the ideas! I wish so badly that I could run/job but I have the worst ankles from when I was a kid and played soccer and danced so even walking for long periods of time is extremely painful for me. Maybe I''ll look into really strong ankle braces and give it a try (all doctors have warned me that any activity without these braces will cause the rest of my ligaments to stretch to the point of no return
32.gif
)

Amber Gretchen, I do get inspired though when I see people training for marathons together. . . maybe I can join a triathlon team that lets me only cycle, because I stink at swimming too. I don''t even know if those exist. . . I''ll have to look into it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results