shape
carat
color
clarity

Best cleaning recipe for WG in US

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve read thru some monster threads concerning the Sharper Image US and I now have one on order :) I got the deluxe one for it''s ability to clean silver as well. Anyhow, most of the posts refer to Mr.Clean and various other components to great recipes but I''m not clear if those will also work for white gold rings. Does anyone know for sure of a recipe that will work well for WG?

(I did a search on this but didn''t find anything specific but if there is another thread, I would be grateful for a redirect!!)

Thank you!!!! I''m so excited to get my SI US and want to have the right products on hand when it comes
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anything that doesn't contain ammonia in it is best. That doesn't mean you can't ever use such a product, but just don't do it too often, as it is hard on it. I use a mix of ammonia and Dawn with very hot water about once every 2 months or so for a really good cleaning, as it does work the best.

I have a WG setting, and I use a variety of things.

Dawn

Sparkle sparkle

Alcohol (rubbing, not the drinking kind)
9.gif

This stuff---> http://www.connoisseurs.com/jc/cleansing_gel_brush.htm

And this stuff---> http://www.gesswein.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?cat=5&sub=2&subsub=5&catalog=1&CFID=1114561&CFTOKEN=47319977

HTH

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Ellen!

And you use these products in your ultrasonic machine? (just checking)

ETA: I've had a WG ering for 8 months now and I've been using the windex/dish detergent/toothbrush method the whole time
23.gif
I've had my new (we went for an upgrade but ended up changing everything so walked out with a completely diffrent one) ering now for 1 month and so hopefully, now that I know amonia isn't good for WG and will stop using it, I haven't done any damage
38.gif
39.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 11:29:52 AM
Author: So_happy
Thank you, Ellen!

And you use these products in your ultrasonic machine? (just checking)

ETA: I''ve had a WG ering for 8 months now and I''ve been using the windex/dish detergent/toothbrush method the whole time
23.gif
I''ve had my new (we went for an upgrade but ended up changing everything so walked out with a completely diffrent one) ering now for 1 month and so hopefully, now that I know amonia isn''t good for WG and will stop using it, I haven''t done any damage
38.gif
39.gif
You''re welcome.

Yes, in my US.

And don''t worry, it won''t kill your ring, lol. It just wears the Rhodium off faster.
2.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 11:06:10 AM
Author: Ellen
Anything that doesn''t contain ammonia in it is best. That doesn''t mean you can''t ever use such a product, but just don''t do it too often, as it is hard on it. I use a mix of ammonia and Dawn with very hot water about once every 2 months or so for a really good cleaning, as it does work the best.

I have a WG setting, and I use a variety of things.

Dawn

Sparkle sparkle

Alcohol (rubbing, not the drinking kind)
9.gif

This stuff---> http://www.connoisseurs.com/jc/cleansing_gel_brush.htm

And this stuff---> http://www.gesswein.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?cat=5&sub=2&subsub=5&catalog=1&CFID=1114561&CFTOKEN=47319977

HTH
thx Ellen. My tiffany atlas is white gold too and I have been doing hot water and dish soap, didn''t think about alcohol though (at least not for my ring haha
11.gif
).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 1:05:16 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone

thx Ellen. My tiffany atlas is white gold too and I have been doing hot water and dish soap, didn''t think about alcohol though (at least not for my ring haha
11.gif
).
9.gif

I just wanted to let you both know, I DON''T use the Con GEL in my US, that''s the only one. Sorry!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
All the jewelry I wear regularly is WG, and I use Mr. Clean, dishwashing liquid, ammonia or a combo depending on what I feel like at the time. A little Mr. Clean and a little ammonia in hot water seems to work the absolute best for me. I haven''t had any problems with WG and ammonia, even when I accidentally left it soaking overnight.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I e-mailed John Pollard at WF a while back, after getting engaged. I wanted to hear from him the best way to clean my ering. Here's what he had to say (it's from an article he's writing):

"Some diamond jewelry is worn 24 hours a day. Diamonds are brilliant but still require proper cleaning to keep their appearance. Lotions, soaps and skin oils create a film and attract dirt. This changes the refractive index of the diamond and causes it to look dull, even if the dirt is unseen, on the pavilion (bottom) of the diamond. Regular cleaning will keep your diamond jewelry looking its best.

DO clean daily-worn jewelry once per week. A concentration of mild dishwashing detergent & warm water is good for diamond jewelry. Allow jewelry to soak for 10 minutes in the solution, then use a soft brush to scrub away particles; especially underneath gemstones. Rinse and dry with a clean soft cloth. Seriously soiled jewelry should be cleaned professionally.

DO regularly clean stored jewelry with a soft chamois cloth regularly to keep it lustrous and ready for wear.

DON’T use polishing compound, a brush with toothpaste on it or materials unintended for jewelry. Toothpaste is an abrasive and will damage metal.

DON’T use sharp or hard objects to remove dirt or particles.

It is ok to have a local jeweler you know and trust steam clean or inspect your ring (while you wait) but any work should be done by Whiteflash."

I should say that I don't have an US and I'm not sure I'm going to get one. Maybe someday but for now, mild dishwashing soap, warm water, a baby toothbrush, and lint-free paper towels do the trick.

ETA: I should mention that my rings are platinum, not WG. I'm not sure if John's recommendations would be the same for WG.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen~ Thank you for the assurance
1.gif
I''ll stop using it right away. So, what is this Sparkle Sparkle you refer to? Normal supermarket purchase? Good for WG? And thanx for clarifying that Con Gel is no good for the US. I was already about to buy it, too, just for that purpose.

Christa~ So, you are using MrClean (that has ammonia in it I think) with your WG ring and no problems? From what I''m hearing from others, it can wear away the rhodium faster than what would occur naturally. Have you noticed this?

Zoe~ Thank you for that article! I read the whole thing like I was reading scripture........until I got to the bottom about it possibly not applying to WG
15.gif
I think I''ll stick to a non-amonia-based cleaning supply like Dawn until I find out for sure.

BTW, is it Dawn, specifically, that works the best........or can any ole dishwashing liquid do the trick? I have the Ultra Palmolive pink oxy cleaning stuff now that I''ve used on occasion but I''m now wondering if Dawn is better somehow...............

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHy don''t you e-mail John and ask him if his rules apply to WG also? I would say they would but I''m not in the biz. John''s great about replying to e-mails right away, so that''s what I''d recommend.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/6/2007 1:00:13 PM
1.gif
I''ll stop using it right away. So, what is this Sparkle Sparkle you refer to? Normal supermarket purchase? Good for WG? And thanx for clarifying that Con Gel is no good for the US. I was already about to buy it, too, just for that purpose.

Christa~ So, you are using MrClean (that has ammonia in it I think) with your WG ring and no problems? From what I''m hearing from others, it can wear away the rhodium faster than what would occur naturally. Have you noticed this?

Zoe~ Thank you for that article! I read the whole thing like I was reading scripture........until I got to the bottom about it possibly not applying to WG
15.gif
I think I''ll stick to a non-amonia-based cleaning supply like Dawn until I find out for sure.

BTW, is it Dawn, specifically, that works the best........or can any ole dishwashing liquid do the trick? I have the Ultra Palmolive pink oxy cleaning stuff now that I''ve used on occasion but I''m now wondering if Dawn is better somehow...............
Palmolive Oxy seems to work especially well for me.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Zoebartlett~ Good idea! Now, how do I email this John?

Christa~ Oh, goodie :) So, I''m not alone. The stuff cleans my dishes like nobody''s business so I was assuming it''d do an okay job on my ring but it''s getting low and I wanted to see if I should switch to Dawn or stay with Palmolive
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2007 1:00:13 PM
1.gif
SH, sorry, I forgot to check back on this thread.

Here is the link to it. WF sent me some when I got my studs, it works pretty well. Although you can use it as a spray to quick clean, I also use it in my US.

http://www.nventa.com/sparklesparkle/-p-48.html

As for emailing John, there should be a link in his sig.

HTH

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I do what zoe does...But I use a mixture from a friend in the jewelry business:

2/3 Simple green
1/3 hot water

soak ring for 10 minutes, then I take a sable hair fine paintbrush (short tipped because it''s stiffer and wont buckle when I shove it under the setting!) and I gently brush (with the soapy solution) all over the stones and with the fine, yet stiff brush I can even get into the back of the setting so I can clean the undersides of all the stones thoroughly. Then rinse in clean water and dry gently with lint-free paper towel/tissue/towel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results