shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Camera for $400 ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I apologize for yet another camera post -- but new models come out so often, would like to look to you experts for advice.

Looking to spend $400 give or take. I have a Kodak Easyshare from 2002 and it''s time for something new. I would like something with a nice zoom to take lots of pictures of my beautiful new ring and any other gems I acquire along the way!

I would like something small that could fit in my purse, with a nice long battery life that is easy to use.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
The Cannon IXUS is meant to be fairly good and well under your budget at about $299

we are currently looking at buying a new camera ourselves and are considering this Cannon Powershot for the price it looks fairly awesome :)

There seems to be a drastic drop in digicam prices lately :)

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 10:51:10 AM
Author: Deelight
The Cannon IXUS is meant to be fairly good and well under your budget at about $299

we are currently looking at buying a new camera ourselves and are considering this Cannon Powershot for the price it looks fairly awesome :)

There seems to be a drastic drop in digicam prices lately :)
Thanks Deelight!
emsmile.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I just got a Canon SD 850 IS for Xmas. It is AMAZING. It even has a digital macro function so you can take diamond pics without daylight. There are functions where you can select a color and then the picture is in black and white with the exception of the color (think of the cinematography in Schindler''s list). The optical zoom is extremely detailed. It has face detection technology so you don''t have to worry about the ghost-like white faces that digital cameras sometimes create when taking pics with a flash. It has stabilization technology so you can be waving your hands around while holding the camera, take a picture, and get a photo that isn''t blurry. When I was trying to figure out what model I wanted, this one packed the absolute most features on the market.

There was a thread on this camera a couple months ago - several PSers have it and love it as much as I do. In fact, I don''t think anyone posted a single negative comment. The comments on Amazon are also VERY positive, and there you can see about 100 or so pics that people have taken with their 850s. It''s an 8MP camera (around $250 I think - you can find excellent deals on the ''net), but canon just came out with a 12 MP also that is more in the $400 budget. The digital elph line is fabulous, you wouldn''t be going wrong.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 11:09:06 AM
Author: Elmorton
I just got a Canon SD 850 IS for Xmas. It is AMAZING.
Another vote for this one! Thought mine is an 800 (I''ve had it for a year, I think before the 850 came out?). Anyway, this is what I''ve been using exclusively. I took it to Hawaii followed by Seattle for 3 weeks last May/June, used it constantly, and never had to charge/change the battery (though I do have a backup one in case I need it). It''s very petite, too (bonus!). I''d recommend it glowingly
16.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have the 870 IS? I don''t mean to hijack but have also been looking at digital cameras, and the Canon digital elphs seem to rate exceptionally well. I find the reviews at dp review and CNet to be the most helpful.

The 870 IS, which I guess is the successor to the 800 IS rather than the 850, seems to get really excellent reviews and would be in your price range.

I''ve had an SD550 for about a year and a half now and I''ve been pleased with it but would love to have some additional image stabilization capabilities, hence why I''m considering upgrading to the 870.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Digital Elph and i love it. i''m sure the 800, 850 and 870s are the newes versions of this so i''m already outdated (had it a year maybe?) but if they have improved upon what i have then you cannot go wrong. this camera is compact (fits in purse and i bought a slimline leather case online that simply protects it and adds NO bulk, which i LOVE from http://stores.ebay.com/ProCases). it is super easy to use, has all the right features, has a fast shutter for kid pics and a great macro for closeups. there are numerous other features for different environments, panorama shots, special effects, etc. and they are all also easy to access and easy to use.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
canon PowerShot SD870 IS

i tried this out in the store and am seriously considering getting it. the best thing - optical stabilizer. i was able to take a very clear pic of my ering in the store. when i use my current canon to take jewelry pics, the pic is usually blurry unless i take the pic outside during daylight or use tripod when inside.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 12:41:21 PM
Author: ringster
canon PowerShot SD870 IS

i tried this out in the store and am seriously considering getting it. the best thing - optical stabilizer. i was able to take a very clear pic of my ering in the store. when i use my current canon to take jewelry pics, the pic is usually blurry unless i take the pic outside during daylight or use tripod when inside.
Thanks ringster... seems like Canon is the way to go....

It took me 2 hours to get a couple decent closeups of my diamond when I first received it (since most were a blurry mess). So many PS''ers have these great photos of their jewerly, I just can''t wait to be able to take those kinds of pics!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the canon 850 hands down. i have the 550 and i can''t wait to upgrade to 850. aljdewey is one of the gals on here who has the 850 ... check out her amazing closeups of the diamonds and baubles she''s come across. the image stabilizer is a must...mine doesn''t have it.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 11:09:06 AM
Author: Elmorton
I just got a Canon SD 850 IS for Xmas. It is AMAZING. It even has a digital macro function so you can take diamond pics without daylight. There are functions where you can select a color and then the picture is in black and white with the exception of the color (think of the cinematography in Schindler''s list). The optical zoom is extremely detailed. It has face detection technology so you don''t have to worry about the ghost-like white faces that digital cameras sometimes create when taking pics with a flash. It has stabilization technology so you can be waving your hands around while holding the camera, take a picture, and get a photo that isn''t blurry. When I was trying to figure out what model I wanted, this one packed the absolute most features on the market.

There was a thread on this camera a couple months ago - several PSers have it and love it as much as I do. In fact, I don''t think anyone posted a single negative comment. The comments on Amazon are also VERY positive, and there you can see about 100 or so pics that people have taken with their 850s. It''s an 8MP camera (around $250 I think - you can find excellent deals on the ''net), but canon just came out with a 12 MP also that is more in the $400 budget. The digital elph line is fabulous, you wouldn''t be going wrong.
Yup, I just bought this one for myself for Christmas. I LOVE it! The macro is great for ring pics.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another fan of the 850IS. Is Alj getting commission from all these sales?
1.gif

One thing to note...what are you going to us the camera for? If you are using for vacation, landscape shots, etc, consider the 800. I have noticed on the 850 that the narrower field sometimes bugs me...especially trying to get a lot of people in a photo. But I bought this camera primarily to take pics of TTot once born, so the single subject plus the closer macro sold me on the 850.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I''d actually say the Canon G9 but it may be a bit big for your tastes. I just went from a really tiny Sony to this and I was debating about whether or not I was going to regret the extra size but after seeing the fabulous night shots it takes there is no doubt I made the right choice. I purchased the underwater housing for it so it''s all scuba ready to go and I can''t wait to try that out. I like my manual controls so this model had a huge edge over most others.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
how do any of these do in an okay lit room?
For example, my DD is on a little stage or something at school, I''m not too far away, maybe 12-20 feet away, so the flash doesn''t reach but the room isn''t dark - the lights are on. My Canon''s photos come out compeltely dark, like the lights aren''t on
7.gif

Mine''s a Powershot A630.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
bump :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2008 12:45:09 PM
Author: ringabling
how do any of these do in an okay lit room?
For example, my DD is on a little stage or something at school, I''m not too far away, maybe 12-20 feet away, so the flash doesn''t reach but the room isn''t dark - the lights are on. My Canon''s photos come out compeltely dark, like the lights aren''t on
7.gif

Mine''s a Powershot A630.
the same as would any p&s...
that''s dslr territory.

G9 or 5sIS with a 430ex flash would likely be the best p&s for that but your looking at $250 just for the flash.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
eh, I havea 6 yr old girl & 3.5 yr old twin boys. . . this Momma''s hands are too busy for an SLR! LOL! I''d love one for home, but I need a nifty PnS for outings.
I had a Fuji that actually automatically backlit dark photos for me really well, but it has a lot of little bugs that prhibit from working dependably
7.gif

My Canon is fantastic but really stinks in anything other than bright light

:sigh:

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 11:52:41 PM
eh, I havea 6 yr old girl & 3.5 yr old twin boys. . . this Momma''s hands are too busy for an SLR! LOL! I''d love one for home, but I need a nifty PnS for outings.
I had a Fuji that actually automatically backlit dark photos for me really well, but it has a lot of little bugs that prhibit from working dependably
7.gif

I have a Nikon D40 DSLR, and it operates better than a PnS. I needed it because by 19 month old was too fast - by the time my old camera focused, he was gone! Now, I can wrap off 4 shots before he is on to me. I am a camera beginner, so if I can run it and keep my eyes on a toddler, you can too!!!
36.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 3:17:25 PM
Thanks for the bump ringabling...

I''m still undecided -- I like the G9... just want an easy camera to use (fast download time) and long battery life.
It''s harder that I thought to compare all the options. Since you said the Canon is not good in the dark, I''m worried... as I also need pics of the little ones at school plays/sports etc....

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 11:29:28 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
I have a Nikon D40 DSLR, and it operates better than a PnS. I needed it because by 19 month old was too fast - by the time my old camera focused, he was gone! Now, I can wrap off 4 shots before he is on to me. I am a camera beginner, so if I can run it and keep my eyes on a toddler, you can too!!!
36.gif
What a nice camera! I have been looking at buying a new digital camera and the Nikon D40 DSLR is very nice. Like lovewhitediamonds, lighting in my apartment is not very good, how does it do in more subdued light conditions without the flash? I ask because it does not seem to come with a flash, though you can buy one for $100.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a cannon A570 with image stablizer which is good for the price I paid. But my parent's camera is a Sony CyberShot and theirs blows mine WAY out of the water (and it's around what you are looking to spend).

julabean

Shiny_Rock
Omieluv, the Nikon D40 does have a flash. There''s a button on the side of the camera that you push and it flips up. My Nikon D40 is better than a point and shoot at taking pictures in low light because it automatically adjusts the f-stop and all of that other jazz I don''t really understand. Whereas my old digital camera would sometimes take very fuzzy pictures when the lighting is bad, I can get clear shots of my cats hiding under my dining room table that are clear and crisp. You also have the option of buying a separate flash that sits on top of your camera and you can use to bounce the light around, depending on the shot.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
7.gif

I don''t know how old your Canon is, but I can tell you that the SD850 (and several of its predecessors) have Scene modes designed to give you better results in low-light conditions, and using them will drastically improve the results you''re getting.

If your camera has them, use the Indoor, Night Shot, and Night Scene modes to help you get better results.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 12:31:08 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

Date: 1/15/2008 3:17:25 PM
Thanks for the bump ringabling...

I''m still undecided -- I like the G9... just want an easy camera to use (fast download time) and long battery life.
It''s harder that I thought to compare all the options. Since you said the Canon is not good in the dark, I''m worried... as I also need pics of the little ones at school plays/sports etc....

LWD, I have the Canon SD850, and I can tell you that it operates fine in the dark if you use the proper modes to accommodate for them.

As far as school plays, it will really depend on how far away you are from the stage. If you need to be a significant distance away and zoom in with low light conditions, then NO point and shoot is going to produce great results.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 1:29:45 PM
Author: aljdewey

7.gif

I don''t know how old your Canon is, but I can tell you that the SD850 (and several of its predecessors) have Scene modes designed to give you better results in low-light conditions, and using them will drastically improve the results you''re getting.

If your camera has them, use the Indoor, Night Shot, and Night Scene modes to help you get better results.
my camera isn''t old, maybe 1.5 yrs{?}
I''m pretty fluent w/ cameras and have tried every setting scene mode; portrait, indoor, night shot, action. . . plus putting it in manual mode, and have jacked w/ the ISO settings as well. . .
it''s mostly a great camera otherwise, a lot better than my Fuji in some ways but really weak in conditions that aren''t bright
7.gif

I think it''s just this particular model''s weak spot
20.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 1:06:22 PM
Author: julabean
Omieluv, the Nikon D40 does have a flash. There''s a button on the side of the camera that you push and it flips up. My Nikon D40 is better than a point and shoot at taking pictures in low light because it automatically adjusts the f-stop and all of that other jazz I don''t really understand. Whereas my old digital camera would sometimes take very fuzzy pictures when the lighting is bad, I can get clear shots of my cats hiding under my dining room table that are clear and crisp. You also have the option of buying a separate flash that sits on top of your camera and you can use to bounce the light around, depending on the shot.
Thanks for the information! Though point & shoot cameras are always nice for their convenience, I am looking for something that gives me more options and this one looks like it could fit the bill. Right now, I would like a camera that is good for action shots, has some sort of a motion stabilizer function and is great in low light conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results