shape
carat
color
clarity

Belly pooch?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies!

I''m in week 4 of my new fitness regime in preparation for my October wedding. Thus far, I''ve been doing about 30 mins of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training twice a week, plus I walk about 2 miles per day to and from work. I think I''m starting to tone up and I certainly feel stronger, so I will keep up with it!

My question is that I have a STUBBORN belly pooch that goes from my belly button down to my pubic bone. It''s definitely like a spare tire/muffin top, and it''s only really developed in the past year or so. Now, I don''t think I''ll be able to obliterate it completely by October, but my wedding dress is fitted through the lower waist and you can definitely see some pooch action in it!

Crunches haven''t really worked thus far. I bought the Hip Hop Abs dvd the other day and plan on giving that a try. Is there anything else I could be doing to attack this stubborn bit of fat? I''m about a size 8 otherwise.

Thanks!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i''m not expert, but i''ve always heard that crunches don''t really eliminate fat. they work the muscles underneath the fat. therefore, cardio is a must. but it sounds like you''ve already incorporated that into your workout
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2008 11:07:02 AM
Author: jcrow
i''m not expert, but i''ve always heard that crunches don''t really eliminate fat. they work the muscles underneath the fat. therefore, cardio is a must. but it sounds like you''ve already incorporated that into your workout
5.gif
Ditto Jcrow, that is what I have always heard as well, so try keeping the cardio going, that should soon shift it!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh! I feel your pain. Not matter my weight I always have some amount of a lower belly pooch. The best method I''ve found for shrinking the pooch is cardio and leg lifts (lie flat on your back with your legs straight out on the ground, lift your legs, and lower them slowly to about 2" off the ground and repeat).

In the meantime, have you tried Spanx to help with the dress issue?

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Try doing things like planks, which work the transverse abdominus. They can help tighten the muscles underneath.

However, often the issue is also a layer of fat over top of the abs. That can't be helped by ab exercises, as you cannot spot reduce. The only solution is to lean out, via diet, moderate cardio and lifting (full-body).

It could also be a posture issue, to an extent. Especially if you have tight hips. If you stand in the mirror and look sideways, does it appear as though you're sort of... jutting in your lower back and jutting out your stomach? Sometimes things like pigeon pose in yoga (to loosen the hips), as well as strengthening the entire core (abs AND back) can help that.

But ultimately, diet is really, really key for abs IMO/IME. Things like processed foods, white flour, white sugar and (sadly) too much booze are ab definition killers.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the speedy responses!

AprilCait, I tried on the dress with Spanx, but there''s still some pooch action!

AbsolutBlonde, I think posture may be an issue. Even when I try to stand up straight, I''ve noticed I''ve got kind of an "S" look (belly out, lower back in, upper back kind of curved). Wacky! I will look into yoga.

Thanks everyone - I guess it just takes some time to shift the fat!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 11:23:34 AM
Author: Krissie

AprilCait, I tried on the dress with Spanx, but there''s still some pooch action!

AbsolutBlonde, I think posture may be an issue. Even when I try to stand up straight, I''ve noticed I''ve got kind of an ''S'' look (belly out, lower back in, upper back kind of curved). Wacky! I will look into yoga.

How frustrating!
7.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 11:28:31 AM
Author: aprilcait

Date: 8/6/2008 11:23:34 AM
Author: Krissie

AbsolutBlonde, I think posture may be an issue. Even when I try to stand up straight, I''ve noticed I''ve got kind of an ''S'' look (belly out, lower back in, upper back kind of curved). Wacky! I will look into yoga.

How frustrating!
7.gif
I know - although it''s a good incentive to keep working out. If Spanx solved everything, I''d probably be eating a calzone right now
5.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
yep, I also read that ab exercises don''t get rid of the fat. maybe increase to 3 sessions of cardio per week?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
The good news is that, generally speaking, where you put weight on most recently should be where you lose it first.

And I also echo that you can''t do stomach exercises/spot reduction to reduce fat in one area. You have to burn more calories than you consume, and if you do that, then your body will get rid of fat somewhere on your body. Unfortunately you can''t dictate where.

Keep plugging away!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
cardio, cardio, cardio. Also when you do strength training alternate with a few min of cardio between sets, this will keep your heart rate up. Also watch what you are eating and try to make healthy choices. And measure your pooch so you can see your progress. I''ve had this problem too and started seeing a personal trainer back in February, and started walking a lot and doing a walk/jog routine in the evenings at it really helped.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I second all the things the other posters have said but with cardio I would look at doing High Intensity Interval Training. Google it but basically it is short 30 -60 second bursts of high intensity followed by low for 60 -120 minutes. You do if for about 20 minutes and it burns fat WAY after you have finished and is much more efficient than the long cardio,
As I said google there are tons of articles and research papers on this.
Also I have always carried weight on my tummy even when I was a size 2. I am turning 50 this year and really ramped up the exercise and weight training and lost about 4 kilos to get to a size 8 again.
The I developed some food allergies and went to a natropath who advised me to give up dairy and wheat products.
Well boy did I drop the weight!!
I have now lost another 5 kilos in 3 months but have almost lost my belly!
Clearly these foods affected me and my stomach is now longer and issue for me.
It might be worthwhile stopping wheat and dairy for a few months pre wedding and see it that helps
1.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Don''t eat anything with white flour or sugar and keep the carbs low. Up your protein intake so you can build muscle. It should be gone in a couple of weeks if you are super rigid with what you eat.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Krissie is lucky, if you can call it that, in that her "pooch" has been a recent acquisition, so she should be able to lose it if she loses weight in general.

Katebar, that''s so interesting about how your dietary changes have made a difference!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
The best thing I have found for my belly is Pilates + cardio--I had the flattest stomach of my life when I was doing mat Pilates 4-5 times a week.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 9:03:39 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Sadly, my ''pooch'' is a family trait. Woo.

No matter how thin I ever was (even at 108) I always have had it. I hate it, but only surgery would remove it. Its yicky.
me too! Runs in my family and have had it for a long, long time, although got worse after my son was born. I do recall a picture of me at age 12 probably looking pregnant so I guess it does go way back!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 12:52:44 AM
Author: ladypirate
The best thing I have found for my belly is Pilates + cardio--I had the flattest stomach of my life when I was doing mat Pilates 4-5 times a week.

A combination of the South Beach type of diet (no white flour or sugar, lean proteins and veggies), cardio, pilates & an iron will of determination did the trick for me.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Diet and cardio are def important! But I have 2 more words for you... AB WHEEL! Get one and get it now. I was a swimsuit model for 5 years and I promise you this is how I did it! Even my FI who made fun of me for only doing 25 of them the other day was sore the next day after only 8. I SWEAR by this! (Mine only has one wheel but here is one I found to show you Ab Wheel)

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Cardio is key, and it is good that you are doing weight and resistance work. Try adding some stability ball work outs for increased toning, and then you have to address diet.

Ditto whoever said alcohol can give you a pooch. If you eat a vegetarian/vegan diet, you will lose all kinds of weight quickly. Try the book "Eat to Live", you can find it on amazon, I got my copy at a local borders store. Also, go easy on the carbs. The latest thing that I heard was that fat doesn''t make you fat, SUGAR makes you fat! Alcohol and carbs (non-natural carbs, that is) are converted to sugar.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion (you might not like it) is freestanding squats, with the heaviest weights you can do safely, on a bar across your shoulders. These really tighten up your tummy, much better than crunches. If you go to a gym, ask them how. The king of all exercises!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 6:47:08 PM
Author: CrookedRock
Diet and cardio are def important! But I have 2 more words for you... AB WHEEL! Get one and get it now. I was a swimsuit model for 5 years and I promise you this is how I did it! Even my FI who made fun of me for only doing 25 of them the other day was sore the next day after only 8. I SWEAR by this! (Mine only has one wheel but here is one I found to show you Ab Wheel)
Can you give us more flat tum tips pleeeeze CR??
3.gif
3.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
HAha!I guess I sparked some interest! I really really swear by this thing! HERE is a video I found that shows you exactly how to use it. When I first started it was bc I had taken up kickboxing and I was being trained in a boxing gym, boxers use this wheel a lot. At that time I couldn't even roll half way out on it, so what they had me do was set up so that when I rolled out about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way I would hit a wall. I could either stay against the wall using my muscles to hold me up or use the wall leverage to roll back. (That will make sense if you watch the video) I would post ab pics to prove it... but that kinda strange. Let's put this way... I'd bet my ring on it that the wheel works! Yup that confident!
6.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 3:46:20 PM
Author: CrookedRock
HAha!I guess I sparked some interest! I really really swear by this thing! HERE is a video I found that shows you exactly how to use it. When I first started it was bc I had taken up kickboxing and I was being trained in a boxing gym, boxers use this wheel a lot. At that time I couldn''t even roll half way out on it, so what they had me do was set up so that when I rolled out about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way I would hit a wall. I could either stay against the wall using my muscles to hold me up or use the wall leverage to roll back. (That will make sense if you watch the video) I would post ab pics to prove it... but that kinda strange. Let''s put this way... I''d bet my ring on it that the wheel works! Yup that confident!
6.gif
Crikey....I must take a good look at this wheel contraption....

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
CrookedRock, I totally believe the ab wheel works to create awesome looking ab muscles but, ahem, don''t you need to lose the belly fat before the awesome ab muscles are visible? I''m not sure those two processes must go hand in hand.

BTW, I understand if you''d feel weird but I''m sure we''d all ooh and aah if we got to see your abs!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Oh like I said, diet and cardio are important, But they don''t have to be as hard as people make them out to be. I think so many times people just set themselves up for failure. A few things that work for me are no carbs at night, and no alcohol Monday - Thursday. I would always make exceptions though, like if I was out with friends during the week I would have a few a drinks... depriving yourself of something only makes it worse!
And the Cardio doesn''t have to be that hard. You don''t have to be able to run 5 miles or even 2. It''s actually better for you to do a series of run walk sprint for your cardio, and it doesn''t have to be 7 days a week. Start with 3, then try for 5, but be happy with 4.

I''ll try to muster up the courage to post a pic for ya Phoenixgirl... How about I''ll show you mine if you show me yours! LOL
2.gif

SDL~ I''m tellin'' ya! It works. And they are only about $10 I use to find them at Play it Again Sports... don''t know if you have those out there or not.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good info CR, thank you!!
35.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Yeaaahh!! I am so excited. Please keep me posted on what you think. I have to warn u though... If you can 15 the first time you try you are either not doing it properly or don''t need it! LOL

When you start to get more comfortable with it start rolling to the left or right to really target your love handles, those are my big problem... Ugh!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also heard what jcrow said, crunches work under that layer of poochiness. I think you have to be pretty strictly low fat to make that pooch go away.

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
Fat has to go somewhere, right? A lot of us don''t gain weight evenly and do have trouble spots. I really believe that if you focus on overall weight loss and toning, some of the belly will come off, but it still might be your trouble spot.

Did you try to improve your posture? I find that when you stand straight it makes you look longer and leaner, but it also forces you hold your tummy in a bit.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Try this. You would be amazed at how much difference diet makes in bloatedness and belly fat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results