shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty slurges - what''s worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
When I was getting ready this morning, I started noticing that most of the beauty products on my bathroom sink are items that I''ve only started using within the past year. Most of the purchases were driven by my upcoming wedding and my desire to have really healthy hair and skin - and, with that goal, I''ve been spending a bit more than I have on beauty products in the past!

Some of the purchases are totally worth it though - so I thought it would be fun to see what others have "splurged" on, cosmetics wise, and what you''d never part with!

I''ll start:

Fresh Mamaku night serum -- this stuff is 100% incredible. I got it as a free sample at Sephora, and instantly could tell a difference in my skin. I nearly choked when I saw the price when I went to purchase a full-sized bottle ($85), but it''s absolutely ABSOLUTELY worth it. Just a small, pea-sized amount at night is enough to keep my skin looking really fresh and polished in the mornings.

Prive reparative shampoo and conditioner -- a new hairdresser turned me on to this in January when I told him I wanted my hair to be in really great condition for the wedding. It''s super moisturizing without weighing my hair down, and it''s got a lovely mild, cucumber-type scent. I love Prive''s hair products! I think I paid about $50 for the combiination.

Bulgari green tea-scented shower gel -- I first tried this as a hotel sample in Italy, and fell in love. It''s too spendy for me to use every day, but I use it before going out or when I really want to feel pampered. It lathers up really well, and the scent is just divine in a super hot shower!

Bliss Vanilla & Bergamot body butter -- this was my first real splurge when I started working a few years ago (I think it''s about $35 a tube). I have not found a body butter that moisturizes so well, and I just love the scent. I really enjoy putting this on at nighttime, as I find the vanilla scent calming for sleep! I am a total Bliss fan, but this is by far my favorite product of theirs!

Ok, that''s it for my beauty splurges (doesn''t look like quite so much when typed out, does it?) I''m still looking for a great lip balm if anyone has recommendations! I don''t like the waxy stuff and Kiehls doesn''t work for me, although I know it''s a popular pick!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, that''s it for my beauty splurges (doesn''t look like quite so much when typed out, does it?) I''m still looking for a great lip balm if anyone has recommendations! I don''t like the waxy stuff and Kiehls doesn''t work for me, although I know it''s a popular pick!
DiamondFan got me into Laura Mercier lipbalm, this stuff is great! It isn''t at all waxy, it is very comfortable to wear, and gives lips a pretty sheen, excellent product!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 1:57:18 PM
Author:Krissie
I''m still looking for a great lip balm if anyone has recommendations! I don''t like the waxy stuff and Kiehls doesn''t work for me, although I know it''s a popular pick!
It''s not a balm but I love Mary kay''s satin lips. It''s the only Mary Kay product I buy. It gently exfoliates the skin on your lips so they always look plump and soft!

My pick? Fresh Sugar Lip Balm with SPF

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the Origins (Andrew Weil) "Way of the Bath" exfoliating scrub.

Dr. Hauschka makes a lovely rose body milk. LIttle goes a long way.

La Mer face cream is quite nice.

Anything in the YSL skin care or make-up line. Costly, but their mascara is my fav (and I''ve tried ''em all
9.gif
).

cheers--Sharon

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
These aren''t really huge splurges, but definitely not drugstore:

Blinc Kiss Me Mascara

Osis spray wax (hair)

Bare Escentuals Lip Plumper gloss (I wore Candy on my wedding day - love that color)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss Vanilla & Bergamot body butter -- this was my first real splurge when I started working a few years ago (I think it''s about $35 a tube). I have not found a body butter that moisturizes so well, and I just love the scent. I really enjoy putting this on at nighttime, as I find the vanilla scent calming for sleep! I am a total Bliss fan, but this is by far my favorite product of theirs!
Bliss is one of my favorites, too. The Lemon + Sage body butter is sooo yummy and the Foot Patrol has great exfoliators that keep my legs soft.

I splurge on nearly every beauty product except Cetaphil, which is only $10 at the drug store. Chanel eye shadows, Vincent Longo lip sticks, Philosophy 3-in-1s, and MAC makeup brushes are my staples.

As far as face creams, I use almost exclusively Clinique, which isn''t very expensive, but doesn''t have a strong scent, so my husband doesn''t mind them. I tried a few Chanel mask samples and he complained, so I''m limited to fragrance free stuff.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I've used La Mer for the past 8 years or so. My skin loves it, and it lasts forever.

Clarins cleansing milk is so gentle-love it!

I love Chanel eyeshadows. The amount of pigment is just right.

Kiehl's lip balm--though at 7.99 it's not much of a splurge! Just good stuff.

These are my staples.

I use a hodge podge of splurgy stuff and drugstore stuff. I love my supah-cheap products too!

Krissie, Kiehl's doesn't work for you? Do you ever try plain old vaseline? I sleep with a thin layer of vaseline on my lips and it helps.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, lip balms. I forgot about those. My favorite are the Prada Shielding balms. The are tiny little tubes that come 8 to a pack for $36. The clear shade is the best, but that one was discontinued. . .
7.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t do much beauty wise, mostly from the drug store, but my "splurges" are Dior mascara and Chanel eye shadow. I have yet to find a black eye shadow that goes on as smoothly as it.

I haven''t seen any eye make up remover listed here. Does anyone have one that''s really worth it?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen any eye make up remover listed here. Does anyone have one that''s really worth it?
I LOVE Lancome Bi-facil. It works very well for waterproof mascara, but it''s greasy so I first remove my eye makeup then clean my face and eyes with cetaphil. It''s $26 for a bottle, but I''ve found I can get the gift-the-purchase sizes on eBay for a fraction of that cost. I usually buy a group of them selling as a lot.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Some of the Jan Marini products are totally worth it in my opinion.
Her Age Intervention Eyelash Conditioner totally rocks and i know there has been some controversy over it but after a year of using I have trim my eyelashes seriously.
I also have just got her Age Intervention Regeneration Booster which is quite expensive (got it cheaper from an ebay seller) but you only use it 2 x year for 6 weeks so its like a spring clean. Already I have noticed a difference and I have quite good skin and only use tinted moisturizer but it looks ''glowier'' and some people in a week have commented on my skin so I''m a convert
1.gif

For makeup I use Chanel Bobbie Brown Laura Mercier but usually get it off Strawberrynet where its much cheaper.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! I will have to try the Laura Mercier - I have heard good things about it. Actually, I did own some of the Fresh Sugar lip balm - but my clumsy fi accidentally knocked into the toilet right after I bought it!! I will have to give that a go again, too
28.gif

I am really interested in hearing more about this eyelash conditioner ... is it really supposed to lengthen your lashes??

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 4:54:31 PM
Author: coatimundi
I''ve used La Mer for the past 8 years or so. My skin loves it, and it lasts forever.

Clarins cleansing milk is so gentle-love it!

I love Chanel eyeshadows. The amount of pigment is just right.

Kiehl''s lip balm--though at 7.99 it''s not much of a splurge! Just good stuff.

These are my staples.

I use a hodge podge of splurgy stuff and drugstore stuff. I love my supah-cheap products too!

Krissie, Kiehl''s doesn''t work for you? Do you ever try plain old vaseline? I sleep with a thin layer of vaseline on my lips and it helps.
It just felt waxy and kind of sat on my lips rather than being absorbed. I don''t know whether it''s supposed to do that, but I didn''t seem to get any noticeable benefits from it!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 1:07:57 PM
Author: Krissie
Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! I will have to try the Laura Mercier - I have heard good things about it. Actually, I did own some of the Fresh Sugar lip balm - but my clumsy fi accidentally knocked into the toilet right after I bought it!! I will have to give that a go again, too
28.gif

I am really interested in hearing more about this eyelash conditioner ... is it really supposed to lengthen your lashes??
Yes it really does honest! I had sparse but ok length eyelashes before using. Now I have to trim them seriously. They are slightly thicker but way longer. I have been using this for a year or Revitlash (similar prodcut.) Its expensive but i get it off ebay and its last forever. I rarely use mascara now and have my lashes tinted so hey I''m saving money right?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My skin has vastly impoved over the last 3 years mostly because of the following products:

Omega 3 fatty acids: These are capsules, usually filled with fish oil. I take them for my knees, but they also make my hair shiny and a LOT less oily. It is also the best product I have found for my skin and I have taken everything, even accutane.

Colorescience Sunforgettable: This is the best sunscreen ever. It is expensive but my little brush has lasted for 3 years. My grandma died very young from skin cancer so I have to be very careful and I never get burned with this stuff. Since it is a mineral powder it doesn''t cause me to break out and it goes on over make-up so I can reapply really easily.

Aveda white tea products: Sun damage causes 90% of sun aging (according to the CDC) and a few studies find white tea creams reverse damage when applied right after the damage happens. Plus, the stuff smells great.

White tea: I also drink it. Recently, celestial seasons came out with a peach flavor so now I drink that, but before only the really expensive brands offer it so it was a spluge, especially with how much I drink. It does give me a porcelein complection though, so it was worth the money even when it was expensive.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 6:57:29 PM
Author: katebar
Some of the Jan Marini products are totally worth it in my opinion.
Her Age Intervention Eyelash Conditioner totally rocks and i know there has been some controversy over it but after a year of using I have trim my eyelashes seriously.
I also have just got her Age Intervention Regeneration Booster which is quite expensive (got it cheaper from an ebay seller) but you only use it 2 x year for 6 weeks so its like a spring clean. Already I have noticed a difference and I have quite good skin and only use tinted moisturizer but it looks ''glowier'' and some people in a week have commented on my skin so I''m a convert
1.gif

For makeup I use Chanel Bobbie Brown Laura Mercier but usually get it off Strawberrynet where its much cheaper.
The eyelash conditioner sounds intriguing. What is the controversy you''re speaking of? I would love something to lenthen my lashes.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Katebar, I just bought revitalash. I lost a bunch of eyelashes for no apparent reason. I have used it less than two weeks and can see a difference. The girl who does my eyebrows also noticed. The stuff works. Do you use it forever?

The Marini stuff I thought was pulled and then reissued. Not sure why though.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 1:09:06 PM
Author: Krissie

Date: 4/8/2008 4:54:31 PM
Author: coatimundi

Kiehl''s lip balm--though at 7.99 it''s not much of a splurge! Just good stuff.

Krissie, Kiehl''s doesn''t work for you? Do you ever try plain old vaseline? I sleep with a thin layer of vaseline on my lips and it helps.
It just felt waxy and kind of sat on my lips rather than being absorbed. I don''t know whether it''s supposed to do that, but I didn''t seem to get any noticeable benefits from it!
Krissie, if you still have the Kiehl''s lip balm, did you try leaving it on overnight? That works the best for me. I agree on how for day wear it looks like an oil slide if there ever was such a thing, but I leave mine on right before I go to bed and I when I wake up my lips are super soft and plumped up so much it almost looks like I''m pouting.

One lip product that I swear by is the Elizabeth Arden 8-hour cream lip protectant. It has a hint of color that''s enough to stand alone, with the texture of a balm/gloss. It is my absolute dream product! It''s essentially a very good colored balm in lipstick form. Unfortunately they decided to discontinue these, but if you can find them, I pray you to give them a try!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the Revitalash - I used it and developed a red rash near my lash line and my eye lids "ached". I know, sounds odd!
I stopped using it and then tried again about 4 weeks later. Again, the same thing. I researched it to death and thought I would have no problems, I don''t have sensitive skin and skin products rarely bothered me.

I''m happy for those of you who are having great results from it - wish I could have!!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2008 6:59:56 PM
Author: diamondfan
Katebar, I just bought revitalash. I lost a bunch of eyelashes for no apparent reason. I have used it less than two weeks and can see a difference. The girl who does my eyebrows also noticed. The stuff works. Do you use it forever?

The Marini stuff I thought was pulled and then reissued. Not sure why though.
Yes DF forever I believe. I use revitalash now and it works fine. Here's a tip" Alternate which eye you put it on first or you'll end up with one eye having really really long lashes and the other not so long lol

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27952&highlight=jan+marini+eyelash

Here is a link to the so called controversy. I checked with my ophthalmologist and he didnt think it was a big deal. I have had absolutely know problems but onvacation I know others who have reported similar issues. * shrugs* I guess like everything some of us are sensitive to some things.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I also love my Clairsonic skin brush
30.gif
30.gif
. This really gets your skin so clean and allows the products to sink in so much better.
My skin has never looked so good and its fun to use.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I too cannot say enough great things about the clarisonic skin brush!!! I love it! I don''t feel like I am fully showered if I don''t do it. I use it with Purity from Philosophy, and it''s fantastic! My skin is smoother and clearer than ever!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I redip the brush so each gets the same amount. But good tip, I will try it!

I have a clairsonic too and like it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, I bought loads of it. I love it too, it soaked right in, stayed fresh and was so portable. I have not seen the line around at all recently.

I love Cle de Peau''s new lipstick and their glosses. Really gorgeous shades.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
DF you only need a tiny smidge. In fact you are supposed to wipe the brush on the tube then apply. That why it last so long and stops the burning if you have had that.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2008 9:48:39 PM
Author: diamondfan
MC, I bought loads of it. I love it too, it soaked right in, stayed fresh and was so portable. I have not seen the line around at all recently.

I love Cle de Peau's new lipstick and their glosses. Really gorgeous shades.
HI:

I have always wanted to try their make-up; have read many good things about their foundations. Can't get it locally....

cheers--Sharon

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The relatively cheap $12 MAC eyelash curler. None of the other ones I''ve ever bought have worked nearly as well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 10:48:09 AM
Author: FrekeChild
The relatively cheap $12 MAC eyelash curler. None of the other ones I''ve ever bought have worked nearly as well.
The MAC curler is only $12? I will have to try that. Right now I''m on my 3rd shu curler and it seems to do the trick, but I like to replace it every six months. It''s always fun to try something new and different.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not do that, thanks for the tip. It does not burn me at all, which is great.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, can''t you just replace the pads?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results