shape
carat
color
clarity

Beautiful Stone, But Too Light?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I went on Jerry Newman''s website, http://www.gemartservices.com/ and was stunned to see this stone.

Isn''t it amazing?
30.gif
I totally HATE the sold stamp! Did any PSer''s get it? It''s amazing! He said it was an 11 mm Barion cut Nigerian tourmaline. I told him I had to have one just like it. This was Thursday.

On Saturday, he sent me pictures of two bags of rough, so we could discuss which rough to cut. Like I would know? I just sent him a long detailed email about what I liked and didn''t like about the one on the site. But he''s the expert, and I just enjoyed learning a little something about rough, and yields, and C-axis, etc.

tourmbarionbow.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I can''t figure out how to upload more than one pic, so continuing on next "page"

I''ve attached a picture of the rough, which he said was a bad pic in the sunset. Nevertheless, we ended up choosing the one at 11 o''clock. I was totally impressed at his communication level and his speed to respond. By Sunday, he said the stones (he decided to try cutting two of them to get what I was looking for) were on the dop.

(I going step by step, it might be interesting to a couple of PSer''s, anyway)

On Wednesday he sent me an email and said he wasn''t happy with the stone. He said the color was way too dark for what I wanted. He sent pics, but I couldn''t tell anything about the color from them, he just said he wasn''t happy. The cutting look excellent. He asked if I minded if he heated the tourmaline. I said I have no problem with heating (I really don''t, IMHO it''s fine for all stones) and go for it. I am really enjoying being part of the process, working with him on this. Well, watching him work, anyway.
26.gif

So this morning . . .

pinkrough00321.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Still continuing . . .

He emails me this morning, and he''s still not happy. He says it''s too light. Remember, all this is within a week of contacting him.

I''ve attached a pic. I think it''s a stunner
36.gif
but not as dark as I wanted. His price on this beauty was only $300.

I email him when I''m back at my desk in the afternoon, and he writes that he''s already half way through the next stone, trying again! He said he''s going to place the stone with his local jeweler, and he should have the other stone tomorrow.

Is it just me, or is this guy really remarkable? I''m a fan. . .

tourmpink3210.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Last pic.

I guess my point is, that if anyone is looking for this type of stone, Jerry has one. He describes it as a pink with orangey flashes.

And I guess my other point is (as another PSer noted) he is quick like a bunny! He really is even more picky than I am. Which says a lot.

I just love the cut so much, I think I'll take tomorrow's stone even if it comes out green
21.gif

tourmpink432.jpg

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Wow he sounds great!

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
PS ate my first post but I''ll try again:

Love the story (and what great communication!). He sounds like a great guy to work with -- will definitely add him to my list. I wish the site was a little easier to navigate, though. It''s giving this creaky old version of IE fits.

Good luck with the next stone!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 6:54:31 PM
Author: Liane
PS ate my first post but I''ll try again:

Love the story (and what great communication!). He sounds like a great guy to work with -- will definitely add him to my list. I wish the site was a little easier to navigate, though. It''s giving this creaky old version of IE fits.

Good luck with the next stone!

It''s probably the music on his home page, that''s usually the problem. Here''s an alternate: http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html Not all of his the stones on his sale page are cut by him (obviously). Thanks, got my fingers crossed!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks for sharing. Indeed, he seems like a really nice guy to work with! I do like the cut too!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jerry seems to facet some amazing designs, from what I’ve been seeing posted on PS.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jerry is a great facetor . We went through in detail how I wanted my Afghan rough faceted, and he did an amazing job. I love the high crown and depth on it which enhances the saturation of color. The polish, facet meets, and proportion are perfectly executed, and I highly recommend him. Oh yes, and he cut my stone very quickly, within the week he received it from me. I'm unsure of the quality of his rough, but I think the stone above is appealing for someone wanting a feminine light pink-orange color. The cutting is amazing on that stone above. How large is it?

ETA: I love how he facets crowns, and makes smaller tables. This really helps with low RI stones like tourmalines, aqua, and the like.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TL: The light pink is 8.25 mm and 2.96 ct. The dark pink stone on the OP is 11 x 11 mm. I looked at his site because of your thread!

If I didn''t strongly dislike pale pink stones, I would have taken it . . .

Got my fingers crossed that the next one turns out a little darker.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I do like the color of original sold stone you posted. Jerry Newman saved the day with my demantoid garnet. I am so glad he was recommended to all PSers. Many of the cutters who post on here only want to cut their own stones.

I like the light pink too, but prefer a more saturated stone. I hope you get something you love.

Maybe someone should ask him about christoberyl (sp) rough as so many people on here are looking for those stones.

I think his wife is a cutter as well.

Thanks,

Annette

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I''d never seen this website before and I really like what I see. I am especially into what he can do with bicolor stones/color zoning.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i find it refreshing that a stone shows up LIGHTER than the picture!

mz

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yeah,
36.gif
I think this one will work! I can't tell much from the photo, but I can tell it's darker than the last stone which is the important thing.

Got this pic around noon today and it's on it's way to me! Actually I got three pics, which was very helpful.

I will post real life pictures when I get the stone.

It's big, a whopping 10.7 mm square and 6.45 carats. I think I'm going to have to set it in a lightweight setting, LOL!

htdlargetourm22.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He does recuts too, so if you have some native cut you absolutely can't stand, it's worth it to ask for a quote.

Looking forward to your pics iLander. it looks to be a sparkler, and it's huge!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very pretty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results