shape
carat
color
clarity

beading v. pave for band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
just wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between these two types of settings for a wedding band. any up close pictures showing the difference would be great!! are either one supposed to be more sparkly? and when getting either pave or beading is it necessary/possible to inquire about the quality of the diamonds used even when they are so tiny?

thanks!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Good question! I''m glad you asked this--I''d like to know too!

I know they can be similar.....the Leon Mege ring that Reena has is, I think, actually bead-set rather than pave, and I can *kinda* see the difference, but I''m pretty unclear.

Anyone?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
yes anyone what is the difference--ive been using the words interchangeably...............

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Interesting question. I always though bead-set and pave were the same thing.
33.gif

DiamondLil

skimmy

Rough_Rock
one jeweler told me that beading refers to the tiny "dots" (not diamonds) that are placed in the open spaces in between the diamonds - almost as fillers.

pave is literally just the diamonds...with no millgrain or beading.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can pave a surface with diamonds. This means filling in the metal area with virtually touching stones. In French one would say pave'' .

Bead set uses little bits of metal raised up by a sharp tool and then rounded off, beaded, to hold in the diamonds. Hammer set or Gypsy set, means the stones have been burnished, folded into an smooth metal edge, with no bead work or bright cutting present. In some sense, invisibly set diamonds are also pave'' as they completely cover the what would otherwise be a metallic surface.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
thanks for the explanations. is ther any opinions on which is considered better - ie. more sparkly, more durable, or any other differences? also any pictures of either would be great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results