shape
carat
color
clarity

Be treated gemstones : what about other group 2 elements?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
My chemistry is rusty but since there exists Be treated gemstones, I am wondering if people tried to treat stones with Magnesium or Calcium.
Usually same group elements have similar behavioural properties.
The main difference is the number of shells of electrons.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, I know a lot of people that could answer that question, but they don''t post on PS, or at least I haven''t seen them do so. Maybe that question will make one of them pop up here!!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, most of us here are only consumers and collectors. This question is geared more towards the scientific types; I hope one of them pops in here too.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 11:20:03 PM
Author:haagen_dazs
My chemistry is rusty but since there exists Be treated gemstones, I am wondering if people tried to treat stones with Magnesium or Calcium.
Usually same group elements have similar behavioural properties.
The main difference is the number of shells of electrons.
Gem treatments tend to be closely guarded secrets, since there is a lot of money to made if you discover a treatment that can create a market for previously unsaleable material. Think of the case of the milky-colored geuda sapphire from Sri Lanka, that was used mainly as gravel until the Thai burners discovered the recipe for turning it into clear blue sapphire.

The center for gem treatments in Thailand is in Chanthaburi, but you will rarely have a chance to enter any of these gem labs or get any useful information from the people who treat gems there. But if you drive around town you''ll see some impressive mansions of the people who''ve made a fortune treating sapphire and ruby.

Your best hope to get detailed information on gemstone treatments is from a fellow named Ted Themelis in Bangkok. He has a company called Gemlab that offers courses on gem treatments. He has also written a well-known book on the heat treatment of ruby and sapphire, with a new edition to be released next year. He also sells equipment for treating gems. He is probably the world''s authority on heat and diffusion treatments. Just keep in mind that this information is his business.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC,
Thank you for that information. I think I will go search for his book. Sounds like a great addition to my gem library.

I am glad you're an active poster on PS, you do provide valuable information.

ChemGeek

Rough_Rock
I''m a sciency-geeky type, but I don''t know too much about this type of chemistry. But, my best guess would be that Be is used th most because it brings out the desired color the best. I know that each of the group 2 elements create or bring out different colors (this is super fun to do if you have a bunson burner and some jars of chemicals around! Yes, I''ve done it, Copper is my favorite to light up, love the color!)
This makes me super curious though, I spent some time last night trying to find information about this, but haven''t turned up anything useful. Hmm if only I had access to a super intense heat source, and some untreated gems, I could play around here at work and let you all know my findings
31.gif
I''d love to see first-hand what happens! I''m such a dork! :)

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results