shape
carat
color
clarity

Basic advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gshanks

Rough_Rock
There seems to be an abundance of knowledgable, unbiased individuals dispensing advice here, so hopefully you can help me out on this.

The case:
Looking to spend around $3k total on stone, setting, wedding band
Don''t have $3K liquid to dump in, so I need a source that offers payment/financing plan
GF is very low maintenance, athletic-type who does not have refined tastes (or interest) in jewelry - looking for something subtle, not too much "bling"
Looking for princess or radiant cut stone
White gold
Cut is highest priority (per advice on this site)
Surprise proposal

Based on the above, what would you suggest I do/can expect regarding:
B&M vs. on-line?
best available stone size?
quality for price range?
any other thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Grant

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
For something simple and on a budget, my advice would be to have the stone set in a gold solitaire setting. Those usually run $100-300, depending on the style of band. It's not really necessary to purchase the wedding band with the engagement ring unless you are planning the wedding very soon. That way you can save up a little more and even get some of your girlfriend's input on exactly what she wants. I agree that getting a good cut is important but you have to decide on the color and clarity you want the diamond to be in. Great cut diamonds come in all colors and clarity. That's a huge range and which range you select will determine how big your diamond will be for around 2700 to 2900 dollars.

As far as financing goes, I'm not sure if any of the online vendors offer financing or not, you'll have to check it out on each site. You'll definately save money over a B & M. Just keep in mind that financing will add about 12-15% minimum to the final cost so your best bet may be to charge it on a credit card with a decent percentage rate and deal online.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile does financing and 90 days interest free.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Another option is getting a low interest credit card, though the Blue Nile alternative might work.

gshanks

Rough_Rock
Looks good. I''ve heard alot of good things about DCD and their website looks good too. I guess the only thing that keeps me from buying on-line is the payment. For instance, with Jared, I can pay 12 months same as cash with 20% down. That is an easy deal to manage.

Also, I like your idea of waiting on getting the bands. Just need to take care of business with the stone and the setting first...

I feel like I know enough and have printed off enough on-line specs and prices not to get too ripped off. So, let''s say I slide up into Jared this weekend - what can I expect?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Jarad has pretty good customer service and I think that they are better than the average mall jewelry store, but my cousin bought his now wife her wedding set there and it''s a nice set but the quality of the cut of the diamond is not that good in my opinion. The diamonds just don''t sparkle that much. You might want to get the Leo diamond since that is thier highest quality cut diamond. There is also a revieve of the Leo diamond here on pricescope. Hope this helps.

gshanks

Rough_Rock
I got this "quote" from Jared a few weeks ago:

.77 ct radiant cut
H color
SI-1 clarity
$2325.00

He didn''t make note of the cut on what he wrote down. I know that is an essential piece of info, among other things.

Nonetheless, how does that price strike you guys? I''ve seen better on line. For instance, from diamonds.com:

Radiant
F
VS1
GIA
Excellent
$2,296

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
The price is fine but once again it's about the cut! Also I don't know many on pricescope who have bought from diamonds.com

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Read as much as you can online about what makes a good cut in a radiant and princess. Then do a Pricescope search of diamonds that meet those specs. Print it all out and have it handy when you go into Jared. That way you can compare the specs and see if you are getting a good deal or not. In my experience businesses build the cost of "free" financing into the price of the merchandise. You may find that doing it that way will work well for you or you may find that adding in 15% onto the cost of a diamond you find online will come to about the same amount when charged on a low interest credit card. Good luck with your hunt!

gshanks

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 1:52:11 PM
Author: lmurden
The price is fine but once again it''s about the cut! Also I don''t know many on pricescope who have bought from diamonds.com
Ok, so what are some preferred on-line merchants?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
There is a vendor comparison under FAQ

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2005 1:28:30 PM
Author: gshanks
Looks good. I''ve heard alot of good things about DCD and their website looks good too. I guess the only thing that keeps me from buying on-line is the payment. For instance, with Jared, I can pay 12 months same as cash with 20% down. That is an easy deal to manage.

Also, I like your idea of waiting on getting the bands. Just need to take care of business with the stone and the setting first...

I feel like I know enough and have printed off enough on-line specs and prices not to get too ripped off. So, let''s say I slide up into Jared this weekend - what can I expect?
you can expect to more a Jared compare to e-venders here plus the last time i was there they only offer IGI certs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results