shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad Purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cabuyer

Rough_Rock
This site has been great -- thanks for everyone who''se posted. I can''t imagine buying without reading this forum (well, I can, you''d get taken for ride!)

After much research I took the plunge and bought a 1.7 ct diamond (set in platinum) from a prominent internet vendor. 13K for the rock. 1,600 for the setting (two side rocks)

AGS Cert Ideal cut 0, Ideal Polish, Symmetry and Proportions, Color 2.0 (H), Clarity 5 (SI1).
The cert comments say "additional clouds and surface graining are not shown"

From the top the diamond looks great. However, from the side, you can see a large cloud/inclusion in the middle if you hold the diamond up to the light (works with the monitor as well).

For grading I have read that for s1 you should have to find the inclusion under 10x then you can see it with the naked eye if you know where to look. However, I don''t have a loupe and found this issue easily. My eyesight is not that great either! This is VERY visible from every side between the prongs. The blemish is pretty much in the middle but slightly toward the culet. It is particularly noticible when viewed with a back light source. It is not visible from the top which does show the ''fire'' I expected. My questions for the helpful posters here are:

1) Is this really an S1 given that I can SEE the large cloud from the side? Could this be misgraded?
2) Although this is a farily large diamond, is this worth 13K with this signfiicant visible imperfection?
3) The ring looks great from every angle except a direct side view. Will others notice this? Should I chill out or be concerned that I have a bad deal?

STRESSED! and thankful for any guidance!!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Its graded face up not from the side. AGS usally never goofs. If you are not happy send it back and start all over. Maybe they sent you the wrong one ? I would have to see the diamond to make a call. Thats the bad part about buying sight unseen and not having an expert sit down and go over the diamonds with all the questions you might have. Is there somebody local you can take the diamond too and talk to about the grade ?

The Iceman

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure you aren''t seeing the girdle reflection?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to tell with out seeing it huh :) to bad you cant hold the ring up closer to the screen :)

Its a good question and it makes all of our brains turn trying to figure it out , without seeing the ring.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

cabuyer

Rough_Rock
Good to know that grading is top down! So does an imperfection visible from the side only reduce value?

I don''t think this will to bug me too much -- like most diamond inclusions - casual observers would never notice, I guess I''m more worried if I''m overpaying for something because I bought it sight unseen.

I don''t think it is the girdle reflection as it can be viwed from the side from all angles.

I have 30 days to return it -- so I will get it appraised. Any suggestions on a good independent appraiser in Los Angeles area would be appreciated.

Thanks for the quick replies!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Where does the AGS certification plot the inclusion?

cabuyer

Rough_Rock
Cut Rock --

This does indeed appear to be a girdle reflection -- I posted a reply before I knew what I was talking about -- at least I''m smart enough to post here :)

Thank you SO MUCH for the link to the pictures and thread.

Stress level going down now....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results