shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad experience with RL vendor....

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I just had a bad experience with a Ruby Lane vendor called Beacon Hills Jewelers. I bought an antique turquoise and diamond ring, and the posting said that the turquoise was free of any flaws. Well, I got it and found a crack on the back; immediately emailed them and said I was returning it and told them why. They said they did not believe it was cracked because their photos did not show it, and accused me of being a fradulent buyer!! Then said they would refund part of the money and let me keep the ring, and I said no. I was then told that they had sent the appraisal separately, and they would not refund my money until both the appraisal and ring had been returned. No where was that listed in their shop information. I had waited 2 weeks and had never received the appraisal, so opened a complaint with Ruby Lane to get my money back, which I finally did. I have yet to receive an appraisal; doubt that it was even sent out. They were very bad at answering both phone messages and emails, and I have never been treated so badly as a customer. We are talking a $2000 ring here, so not a small purchase for me, anyway!
I notice that the ring is still listed on RL with the turquoise "free of any flaws". I emailed Ruby Lane and told them this was a lie, but they did nothing. I am just glad I got my refund, but am afraid some other un-suspecting person will buy it and go through what I did. What a nightmare!!!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Wow, so sorry for you! That's terrible. I just got a ring that was described as mint, and there is a ton of wear/damage... Not sure if I'll do anything about it or not, as I hate a hassle. So glad you were able to get your money back after all.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing your experience, I am glad you got your money back. That vendor is definitely sketchy. Sending out the appraisal and ring separately to you so you can reunite them for returning, yeah right. I'm glad things worked out okay for you in the end.

stonecutter2

Rough_Rock
Is this the ring?

http://www.rubylane.com/item/726095-JWL152/British-Charm-its-Finest-Victorian

The photo of the back appears to not be cracked. Maybe this isn't the ring.

Or, is the photo doctored? Something seems odd in the centerish of it - like an X shape.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, it's so hard to be dealing with problems across the internet. I got something from a vendor on RL just yesterday (first purchase) and thus far things are okay...waiting on my item though!

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is the ring - you cannot see the crack in their photos, but it is there. There is a yellowish spot above the "x" and the crack is just above where the camera cuts off. And yes, there is an "x" on the back - they could not explain what that was.
I saw that someone bought it - they must have been OK with the crack. I admit it was not visible on the front of the stone, but I worried about that crack making the stone more unstable, etc. I hope they are happy with it - whoever purchased it!

stonecutter2

Rough_Rock
lindacat|1338484454|3206811 said:
Yes, that is the ring - you cannot see the crack in their photos, but it is there. There is a yellowish spot above the "x" and the crack is just above where the camera cuts off. And yes, there is an "x" on the back - they could not explain what that was.
I saw that someone bought it - they must have been OK with the crack. I admit it was not visible on the front of the stone, but I worried about that crack making the stone more unstable, etc. I hope they are happy with it - whoever purchased it!

It really is a beautiful ring, but very suspicious that they would let the photo clip *just* where the crack is - and go on to say how flawless it is.

I would have shared your concerns for stability, as well - especially if it's near the edge. It would be unclear how deep that crack went, and if you were to strike the ring on a surface by mistake...might end up cracking completely.

I think you did well to make sure you were satisfied, and it sounds as though they didn't treat you very well at all. Thanks for sharing your experience, it means a lot to me as I just made my first purchase at Ruby Lane, and was hoping to find out more about it (or people who sell on it).

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I have often considered some of the lovely things this vendor has for sale. Now I will know to keep looking! It is the way the vendor handles a problem that tells us most about what they are like to deal with. Glad you were able to return.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results