shape
carat
color
clarity

bad appraisal?

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
I posted about a week ago about a 2.1 carat OEC diamond ring that I purchased. I took it to a local jeweler and he told me it was likely K/L color and VVS2 clarity. I left it with him a few days later to do a formal appraisal. I just picked it up yesterday and he put the replacement value at 8900. It seems low for the stone and ring based on what I have seen online. I fear that if something were to happen to it 8900 would not cover replacement. Also, the appraisal was very general, 2.1 carat, color, clarity, setting, etc. but not other specs. Should there be more information? I paid $75 for an appraisal that wasnt accurate to being with(i.e. the setting is platinum, he put 18K white gold). The appraiser wasnt there when I went to pick up the ring and paperwork but I plan on swinging by this weekend to talk to him. Am I being reasonable to have these concerns?
The whole experience was strange and unnerving though. He apparently took the ring home(huh?) so when I went to pick it up at the scheduled time 1. the appraisal wasnt done 2. my ring wasnt there. I was told the ring would be put in the vault overnight when I dropped it off.
I could go on. Anyhow, how should this be handled if this value isnt accurate and how much more information should be on the appraisal?
Thanks for reading all of this!

stci

Ideal_Rock
I think:

1- The remplacement value is ridiculous

2- The indication about the 4c is normal if the diamond is on a setting + it's not a GIA evaluation

3- $75 is very expensive for this type of evaluation

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
If the person conducting the appraisal is a professional (i.e, they are a certified gemologist), I do not think $75 is too much to pay. I do, however, question the thoroughness of this appraiser if they do not have the metal type correct - it would make me question the rest of the assessment.

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

I think in this case I may have gotten what I paid for and I need to spend more for a more thorough appraisal. Lesson learned on my part.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results