shape
carat
color
clarity

Bacne or Back Acne. What clears it up?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DD seldom breaks out on her face, but it seems for the past few months she started getting acne on her back, primarily shoulders. I am sure it is from carrying her backpack. She is so frustrated and doesn't know what to use to clear it up. I've read that glycolic acid is what clears it up. Any suggestions?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL...sorry, I'm just laughing over "bacne"...that is so funny.

Well, I just had a bout of butt zits for my kid, and this is what I did..and it worked.

Bleach Bath.

About 1/2-1 cup of household bleach for a bath (40 gallons). Bath in it for 10 minutes. Completely dry. Apply antibac cream on zits (I had a prescription one for my daughter, but neosporin would work).

Couldn't hurt. It's cheap to do, and if it doesn't work, you'll have a cleaner bathtub anyway. You can google "bleach bath" and see if it would work for that type of acne.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1290104557|2771506 said:

Well, I just had a bout of butt zits for my kid, and this is what I did..and it worked.

Bleach Bath.

About 1/2-1 cup of household bleach for a bath (40 gallons). Bath in it for 10 minutes. Completely dry. Apply antibac cream on zits (I had a prescription one for my daughter, but neosporin would work).

Couldn't hurt. It's cheap to do, and if it doesn't work, you'll have a cleaner bathtub anyway. You can google "bleach bath" and see if it would work for that type of acne.

DD is 17 and she would think I am crazy. I would be concerned about the bleach and her "privates :-o "

soocool

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1290104557|2771506 said:

Bleach Bath.

OK Tgal, I googled it and it also came up with using seas salt baths. Hmm interesting!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
socool, I put my toddler daughter in a bleach bath, and her privates are still intact. The amount of bleach is nominal for a bath, but enough to kill bacteria. Once it's in the water, you can't even smell it.

You can tell her it will make her privates extra clean!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Neutrogena makes a product that I used as a teenager when I had the same issue...it's called Body Clear and is a scrub with salicylic acid.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
stephb0lt|1290106944|2771594 said:
Neutrogena makes a product that I used as a teenager when I had the same issue...it's called Body Clear and is a scrub with salicylic acid.

I showed this to DD and she said she was willing to try it. Did it dry your back out too much?

Another thing I found online is called Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion - (10% glycolic acid) made for normal to dry skin. I wonder is anyone on PS has ever used this.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1290105059|2771523 said:
socool, I put my toddler daughter in a bleach bath, and her privates are still intact. The amount of bleach is nominal for a bath, but enough to kill bacteria. Once it's in the water, you can't even smell it.

You can tell her it will make her privates extra clean!

Tgal, I guess it is no different than taking a dip in a chlorinated pool. I have to admit she did not have this over the summer when she would go swimming. It started in late Sept and she is becoming self conscious about it.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
soocool|1290116497|2771853 said:
stephb0lt|1290106944|2771594 said:

I showed this to DD and she said she was willing to try it. Did it dry your back out too much?

Another thing I found online is called Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion - (10% glycolic acid) made for normal to dry skin. I wonder is anyone on PS has ever used this.

I didn't find it too drying. Hope it helps, I remember how self conscious I was about my bacne.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My sister had bacne on her shoulders and upper back too. She eventually figured it was being caused or at least prolonged by her conditioner. I know she switched to something that rinsed cleaner and the bacne got much better. Can you think of anything that may be causing it? She could wash her body after she rinses her hair completely and see if it could be exacerbated by her hair products.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1290120800|2772018 said:
My sister had bacne on her shoulders and upper back too. She eventually figured it was being caused or at least prolonged by her conditioner. I know she switched to something that rinsed cleaner and the bacne got much better. Can you think of anything that may be causing it? She could wash her body after she rinses her hair completely and see if it could be exacerbated by her hair products.

She uses a really strong conditioner because her hair is so long as will tangle otherwise. I will make this suggestion to her. Thanks

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I would take her to a beautician for a treatment and if that doesn't work, then to a dermatologist.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I used to have the same problem when I played sports and wore sports bras often.

Conditioner and hair products can seriously clog pores, as can sports bras. Benzoyl peroxide, in a 2.5% to 5% concentration, can work really well to clear up acne, but it may bleach her clothes so I'd do it at night before bed. Besides that, eating fresh veggies and drinking lots of water also help clear acne.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
There is this expensive bar of soap called panoxyl sold in drugstores which is 10% benzoyl peroxide. Scrubbing with it works wonders on bacne.

ETA and the scrubbing should also be done after the hair is rinsed.

ChicRaccoon

Rough_Rock
I'm in my late twenties and I have had occasional minor episodes of bacne since I was 22 or so. I have found that wearing heavy sweaters, particularly those with unnatural fibers can make me flare up. So, I try not to wear heavy clothing for too long in the winter. Also, I have cut down on my use of hair conditioner which helps a lot. The body acne wash helps a bit when I've already broken out, but I work to avoid it. My favorite spot treatment involves clean extractions (if easily possible) after a hot shower, followed by holding a q-tip of hydrogen peroxide for 20-30 seconds on each spot. It dries it up quicker than anything else I have tried.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I occasionally get breakouts on my back, and I've actually found that using my Clarisonic with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (with salicylic acid) seems to stop them in their tracks. It's really amazing how well it works for me. I am not all that fond of the gymnastics required to properly clean my back with it, but it really helps.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. DD actually went out and bought Stridex pads (10% salicylic acid) and after about 5 days it has really cleared up, but she said last night she may use only every other day because her back is beginning to itch.

Kittybean, thanks for the Clarisonic suggestion because now I know what to get her for Christmas.

For all who mentioned it could be from her conditioner, you may be right as she is breaking out around her hairline as well and no where else on her face. Even though she has changed conditioners it is still happening and I told her to just use it from midlength to the ends instead of all over. I think she uses it on her scalp because she has been swimming a few times a week lately and the chlorine has been drying out her scalp. I would have thought that the chlorine would have helped with the bacne, but probably not if she showers and uses the conditioner afterwards.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results