shape
carat
color
clarity

Avg. mm thickness of a man''s wedding ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know? How thick is your DH''s ring?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 4 mm would be the mode.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband''s current ring is 5 or 6 mm. He''s 6''5" though, so he wanted a thicker band.

I refer to the ring as "current" because he''s lost two and found one...the original one he lost is now at the jeweler''s being repaired. They have all been 5-6 mm, though.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
My husband''s titanium wedding band is 6mm wide.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Good question. I''m wondering the same thing.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
My FH wears a 5mm band on his size 10 finger and it looks right to me. But it is a very simple white gold band with just a slight detail (pic below). I think that depending on how busy the ring is the mm might need to change.
HRE9-5-ST-Angle2WG%5B1%5D.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I think it mostly depends on the man''s overall size (height) and length/width of his fingers. For instance for my FI, who is 5''8, a 4mm band might look fine, or at the most 5. But, I am pretty sure anything over 5 would just look too big for him...have him go and try different sizes on. For the most part, avg size is prob 4-5 mm.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
When you ask about thickness, usually it refers to the depth...
Otherwise, you must be asking about width, because those are the answers you are getting.
A man''s band is generally 2mm to 2.5 mm thick, and can be any wearable width, from 3 to 10 mm.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My husband wears a 5mm platinum comfort fit band. He has not taken it off in 11 years and is very happy with it.

4mm looks nice on a man too.

I think 3mm looks too thin on a man but thats a matter of personal taste.

He choose his own band. Mine is a 3mm platinum comfort fit. He wanted our bands to match but 5mm was too thick for me since I had an engaement ring as well. But they are the same type of band.

He and I had our wedding bands engraved when we got married plus our wedding date.

I think engraving wedding bands is such a cool thing. I got the idea from my grandma who had hers and grandpa''s engraved.

pilgrim

Rough_Rock
I really have to think it depends on the size of the hand and fingers, and personal preference. I''d say give it a reasonable amount of consideration, then go with what you both like. There are some that are thinner or thicker, which makes a difference in how they look. Eg see bluenile.com

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
My husband''s ring is 6 mm wide, and he wears a size 11. I got it from Bluenile and it''s this one:

WB36500300_zoom.jpeg

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance is 6''0, has 8.5 size fingers. He was torn between a 5mm and 6mm band and went with 5mm platinum satin finish.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m in the process of getting my husband a new one.....he had a fancy wider band that had 3 diamonds in the middle. He is a knuckle cracker, so he has trouble with getting the ring over the knuckle, then once it makes it over the knuckle, its too loose. So, they put those beads, or nasty bumps, as DH likes to call it. He hates it.

In the 10 yrs his tastes have changed as well. He no longer wants one with diamonds, he feels its too girly ( his opinion only). So, he has choosen a Carbide ring??? anyone heard or seen those? its an almost blackish gray metal, and it has a line of platnium or white gold in the center.

Now, he has chosen a skinnier one than I would like for him.....not sure on the width, but I think its must be a 3 or 4 mm. I would like to see a 5 or 6 mm on him....he wear a size 12.5!!!
He is not a big guy, 5''10 180 lbs....but those darn knuckles!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Has he tried a comfort fit?? They go over the knuckle easier.

My brother started out with diamonds years ago and after 5 years changed to a plain band as wel.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
My husband started off with a 4mm white gold band, but several years ago I got him a 6mm 18k yellow gold band. I like the wider band much better and so does he. It looks much more solid and substantial. He is 6'' tall, and wears a size 10 ring.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
DH''s wband is 6mm on his size 9 finger and he is 5''8". Our friend wears a promise band that is ~3-4mm and his finger is larger than DH. They both look great. I am guessing that the common width is between the range of 3mm - 6mm. I personally don''t like anything wider than 6mm on DH, but a bigger guy can probably wear a wide ring.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
DH wears the 6mm Tiffany lucida band. He is 6''3", built and has a size 10.5 finger. He originally wanted a 7mm band but that size is so hard to find, and 8mm was too wide for him. But when he tried on the lucida, he was in heaven! he loves it.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I love the Tiffany Lucida band! It is one of out faves....

mara54

Shiny_Rock
DH wears a 6mm wide custom platium/gold ring. He is 6''1" and wears a size 10. He really likes his ring, but has noticed some scratches in it, so it needs to be buffed.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm i''m not sure how wide greg''s ring is...probably about 6mm or 7mm...he has a tension set titanium ring and it looks great on his hand. substantial but not too large.

peronally i also think that a simple wide platinum or titanium band for a man is super sexy!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2006 12:19:42 PM
Author: jetmal

... he has chosen a Carbide ring??? anyone heard or seen those? its an almost blackish gray metal.

Carbide...
34.gif

That is half the name (= the compound of carbon with any metal or metaloid) - I think only tungsten carbide is used in jewelry ( the 'tungsten' rings).

These are all very hard materials used for specialized tools. These 'carbide' stuff are the hardest synthetic materials except diamond (e.g. higher than sapphire). Cool for a wedding ring?
5.gif
Oh well.

All hard, heavy and dark gray.

IMO, if one material is pleasant to see and wear, this is all that it takes to have it made into jewelry. However, I suspect this view is somewhat 'progressive' so to speak.
20.gif
I am hopelessly drawn to nontraditional jewelry materials in general anyway.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
We got my future hubby a 5 mm tungsten carbide band and he LOVES it. He thinks it''s just the perfect width for him (he''s 5''9").

chol

Rough_Rock
When I got married, I was somewhat heavy, and thin bands seemed lost on me. I ended up with a 12mm band, which turned out to be comfortable and presented no problems. Years later, I lost significant weight. and my heavy 12mm band started to fall off. Rather than getting my band cut up for resizing, my wife bought me a thin (4mm) plain band to try to wear as a guard. I was heistant at first, but it worked. Both bands are perfectly plain and my fingers are relatively long. I have been wearing a total of 16mm (both bands stacked together) and have received a number of compliments. These are not in anyway uncomfortable. Hope this provides some perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results