shape
carat
color
clarity

Austin, TX Proposal

Should I propose on the boat or in the Garden?

• Boat with candles at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boat with NO candles at night.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Boat during the day

• In the Garden.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Titan35

Rough_Rock
I''m calling her parents this weekend, to ask for her hand in marriage. I would rather meet them in person, but they don''t live in the same city.

Now.....for the proposal plan, and the venue:

My girlfriend thinks that we''re going out of town to celebrate our anniversary, but little does she know that I''m actually going to propose. I want to ask her on the first day, so we can enjoy and relax the following two days.

I''m debating if I should propose at the hotel or on the boat at a nearby lake. I''m going to be rowing and in the same time say nice things to her to make her smile. I''m deciding whether I would do it during the day or at night. If during the day, I would bring an umbrella so it wouldn''t be too sunny for her. If at night, I want to somehow lit some candles (about 100) around the boat. I can''t decide if I should place some candles on top of the water (i need some sort of thing to allow the candle to float) or on top of the other row boats around. I don''t know yet if I can even do that. I will have to call the boat rental place to see. It may not be romantic to some, but you see.....I''ve first met her in a paddling club. It all started there, and I want to set a new beginning starting on a boat as well. If I can get the place to play "our love song" that would be even better....but don''t think they have that. I have to call and find out.

Then if it''s not on the boat, maybe in the room with 100 candles? (I don''t think the hotel will let me) Or maybe out in a garden which would be part of the hotel with a hundred candles? 100 candles represent 100 years of happiness and prosperity for the couple.

Should I do it on the boat? with or without candles? Or should I do the Garden and candle thing? Anyway I can tweak it up? or should I scratch out any bad ideas?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the garden so that you aren''t trying to row at the same time.

Either one would be beautiful. I''d avoid candles on the boats (since they are rented).

The garden would be beautiful with candles if they''ll allow it. Otherwise, sunset in the garden followed by a romantic dinner would be nice. (and would allow for a photographer if you wanted. The hotel could probably supply one.)

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Titan, are you going to try and row on Lake Austin/Lady Bird Johnson Lake ?
I''m trying to understand how you could have candles around you and be in the lake, wouldn''t they float off, dunno?

The hotel (which one?) might help you out with a proposal somewhere on their grounds. You''d have to set this up in advance ;-)

Any new plans?

Titan35

Rough_Rock
Yeah, scratch that idea of candles in the water. Was thinking of maybe lighting candles on vacant boats near the loading dock. But this will take place during the night time. My guess is that the place will be closed to the public for safety purpose. I''m sure they don''t want people to row in the dark.

I really want to keep this boat theme. But I also want to do something with candles. Perhaps the two ideas cannot be put together.

My alternative idea is to set up the candles out in a garden. (On a steady platform)

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Titan, if you are wanting to row on Town Lake (downtown Austin) I''m pretty sure you can''t get a kayak/canoe there after dusk.

Of the 2 hotels that are on the lake, the Four Seasons is the tops. Maybe they have an evening cruise for guests.

Also, there is a walking trail along side the lake that has a few benches along the way. I know there is a lovely bench next to the lake not too
far from the kayak rental place. You could walk that trail any time you wanted.

Titan35

Rough_Rock
Bebe, Do you know of any boating docks that can be accessed to the public anytime of the day?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/austin/access.phtml

this might have some info for you - dunno.

I think the problem you will run into will be most parks "officially" close at dusk. And from what I can see, most are boat launches, not docks. But check through the website above to confirm what is available on Town Lake (renamed Lady Bird)
Lake Travis is north - west of Austin and has some area restaurants that overlook the lake. The lake is waaay below normal, so every boat launch/dock cannot be used.

Titan35

Rough_Rock
Bebe, thanks for the info. I''m thinking something like a boardwalk that extends out to the lake or a river.

Here''s a picture of what i''m talking about:
http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/87540.jpg

or better yet, something like this:
http://www.floridastateparks.org/faver-dykes/images/FAD-FishingDock2-park.jpg

I think maybe I can set candles there! What do u think?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean. While there is water in and all around Austin, I don't know of any place that you could set up a bunch of candles. If you are staying at one of the hotels on the water (?) call them and ask for their help.

Lost Pines Hyatt outside of Austin in Bastrop is a gorgeous place, the river is on their property.

The Oasis restaurant overlooks Lake Travis (water level is very low due to draught) they might could help you.

Let me think some more....http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/295967-best-place-proposal.html

check out the above ideas.

Titan35

Rough_Rock
Bebe,

I saw the link that you have shared. I posted a comment on that site, let''s hope I get something.

Thanks,
Thierry

Titan35

Rough_Rock
Bebe - Hey thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was actually planning to row a canoe, but perhaps the duffy may be better.

Somebody had suggested this park:
Lake Pflugerville Park

It seems like a 30 minute drive from downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results