shape
carat
color
clarity

aussiegirl seeking help with fish eye

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone

35.gif

Hope you can help. I am in Australia and looking at buying a ring from the US (NY) over the internet. I have read up as much as i can from Pricescope and other websites, but do not trust my judgement when it comes to this particular issue. I have a particular ring that I am looking at but want to know if any of you think it has "fish eye". I have enclosed a couple of pics. I really hope you can help, as I am a little nervous about spending a large amount over the internet.

Thank you and I look forward to your responses
21.gif

cl1.jpg

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock
this is the 2nd pic...

cl2.jpg

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock
this is the information they have given me - I am still waiting on info on depth, table and others...

1.00CT round
full cut, fully faceted diamond
G color
SI1 clarity
excellent polish
faceted girdle
absolutely no visible inclusions
no carbon, chips, florescence or problems
measures 6.11 MM by 3.85 MM

thank you again for all responses

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi Aussiegirl,

If those measurements are right the depth is 63.0%. Fish eyes are shallow stones....how much is the stone? What report does it come with? Is the vendor listed on PriceScope? Is this from Ebay? Cindy

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm....Looks like you might want to hold off on that purchase -- I agree that from what I can tell in these pictures the cut is not nice at all. Large culet too. Very large. unless I''m seeing things?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness gracious!
emotion-16.gif
Please run away from this stone as quickly as possible. I can see right through the diamond to all 6 prongs. I don''t even need to know the specs to say "Please don''t buy this diamond".

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, just in case the other posts didn''t scare you away enough, I''m adding my two cents: run away.

Can we help you find something better within your budget?

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock
So glad I have come here first!! Thank you so much for your comments - there is no way I am forking out my hard earned cash now :)

I am having a huge dilemma as whether to buy online in the US or online in Australia - the stores here are way overpriced for bad quality.... I have just emailed Martin from USA cert gems to see what he can do for me....

looking for the following:

great cut? (I think this is the most important thing!)
.8 - 1 ct
I-J col
Si1-Si2
budget max $3k USD
do you think this is realistic? I am just really nervous about buying from the US as if I get it and hate it, it will cost me about $500 in customs tax which I will lose if I return it.

what do you think?

thanks guys
aussiegirl

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

While not jumping in to defend this diamond - im still a beginner on this...

but seeing the prongs through the diamond? are you sure?

Forgive me, if i play devils advocate here... but while its true you can see that the dark lines within the diamond line up with the prongs situated in the NW NE SW SE directions the North and South prongs don’t... that there are in fact 2 dark lines visible either side of the prong... possible debuting that you cant see the prongs, and are possible almost the formation of ‘arrows’ in the top down view… tho the poor cut of the facets around the table mean the arrow heads are not produced… but also, the large clear surrounding the cutlet, could be down to an overly large Table, maybe resulting in a steep crown angle.

Again I reiterate I am simply a curious beginner when it comes to theses things… and everything I have just written could be codswallop, and bullsdroppings.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
using the price scope thing above...

0.910 J VS2 scores 1.3 - ex-ex-ex-gd on the HCA
depth 63.1, table 54, crown 34.6° pav 40.7° GIAcert girdle sl thk cutlet no, sym ex, polish vg, flr neg, $2783*S from whiteflash

or

0.808 H SI1 0 0.7-EX ex-ex-ex-vg 61.7 55 34.4° 40.6° AGS 1.5-2.3 pt id id no $2972 from dirt cheap diamonds
certainly there are at least 8 diamonds under $3K or just slightly over... ($3084 max) but then does that include for a ring? allow maybe $100-300 for the ring of your choice.

does that help?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I actually read this thread because of the great "subject". Aussie girl and the fisheye.....sounds like a story to tell around a campfire somewhere.

The cut of the diamond does not look so good, as many others have already told you. I''m glad you found Pricescope before you bought a poorly cut example when so many wonderful stones can be safely purchased.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Aussiegirl, a couple of thoughts.

1. Johan (MDX) and Garry Holloway are both in the land down under. They post on the board and could be helpful in your quest if you want to shop "live."

2. There are several first-class independent appraisers on PS (Dave Atlas is one, and he has responded in the thread). If you decide to purchase in the US it's not uncommon to have a vendor send the stone to an appraiser for analysis before it comes to you. That could be an online safeguard for you if you decide to buy in the US or Canada.

PS...Campfire story would be good, but I want to see the movie "Aussiegirl and the Fisheye," starring Sandra Bullock and Danny DeVito!
31.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Aussiegirl
I am from Melbourne and have recently purchased a diamond from MDX. I posted the thread "Overexcited about my MDX purchase?".

I am only a novice and hesitate to comment about cut quality, particularly as it is not a good photo, but that diamond looks awful to me, regardless of the price.

For me it was a bit nervewracking purchasing a diamond for the first time online, but I would not hesitate doing it again. The cost difference was marked and all my transactions went smoothly. As a beginner, I felt more comfortable purchasing from someone with an office close to home this time, but would be happy purchasing from the US my second time around (my stone ended up coming from NY anyway). I have followed Pricescope''s forum for a few months now and corresponded with a few vendors and would not hesitate with using Whiteflash, Niceice, etc as well. There is usually a 15-30 day return period, and you can opt to send the stone directly to an appraiser first. Your options are numerous, but go with someone reputable. I would hesitate using a vendor providing such limited information as yours and using terms like "absolutely no visible inclusions" (implies a flawless stone) and "no carbon" (do they mean it is not a diamond?). This does not inspire confidence!!!

I have ended up with an absoluely gorgeous diamond, which was appraised by Gary Holloway and is being set by him and I couldn''t be happier. He has a large range of beautiful ideal cut diamonds if you prefer to buy from a conventional store. I visited many stores before buying and found very few with stones which looked great under natural or diffuse light. Information on cut was often very limited. Assistants even in exclusive stores were usually not very knowlegable either.

Have fun buying.
1.gif

aussiegirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Angela - I have looked at their site and am comparing prices with them and also whiteflash which seem to have a really good range - yes - I think it will be much better going with a reputable dealer!

cheers
aussiegirl

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results