shape
carat
color
clarity

Aussie, British, Irish (etc) moms, help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi gals...

I''m doing a fun presentation which focuses on differences on lingo when it comes to baby stuff. It''s a short video presentation, and I could use some help.

I''m looking at "American" words for things vs the "English" equivalent. So far, I only have:

Diaper/Nappy
Stroller/Pram
Pacifier/Dummy

Any others?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Crib/Cot (If I remember Pandora correctly?)

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I''ll think about it more, but I did have a laugh when an old co-worker of mine (from London days) said he''d toilet trained his son so finally "no more crappy nappies". It''s a variation of what you already listed, but I found it hilarious..

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Pandora I''m sure can give you a ton more! I remeber her using "got wind" for burping, and the others above.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
grobag/sleepsack

babygro/onesie

If I remember correctly...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should start a thread, calling Pandora. I know she'd have a ton of these for you.... Hoping she will see this tomorrow, as it's llate across the pond.. Fun project.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Chucking/vomiting - Throwing up
41.gif

Wee Wee - Pee
Sore (something) Boo Boo (Or did I imagine this)
Coke fizzy drink -Pop Soda
Kindy = Nursey or Pre School

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
stroller/pram

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
US/UK

bassinette= Moses Basket
cradle = crib
crib = cot
baby cereal = baby rice
diaper = nappy
diaperbag = nappysack
soother/pacifier = dummy
stroller = buggy or pram (pram is short for perambulator)
pre-natal = ante-natal
face cloths = flannels
undershirts = vests
monitor = babymonitor or intercom (ie for listening to the baby in another room)
sleeper or onesie = babygro
snaps (like those on sleepers) = poppers
playpen = travel cot
demerol = pethedine
ultrasound/sonogram = scan

I don''t know if baby wipes are called the same in the US.

can''t think of anything else at the mo

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Down under, we call them jumpsuits, I believe you call them onesies?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Po has done loads of them, I''d add a few bits on though.

Cradle - we would call this either a cradle or a crib, although a cradle tends to be low to the ground and rocks. What you all call a crib we call a cot. Some cots then expand to become a cotbed.

Diaperbag - I think this is what we would call a Changing Bag - ie it''s a bag that you take out with you with all the baby stuff in. Nappy Sacks are little plastic bags that you put used nappies in.

Stroller - I''ve never used the word buggy, but a pram is a fairly substantial stroller, especially one with a carrycot (a portable bassinette) attached where the baby can lie flat. Small strollers (the umbrella type) are called pushchairs and are used for older babies.

I think what you all call a dresser is what we would call a chest of drawers. In the UK a dresser is something you would have in a kitchen with plates displayed on the top half and cupboards on the bottom half.

Onesies are a tricky one - I would call a onesie a short or long-sleeved top that buttons between the legs. If they have legs as well then they are a babygro, if there are also feet then they are either a sleepsuit or a babygro. If there are no arms and no legs then they are a vest. They all fasten with either zips, buttons or poppers.

Pants are knickers or underwear in the UK. What you call pants we call trousers. Tights are what I think you would call hose or stockings? We use those words as well but referring to adults not babies clothes.

A Grobag is a brand name of sleepsack - grobags are also what you grow tomatoes in...
9.gif

Burp cloth - I''ve always called these moppers.

Gas - Wind and you also wind a baby after they have eaten to make them burp.

Diapers - in all cases exchange with nappy ie nappy rash, nappy cream etc. Nappies can also just be referred to as disposables or terries without the need to add nappy as a qualifier.

Pack n'' Play - This is a travel cot. A playpen is a cage that you put your child in so they can''t escape and wreck the place.

Pitocin - Syntocinon

Acetaminophen - Paracetamol, for babies there is a brand of liquid paracetamol called Calpol.

Pedi - Paediatrician, who would be based in a hospital and who you would only see for something very serious and on referral from your GP. Ditto with a Obstetrician or Gynaecologist who you would also only see on referral and in the case of an Obstetrician only if you are high risk. Otherwise all maternity care is in the community and shared between your GP and a team of midwives. If you are low-risk, in the antenatal stage you normally go to the hospital only for your scans (US or sonogram) at 12 weeks and 20 weeks - although in many areas it''s only the 20 week scan that is available - or if they suspect pre-eclampsia or gestational diabetes. Postnatal care is all with your GP.

We also have Health Visitors - who are gorgons that visit you at various times over the first 5 years to check that you are bringing up your baby properly and make you feel like you are back at school!

Katebars:

Throwing up/being sick/vomiting/chucking up/puking - all interchangeable. I would tend to say that Daisy has thrown up if it''s what you would call spit up. Being sick is more to do with vomiting associated with illness.

Pee is indeed wee wee. And we talk about poo rather than poop.

Sore botty boos - is a sore bottom due to nappy rash. It''s a pet form ie you would say to your child "Aw, who''s got a sore botty boos", you wouldn''t tell your GP that!

All fizzy drinks are Coke. Soda is soda water that you have as a mixer.

Kindy is Kindergarten which is your Pre-School. Nursery is used here as well - probably more than Kindy these days.

I''m sure there are loads more that will come to me...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2009 7:23:07 AM
Author: Pandora II

All fizzy drinks are Coke.
I thought in English lingo, fizzy drinks are called "soft drinks" and Coke is just one type of soft drinks (?). So, for instance, 7ups would be a soft drink too as is Tango.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:57:14 AM
Author: Phoenix

Date: 10/8/2009 7:23:07 AM
Author: Pandora II

All fizzy drinks are Coke.
I thought in English lingo, fizzy drinks are called ''soft drinks'' and Coke is just one type of soft drinks (?). So, for instance, 7ups would be a soft drink too as is Tango.
I grew up in the midwest where all sodas are called "cokes". I remember when I moved to the East Coast, I asked a waiter what kind of cokes they had and he said "Coke and Diet Coke", so I said "You don''t have Sprite?" and he was really confused...as was I. I had no idea this was common in England as well.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
i have never heard the ''all fizzy drinks are cokes'' either. I suppose that''s all they had for awhile, but now there''s so much more? What if you want an orange soda--do you day orange coke? Or fanta coke?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You gals are awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time, especially Pandora for her detailed list. This will be helpful for my silly presentation!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cute thread Tgal!

NEL, your Coke story make me laugh!

Croí

Shiny_Rock
Traveling ... so funny I come here {after being gone forever} and find you looking for Irish folk etc. .......
Do you even remember green-haired me ? I was just back because it''s been almost five years since my proposal now {two kids !} and I was having a gander down memory lane. I will check this thread tomorrow, would love to hear from you. Hooked up with BlueRoses on FB, but lost all of the rest of the gals.

Hope life is TERRIFIC !
C

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 9:48:27 PM
Author: Croí
Traveling ... so funny I come here {after being gone forever} and find you looking for Irish folk etc. .......
Do you even remember green-haired me ? I was just back because it''s been almost five years since my proposal now {two kids !} and I was having a gander down memory lane. I will check this thread tomorrow, would love to hear from you. Hooked up with BlueRoses on FB, but lost all of the rest of the gals.

Hope life is TERRIFIC !
C
well since you are the ONLY person (that I remember anyway) that I exchanged PMs with before they went away, of COURSE I remember you.
2.gif

Two kids? Wow, we''re all growing up together. Welcome back, and I hope you stick around and hang out with us!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an example:

On the way to the fridge:

ME: Do you want a coke?
DH: Yes please
ME: What kind?
DH: Dr Pepper would be good...

In a restaurant you would order by type... so Fanta, Sprite etc

You can say soft drink as well, but that would encompass fruit juices etc - fizzy drinks includes only carbonated ones except mineral water.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results