shape
carat
color
clarity

At what age for kid's first trip to Disney?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Disney is local to us, but I haven't taken the kid there yet.

Most of my friends take their kids at around 1.5-2 years. One of my friends, who took her kid there at 3, said to wait until mine was 4 or 5. The reason is that kids actually don't seem to remember the trip at 3. Another whose kids were older said her kid begged her to take him to Disney since he had never been. In reality, he'd been already taken twice.

When do you think is the best age for that first trip to the Magic Kingdom?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
We're in Orlando and we took our son several times before age 3 (because he got in free). While he seemed to have a great time, now at age 5 he claims he's never been, so obviously he has no memory of it. We plan to take him back around his 6th birthday coming up soon.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Depends on why you want to go :cheeky:

I'm a huge fan of Disney. I absolutely love it and even though I'm local, I still consider it a vacation when I make the trip to Disney. I'm taking Sophia in October when the lines are short and it's cooler out. She'll be 15 months. I have no reason for taking her other than it's free for her to go, as Steph mentioned, and just to spend time with her...living in the moment kind of thing.

She'll probably be around 3 or 4 when I take her for her if that makes sense.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
It depends on how much you like Disney! Since it's close, it's not as big of a deal.

My mom waited until the youngest was 5 to take us. She only wanted to go once, and so she wanted the baby of the family to remember it. She still forgot about most of it!

Fast forward to high school, and my mom got to go 5 more times for cheerleading/dance nationals!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I doubt we'll go before Henry turns 5, but we're not local. It'd be a trip trip, and we'd rather do family trips more for US (husband and I) before he's old enough to remember an experience.

Going for his 5th birthday might be fun, but Disneyland in June? Eeek. Maybe for his 5th Christmas. :tongue: ETA: Not to mention we'll probably have another very small child by then, so maybe his 8th Christmas. ;))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
When we took my friend's baby there for the first time, we ran into Donald in an empty area in Cal. Adv. He spent about 30 mins playing peekaboo and other games w/ the baby, and he was laughing, giggling, and drooling all over the place. Those pictures are priceless!

ETA: my friend's baby was about 1 at the time. He's 7 now and those pictures are his favorite baby pics. :)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I went with a friend who has a 2.5 and 5 year old for the 5 year olds birthday in December. I've decided to wait until Jane is 4 or 5 to take her after watching the two kids and we're about as close as you are, TG. The 2.5 year old enjoyed himself, but would have had as much if not more fun in his own backyard. The 5 year old was in awe of everything, it was so fun to watch her explore and observe.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
My parents took us when I was 5, my sister was 4, and my brother was under a year. None of us remember much of it, although my parents said my sister and I really enjoyed it, I made them go on "It's a Small World" a few dozen times. We went again when we were 17, 16, and 13, and my sister were both into a phase when we were too cool for a family trip like this. I think DH and I would likely wait until our future kids were in the 7-10 range to do a trip there, but we're nowhere near either Disney park so it would likely be a one time trip.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
As you know, we are also locals. We haven't been yet, but are actually planning on this Sunday. I wanted to take M for my birthday in 2009 since we would both get in for free, but it rained. I know she'll enjoy it, but it really didn't matter to her if it was Disneyland or local park. Lucky for us, SIL is a Disney employee, so she can takes us in for free. If that wasn't the case, then we probably wouldn't take her until she is older, considering how expensive the tickets are.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I'm planning and saving for a trip to Disney World the year my daughter turns 6. I went when I was 4 and only remember bits and pieces, so if we go when she's a little older, she can tell all the kids at school and have some great memories.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I took DD when she was 3 years and 3 months. At age 17 she has no recollection of being there when she was 3. (She road the Dumbo ride 15 times and the teacups at least a dozen times) We went again when she was 5 and still remembers what she did, road on when she was 5. Everytime we went after that she would say, I remember that when I was 5 or we didn't do that when I was 5, etc. (We have been to Disney at least 6 times).

On the plus side we have lots of photos when went to Disney, so even though she doesn't remember she has the photos and the scrapbook I made for her for all her Disney adventures.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My older sister took my nieces last year at age 7 and 3ish. They both had fun, but the 7 year old actually said her favorite part of the trip was the ice cream and the hotel pool! :cheeky:

My parents took us when I was 4 and I still remember it.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How about never? Ever. I can't even begin to think about how I would cope with queueing up to see person sized mice in all that heat...
DH wants to go in a couple of years. I want to go never. Is it a must-see or can I hold firm and book our usual two weeks in a drizzly, desolate part of a cold, wet country? :bigsmile:

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
we took B when he was 11 months for the first time, then when he was almost 2 and again when he was 2.5. and N went for the first time when he was 7 months.

i love disneyland so we go for me as well, hate to admit it but it's true. yes, they don't remember going, but for me and DH, it's the look on their face when they see everything and how excited they are.

and B does remember that he's been there, but of course in the long term, he won't. we plan on taking the kids to disneyland at least once a year and disneyworld every other year.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W said:
How about never? Ever. I can't even begin to think about how I would cope with queueing up to see person sized mice in all that heat...
DH wants to go in a couple of years. I want to go never. Is it a must-see or can I hold firm and book our usual two weeks in a drizzly, desolate part of a cold, wet country? :bigsmile:
I think it's a must see for kids at least once. I would go Jan or Feb when it's cooler and less crowded.

A

Anonymous

Hmm I took my older daughter when she was 5 and a half. At 7 she still asks "can we go back to Disneyland soon???" so she remembers it, for now at least!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Disneyland at 2 months (Was part of a family reunion type trip), and then we will be going to DisneyWorld at 6 months.

We go to DW every other year. DH and I are treating this as our last DW trip to do what WE want. Eventhough the little one will be with us, this is still an adult trip. The first trip to DW that will be specifically "for him", will be when he is 3.

That is the age that my sister took my niece for the first time (for her birthday actually), and there is absolutely NO doubt that she remembers it. She goes to bed everynight in a disney princess nightgown, and carries the princess backpack she got on their trip with her everwhere. BTW, she is now 5.5 yrs old. I think if you spend the time planning to do the things that are memorable (ie, dinner with the characters, etc.) there is no doubt that she will love every minute.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W said:

A full and meaningful life can be lived without ever having gone to Disneyland. Send your husband and daughter and stay home if he insists!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
KimberlyH said:
Jennifer W said:

A full and meaningful life can be lived without ever having gone to Disneyland. Send your husband and daughter and stay home if he insists!

LIES

:cheeky:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer, I live near Disneyland (vs Orlando's Disneyworld) and wouldn't consider it in terrible weather. I'd avoid Disney in the summer more for the crowds than the heat. But Disneyland is a fairly easy trip for the SoCal locals.

lili

Ideal_Rock
DH and I were talking about it recently.
We wanted to get an annual pass since we know that we probably won't be able to do Disney in one day.
And also, we wanted to go during off-hours just to avoid the crowd.
I know that J may not remember her Disney venture at this age, but I think just seeing her face lights up and her yelling out some of the Disney characters would be priceless.

We haven't gotten the pass just yet because 1) not too sure if Disneyland is J's thing and 2) I'm a huge procrastinator :razz:
I want expose J to a little more of the disney characters before we go since at this age, she probably can't go on most rides and the only thing that she can do is enjoy the decors and characters walking around.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Get the annual pass! We had annual passes growing up, and it was the best thing my mom could have bought us. If you dont know what to do on a sunday afternoon (or wanna play hooky from work), just go there and spend a few hours. The annual pass gets you into both parks, so you can enjoy a glass of wine or a beer (only in Ca. Adv.) while the little one plays. win-win. :)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
KimberlyH said:
Jennifer W said:

LIES

Blasphemous, I know! As the mother of a girl the who princess complex and obsession terrifies me. I'll have to create a Gloria Steinem doll to counterbalance the whole "Some day my prince will come" ideology that will be stuffed in my kids' head through watching Disney videos. I mentioned banning them from the house, but my husband said I would make her into a freak if I didn't allow her to see them.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
KimberlyH said:
fiery said:
KimberlyH said:
Jennifer W said:

LIES

Blasphemous, I know! As the mother of a girl the who princess complex and obsession terrifies me. I'll have to create a Gloria Steinem doll to counterbalance the whole "Some day my prince will come" ideology that will be stuffed in my kids' head through watching Disney videos. I mentioned banning them from the house, but my husband said I would make her into a freak if I didn't allow her to see them.

LOL!

I think you either love it or hate it and I truly hate it. I could be being very unfair here though, because my prejudice is based on what I see of Disney movies, toys and merchandise from here in Scotland. I have never actually been to where it all happens, so I may love it when I get there. This thread is very timely, since DH keeps bringing it up, but if we do go, it will be a lot of travelling for us. I therefore either have to embrace the whole experience and enjoy it, or stay home while DH takes DD.

As I type this, I'm seeing a mental image of a quiet, empty house, all tidy and free of brightly coloured plastic toys, with me lying on a sofa sipping a cool drink and reading a novel. I can see a spa voucher out of the corner of my eye and a couple of boxes of bon bons next to me... I'm now contrasting that image of what I know about Disney and well, I can practically taste the bon bons. :D :lickout:

Maybe we could go to EuroDisney as a taster? Has anyone been there? What do you think? If we go the US Disneyland, I think we'd struggle to plan vacation time for when it's relatively cool and quiet, unless we do it before DD starts school (age 4 here). I could get to the Paris one in a few hours, go for a weekend. Maybe that's the best option for us.

Jen

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I actually don't dislike Disneyland, I'm just not entranced by it. All of the lights on Main Street at Christmas are beautiful and in general it's a fun experience. As I said, I worry about the message some of the Disney movies/characters send to little girls but I can still appreciate the appeal. But if I lived where you do and was planning a family vacation there are other places that would rank much higher on my list. I think I'd opt for EuroDisney.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming, with my apologies for hijacking, TG.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TravelingGal said:
Jennifer, I live near Disneyland (vs Orlando's Disneyworld) and wouldn't consider it in terrible weather. I'd avoid Disney in the summer more for the crowds than the heat. But Disneyland is a fairly easy trip for the SoCal locals.
Aha. I just spotted this post.
I hadn't realised there were two venues.

I think DH would be satisfied with Eurodisney and DD is two- she'll take what she gets and be grateful... :cheeky:

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
We took Andrew when he was 3 and I was pregnant because I wanted him to go once before his little brother was born. However, I wish we had waited until he was 4 or 5. He does still remember the trip and talk about it, but he was scared of most of the rides and didn't want to ride anything except the train that takes you around the park. He also enjoyed the little playgrounds with slides and whatnot they had everywhere, but he could go to a playground anywhere :roll:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had kids, I'd wait until they were 6, when they'll (most likely) be old enough to remember DL. I was 11, I think, when my family went to DW for the first time. My sister was 5, and she doesn't really remember that trip at all. She feels that she was gypped out of seeing such a magical place.

ETA: I was wondering how people who are local to DW or DL feel about this. For us, it was a HUGE deal to go to DW because it meant driving to the airport, taking a plane, staying at a hotel, and doing all the other things a big family vacation include. If we lived locally, it might not have been the same big deal trip, you know? I still would probably choose to wait until my kids were old enough but maybe not.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only been once when my oldest was 5 and my youngest was 2. It was a perfect age for my oldest - she loved both some of the young rides but also could ride splash mountain and the epcot rides, and also still loved all the princess stuff. OTOH the situation with our youngest was the biggest detraction to the trip. In addition to having a cold making her a worse traveler than normal, she both didn't want to walk but also didn't want to stay in the stroller, so my husband had to literally carry her 8 hours of the day, plus she was still in diapers. So one of us had to watch her, while the other would go on the grown up ride; There was only one or two times the entire trip where my husband and I got to ride a (grown up) ride together.

I'd wait till 4,5 at the earliest unless you simply want to go yourself and you have to bring your baby/toddler.

I'd love to go one more time, at an age where one or more of the kids can ride the more adult rides, and they both can move under their own locomotion.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer, you may surprise yourself if you ever go to Disneyworld. They are in the business of entertaining and relaxing their "guests" and they do that very well. Both my husband and brother in law were anti Disney went we went, and were both extremely impressed by the time we left. They really designed the parks well that even with crowds the amenities and attractions are layed out well it's both beautiful but not overwhelming. It's hard to describe all the little touches they have, everything from giving your children free mickey mouse hats, to the characters taking the time to interact with your little ones, to a guide talking to my daughter about the meercats when she saw her watching them, to them giving me a free (huge!) dessert at the restaurant when they noticed me stealing bites from my children's dessert, to a trained musician playing piano in the hotel bar, it goes on and on. Our favorite place was Epcot center with all the different countries and food. My second favorite was where we stayed (Riverside), looking at the river/lake and also using the recreation area with multiple pools, a hot tub, bar, and park for the kids. I could have lived there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results