shape
carat
color
clarity

Asthma inhalers

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, aren't you on the east coast? :confused: . The closest wildfire is like 50 miles away from us.

It travels even further @Dancing Fire believe it or not. My friend first pointed this out to me and then my doctor confirmed it. :(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It travels even further @Dancing Fire believe it or not. My friend first pointed this out to me and then my doctor confirmed it. :(
We had couple days of poor air quality last week but this week is much better outside. Take care.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for chiming in @bright&shiny! I am sorry you are dealing with this especially as a singer and a runner. It's challenging to say the least. This is also my form of asthma. The Cough variant. So annoying. I have a constant urge to cough all the time. Sometimes a cough drop helps but only as long as it is in my mouth.

I will inquire about the monthly injection NUcala. I am glad it is working well for you and appreciate you sharing this info with me. If I have to go to Symbicort I will (my sister takes this I think) but again studies do indicate it can cause bone loss and I am already starting from a deficit regarding bone health. Which is the only reason I am hesitant. If it is my only recourse I will do it though as breathing trumps all else really.

How often do you take the Symbicort? Is it daily?
And may I ask what sublingual drops you are taking?

Thanks so much and wishing you and everyone here who is dealing with asthma easy breathing.

I take symbicourt 2 times a day, but I think that’s typical of inhaled steroids. It’s whatever is required for a therapeutic dose. I have a family history of osteoporosis, so it is a big concern. However, my doctors have been clear that it’s better for me than pred…. It sure stinks to make such choices!

Perhaps a serious talk with your endocrinologist or whoever is helping you with bone density could help with guidance on how to balance those two factors.

The sublingual drops are from my allergist. It turns out, I have many allergies - mold is one of the worst. Apparently mold can’t be addressed well in allergy shots, but the drops have been great! It’s not covered by insurance, because the US system doesn’t consider it a standard of care (vs injections), but it’s common in Europe and well regarded as far as I know.

My pulmonologist (ugh, I hate having so many doctors…) also prescribed a nasal spray to reduce the post nasal drip that seems chronic for me (and I wasn’t even aware was happening) that was causing my chronic cough. Overall, I’m grateful that I rarely feel like I’m breathing in a cloud of cotton anymore. And when it does go badly, my time on prednisone is much shorter.

I hope you are able to find some solutions that help ease your breathing. It’s been a long road for me as it seems to be for so many of us.

Puppy pic for cuteness tax :) 32813F9A-E05C-4383-9284-9B012964A3DC.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

This makes sence unfortunatly
The really bad Aussie bush fires (just before the pandemic if anyone can remember pre-pandemic life) left soot on our glaciers

Starfacet Jewelry

Rough_Rock
Trade
I use Flovent 110 mcg two puffs twice a day. This normally keeps the asthma under control. I use Proair on a rescue basis (which means rarely).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The last time i had an attack a few years ago now it had been so long since i had had one in or needed even a preventer i had nothing in the house

Lucky I found a bottle of ginger cordial in the back of the pantry, it worked amazingly
ive also heard raw onion is good in an emergency

Now i make sure i always have a Ventolin somewhere close and i dont skimp on the hay fever tablets

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank @bright&shiny and omg what a precious baby ♥️♥️♥️

Glad that works for you @Starfacet Jewelry thank you for sharing mm

@Daisys and Diamonds yes it is good to be prepared. XO.

Interesting article in the NYT.

“We have had smoke in the sky literally since the third week of July,” Amy Ginder, a 47-year-old resident of Reno, said. “We have been inhaling toxins for five weeks now. You can’t be outside. You can’t breathe. You can’t see the sun.”​
In response, Ginder has stopped jogging outdoors. “If it were just this summer, you’d just suck it up and move on,” she said. “But it isn’t. It’s the realization that this is our future.”​
Smoke-clogged air has become a regular part of life in the American West. Climate change has increased the frequency of droughts, extreme heat and, by extension, large wildfires. The smoke then drifts across large parts of the Pacific Coast and Mountain West. Sometimes, it even reaches the East Coast.​
“This is what climate change looks like,” said Daniel Swain, a scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles.​
To help document the West’s growing crisis of air quality, I want to use part of today’s newsletter to show photographs from the region. A couple of them come from the mountain resort of Lake Tahoe (and I recommend this story about the area, by my colleagues Thomas Fuller and Shawn Hubler).​
One measure of the problem: In several places yesterday — including Bend, Ore.; an area north of Sacramento; and Lake Tahoe — air pollution reached levels that can damage lungs when people spend time outdoors. Phil Abernathy, a Lake Tahoe resident who decided to flee the area in search of cleaner air, told The Times that simply inhaling can feel like a “sizable man is standing on my chest.”

”​

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
We are heading to WY and there is often smoke there this time of year. They’ve had rain so the local fires are out, but the CA fire smoke is carrying over to the Teton, so I’ll be going from the frying pan into the fire, it seems. I’m taking all the emergency meds, and the normal set, too. I’m also hoping wearing a good mask will help - we’ve never tried that before out there…. Have you tried wearing a mask @missy ? I tried it for those really tough days here at home and so far, it makes a noticeable difference. I’m wearing Air Queen masks because I breathe best in them (not an ad - just the result of a lot of trial and error with masks and asthma).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are heading to WY and there is often smoke there this time of year. They’ve had rain so the local fires are out, but the CA fire smoke is carrying over to the Teton, so I’ll be going from the frying pan into the fire, it seems. I’m taking all the emergency meds, and the normal set, too. I’m also hoping wearing a good mask will help - we’ve never tried that before out there…. Have you tried wearing a mask @missy ? I tried it for those really tough days here at home and so far, it makes a noticeable difference. I’m wearing Air Queen masks because I breathe best in them (not an ad - just the result of a lot of trial and error with masks and asthma).

Thanks @bright&shiny yes when the weather cools down I can try wearing a mask. ATM with heat indices in the 90s and above it's just too hot for me. I cannot breathe well with the mask. One of my doctors loves that mask..I will have to check it out again. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a good time in Wyoming. :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How are you doing @missy ?
Been a rough day here today with a lot of gunk in the air.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you doing @missy ?
Been a rough day here today with a lot of gunk in the air.

Thanks for asking Karl. I am doing better. I still need to take the inhaler daily but less times per day and it seems to be working better. However, the nebulizer works the best for me. I do a treatment every morning and it does provide much more relief than the inhaler. I am also taking Singulair and I believe that is contributing to my improvement as well.

How are you doing? I am sorry the poor air quality is hanging around and affecting us. It is a shame we are dealing with such poor air quality conditions so much of the time. I hope your treatments are providing you with relief and you are doing well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results