shape
carat
color
clarity

Assistance on lab diamond search

themario

Rough_Rock
After reading and learning over the past few weeks, I am very sold on getting a lab grown diamond. I really do not want to sacrifice quality to stay with a natural mined stone. Now my issue is, Im nervous with my ability to identify poor lab diamonds. Even looking through the price scope search tool the price differential is massive even between stones of the exact same ratings. I am doing my best to learn how to look at ASET maps but this is something that will take time. Are there any easy tips, or could someone show me hard examples of some red/green flags ?

I am looking for a brilliant round in the 1.25 - 1.5 carat range, still sort of juggling which end of this spectrum as Im not sure if 1.5 will be too big and noticeable on a small hand. with color in D-F, Clarity in IF - VVS2, and as "Ideal" of a cut as possible.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say "small hand" what do you mean? How big of a finger?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@themario you're in the right place! The experts will help you find an optimally cut stone while also looking out for all sorts of other things. What’s your budget?

And have you tried on 1.5ct stones at a store? You might get used to that size really fast. I’m a 4.5 who thought I wanted 1.5. But I got used to my 2.17ct really quickly.

Welcome, and we’re excited for you!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a beautiful diamond for you. Let me know when you're online and ready to put it on hold, and I'll post the link. Lurkers often snap up recommended stones.

themario

Rough_Rock
@themario you're in the right place! The experts will help you find an optimally cut stone while also looking out for all sorts of other things. What’s your budget?

And have you tried on 1.5ct stones at a store? You might get used to that size really fast. I’m a 4.5 who thought I wanted 1.5. But I got used to my 2.17ct really quickly.

Welcome, and we’re excited for you!

I saw some 1.2ct and 1.5ct stones at the store and I think that they look reasonable. I think that your hand would be smaller than hers. The main thing is she enjoys sleeker not super bulky jewelry and it seems like the real important thing for me will end up being the setting rather than the carat count of the diamond, but it makes me a little nervous regardless. I have also been looking at plenty of youtube and other picture posted examples of the different sizes.

I was initially looking at higher end 1ct natural stones and was ready to spend ~$9000 before I came to my senses on lab grown. I am under the assumption I should be able to stay around $4000-$5000 for lab?

themario

Rough_Rock
I found a beautiful diamond for you. Let me know when you're online and ready to put it on hold, and I'll post the link. Lurkers often snap up recommended stones.

I am online and would love to see it.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am online and would love to see it.

Here you go!

themario

Rough_Rock
Here you go!

Wow this great. I am so confused on the price differences in some of these gems, how is this one so cheap? All of the proportions check out great from my limited knowledge and excellent scores all around.

I put this in my bag, not sure if this actually reserves it or If I need to immediately order it to reserve it. Would the next steps be to image this in person or do you think I could get more info from the vendor? Its a low enough price that I dont think I would mine ordering right away and inspecting more thoroughly in person.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this great. I am so confused on the price differences in some of these gems, how is this one so cheap? All of the proportions check out great from my limited knowledge and excellent scores all around.

I put this in my bag, not sure if this actually reserves it or If I need to immediately order it to reserve it. Would the next steps be to image this in person or do you think I could get more info from the vendor? Its a low enough price that I dont think I would mine ordering right away and inspecting more thoroughly in person.

I think you need to call them to reserve it. If it were me, I'd just order it and inspect in person as you said.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Order placed. Super excited to see this in person. Thanks for your quick help.

You're very welcome! I'm excited for you and looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you receive it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yayyyy so glad you bought it. It's perfect

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Score! Now, you can get her an amazing mounting!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@themario don’t worry about the price. We’ve seen lots of PSers happily purchase from loosegrowndiamond. They’ve got incredible pricing. But yes - if you were ready to drop $4-5k, it can be a jolt … a jolt of cash!

After you’re settled in a stone, let us know if you need suggestions on where to get the setting. With your budget, you’ll be able to get a truly gorgeous setting.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Shucks, I wish I had seen this thread (as someone who the setting was more important than the stone, which is not very Pricescope-like).
Please consider looking into settings and deciding on a style - if antique inspired, your budget is healthy for a lab OEC or a modern JP decagon.

themario

Rough_Rock
Shucks, I wish I had seen this thread (as someone who the setting was more important than the stone, which is not very Pricescope-like).
Please consider looking into settings and deciding on a style - if antique inspired, your budget is healthy for a lab OEC or a modern JP decagon.

Wow, I have to say I had not heard of the decagon before but it really caught my attention after looking into it. So much so that I actually want to spend some more time looking into this

themario

Rough_Rock
I just received my diamond yesterday and it looks amazing. The stone on its own looks huge but im sure in the right setting it will be the perfect size. I am planning on taking images tomorrow and will post them here.

I will continue to do more research on settings and go from there and possibly consider taking a closer look at the jp decagons that were suggested above.

Super happy with all the help from here. I feel like all my options from this point forward will turn out great

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received my diamond yesterday and it looks amazing. The stone on its own looks huge but im sure in the right setting it will be the perfect size. I am planning on taking images tomorrow and will post them here.

I will continue to do more research on settings and go from there and possibly consider taking a closer look at the jp decagons that were suggested above.

Super happy with all the help from here. I feel like all my options from this point forward will turn out great

Wonderful to hear that the stone is a winner!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results