shape
carat
color
clarity

Asshcer diamonds: pavillion cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maddogmadden

Rough_Rock
After looking at quite a few "asscher" diamonds, I have to say that what really helps is the number of step cuts in the pavillion (besides all of the other keys that you can learn about here). Look for a GIA cert that states "cut cornered square step cut" This is key. It will give you the traditional octagonal shape and more repeating octaganol shapes as you look into the diamond and the table. Most non-branded asschers on the market have a simple three step pavillion which I think does not give the diamond that repeating octagonal shape as you look into the diamond. In addition, the cuts on the corner are not deep enough to really look like a "real" asscher. Keep in mind that the prongs will further cover up the cut corners.

If you can find it, look for a four or five step cut pavillion. You will get a bit more brilliance and more of that deep, concentric, repeating pattern on the table (which in my opinion is the true sign of a good "asscher").

(I am in no way a diamond expert this is just based on my observations.)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds dead on to me ! I am glad to hear your guess. Mine goes along too and I needed a pretext to write it down
2.gif

It just helps to have more of the steps to obtain that illusion of depth - second that. The Royal Asscher uses that trick too and the old asscher cuts are reputed to have more steps on their high crowns as well, although I don't think they were all cut like that (some large ones surely are).

As far as I know, as long as there are more facets than the standard emerald cut, GIA says "step cut" in stead of "emerald cut" on the report. I am not sure if their "cut corner" wording means that the stone has deep cut corners. Those words are not there only if the corners are not cut at all - like princess cuts have them or the step cut below. That one is called "square step cut" on the GIA paper.

Some "stop sign" shaped stones get called "octagonal step cut" on the GIA report and "Asscher" by the rest of the world.

SquareStepCut.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
imho more than 3 in a 2ct or smaller tends to look busy.
Properly cut 3 gets the job done.
Problem is the vast majority are not cut right.
In the 3c+ range more steps can be nice.

maddogmadden

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/17/2005 7
6.gif
2:12 PM
Author: strmrdr
imho more than 3 in a 2ct or smaller tends to look busy.
Properly cut 3 gets the job done.
Problem is the vast majority are not cut right.
In the 3c+ range more steps can be nice.
I have to disagree. I saw a five step cut pavillion asscher vs. a three step cut pavillion asscher which were both 1.43 and there was a difference. You do get a bit more sparkle but the main difference is in the table. There simply was no depth and repeating patterns in the table of the three step asscher.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2005 2:12:51 PM
Author: maddogmadden
Date: 1/17/2005 [/b] There simply was no depth and repeating patterns in the table of the three step asscher.
I can agree, with the average asscher cut available today there likely wasnt.
Adding steps does nothing if they arent in the right place and the right shape.
A properly cut 3 step will get the job done.
You like what you like and thats kewl :}

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results