shape
carat
color
clarity

asscher with extra facet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
I am the fiance of "orange horse" that has been posting and asking for help in locating the "right" 4ct (approx.) asscher/square emerald. We have modified our specs. as time has gone on and realize that the "look" we like is approx. 8.8mm by 8.8 mm. We have found one that sounds interesting to us and the GIA looks okay, but mentions an "extra facet"...What will that do to the stone? I realize the table/depth is not "ideal", but we are trying to figure out what IS....for us. We have seen (in person) a 70/70 that was 4.25 and liked that very much. We aren''t ready to settle on anything as significant as this....

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?shortnamelink=1&pid=LD00523662

Thanks,
LG
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clarity characteristics on VVS diamonds are about the size of dust by definition...

There are a couple of examples HERE. Blue Nile could provide similar pictures, I suppose.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh this is cute! A couple on ps searching together! Is this a first????

Anyhoo..i don''t know the answer to your question....but you ssssssssuuuuuurreeee you want to do an H in an asscher that size???. I''m sure there are lots of examples of H, I, asschers that are lovely, but if you''re at all color sensitive (b/c that''s a whole lot of beautiful body in a stone that size)...I''d maybe go to a really good vs1 or a little smaller...Just my worthless 2 cents. best of luck. I''ll be the first to demand pic on the stone you have yet to buy!

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
So should I be correct to think that if I have to select color OR clarity on a "step cut diamond" I "might" be better off with better clarity. I certainly do not want a yellow stone on my finger, but with budget constraints the "best of both worlds" might not be a possibility.......

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The name of the file is made up of weight and color
2.gif
Do you hate it ?

25LK.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI2 clarity square step cut
34.gif
... ok, a lucky one.
I know even the nicest picture cannot show 3D diamonds, but there is little more feasible from behind the screen. And the real stones are much smaller than the portrait, anyway.
Hope the 0.2 helps a bit.

SI2Step_wf.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ana, I'm going to pass out!!!! I did try on a 10 carat J asscher at Mark's...i'd a'taken it! :)
Orange Fiance...I dunno....I think it boils down to what's most imp to you...not that an 4 ct H asscher would be all that warm maybe

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
I could live with an SI1 that looks like that, but shopping via internet makes it that much harder without being able to see it.....I do not hate the one precceding that, but looks more emerald than square emerald for my tastes....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on where the extra facet is unfortunatly they are usualy in the wrong place and mess up the look.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
ok...we are talking about an H color with faint flur. It has been my understanding that with that color the flur. might actually help the diamond appear slightly kighter....any truth to that???

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2004 10:26:59 PM
Author: orange_horse_fiance
ok...we are talking about an H color with faint flur. It has been my understanding that with that color the flur. might actually help the diamond appear slightly kighter....any truth to that???
is some lighting yes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My advice is find a great vendor and work with them on finding the right stone for you. Have them call in some likely canidates and go over them.
Online for asschers, niceice.com and goodoldgold.com come first to mind.
If you go with GOG ask him to find one strmrdr would approve of he will know what your looking for :}

The best ones wont likely be in any dealers stock and trying to get info for a virtual asscher (from a list without the vendor filtering it first in person) is going to be next to impossible that bluenile stone is a virtual diamond.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Strmrdr certainly knows much more than I do...but it was my understanding that faint flourescence really had no impact at all...

Anyhoo...I wouldn't nec aim for an si1 in that size..that's going to make things much harder...not impossible but hard I would think. You need to get yourself a good vendor. I used Mark. he's right in the diamond district and walks right down the street and give the stone out there a once over. I'm sure any ps vendor you be MORE than happy to help you! :)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
JINX strmrdr!!! Great minds think alike? :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, MMM I know that''s not square but I didn''t have any other of the "magnitude" around even in picture (5:30 am nonetheless).

There is allot of wise talk about fluorescence around here... but I would not call "faint" fluorescence either good or bad, it is so very faint indeed. I guess it might have the slightest effect there, but perhaps not as much as to make a low H look like the whiter side of the grade.

I understand the point about inclusions, but from VVS2 to SI2 is a huge distance. At least VS1 or VS2 would deserve some attention, in my opinion. Not that there are no VS2s with visible inclusions (size matters here too), but it would be a waste to pass a great stone just because the word on the lab report doesn''t quite sound "flawless". IMO, of course.

Even if it is not feasible to show what a diamond looks like precisely online, pictures taken with darkfield illumination are much better than the clarity plots on lab reports. Usually the ink blot is orders of magnitude more prominent than a stansparent inclusion placed somewhere inside the stone (as opposed to the bi-dimensional map).

Just tell me when the last post is one too many. Step cuts are my darlings and I might not stop writing in due time
9.gif

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
We have been working with a PS vendor with out much success....we have a well respected local wholesaler in my area that has brought diamonds in for us to look at....this search has gone on easily for 3 months.

We had one that slipped through our hands, but that obviously did us no good. Getting frustrated with the process. Seems as though everyone has the same access to all the same limited number of diamonds that meet our requirements...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2004 10:33:57 PM
Author: moremoremore
JINX strmrdr!!! Great minds think alike? :)
lol
imho flour. has more effect on step cuts than rounds the sheer light return of the round covers it.
A lot of light sources have a ton of uv in them and I think that in a step cut it would be noticable at least more than in a round.
med would be better at hiding color of course and strong might just be totaly awesome.

I havent seen that many lower color asschers in person because they arent that popular in lower colors.
The ones I have seen showed color in an I to a large extent.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
Ana....PLEASE keep it coming... I have noticed your wisdom on the "step cuts" and truely have a love for them too.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2004 10:37:38 PM

Seems as though everyone has the same access to all the same limited number of diamonds that meet our requirements...
Until now I know this must be between 8.5 and 9 mm, square, I-H color, no-excuse eye clean... and this is about it. Surely there are more restrictions, right ?

There should be quite a few out there only not too confortable for sellers to bring in a hole load of high ticket diamonds - sadly so.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
5:30 Ana? Oh my!!! They are beautiful stone...you always find the good ones!
Orange- I hear ya. I say don''t settle and wait it out. Decide what color is your lowest, I agree with Ana 100%...give anything above a vs2 a chance (even a good si1 if the vendor says it''s eye clean), and just wait. I know you guys have been looking for a while, but imho, it will be worth the wait!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2004 10:37:38 PM
We have been working with a PS vendor with out much success....we have a well respected local wholesaler in my area that has brought diamonds in for us to look at....this search has gone on easily for 3 months.

We had one that slipped through our hands, but that obviously did us no good. Getting frustrated with the process. Seems as though everyone has the same access to all the same limited number of diamonds that meet our requirements...

I understand.
4ct diamonds arent that common much less asschers then add on that not many asschers are well cut it is a tough hunt.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
of course we do have more requiremets...

We would like a VG cut, VG polish and symmetry and of course we want it all at the "right" price.
17.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol
Val if we both get going this thread might end up 200 posts long I love well cut asschers/SE!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results