shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher- go with sparkle or keep it clear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crecchia

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am afraid to gush about this stone-- a gorgeous Asscher danburite from Jeff White-- because I don''t have pictures and I don''t know how to use my new camera!

It is just beautiful. I had been looking at diamond Asschers and came to the conclusion ( I know not all will agree) that it was almost a waste to pay for a diamond that doesn''t sparkle. I went to all the high-end places and no question, they were lovely, but for me there was that price/best use of material contradiction.

But I really like an Asscher in a clear stone. So I ordered the danburite out of curiosity and WOW. It is my first precision cut gem and I love knowing about all the talent and skill that transformed it into what it is now. I have decided to use it for my ering, since I don''t wear rings when I might bang them.

I am stumped as far as a setting, because I am not so sure that a lot of sparkles around it show it off the best way. I see Asschers combined with rounds/melee/halos and personally I don''t find it that harmonious with the center stone. But I''m not crazy about a solitaire, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Perhaps some other step cuts or baguettes or something clear rather than sparkly on the sides? I do like a vintage or Art Deco look as well, and engraving or milgrain.

Jeff wrote when it was finished: "The vitals of your danburite are: 9.1 mm in diameter and 3.82 ct. It is completely flawless and exhibits a very nice, brilliant flash. I believe you also wanted the measurements corner-to-corner? That comes to 10.1 mm."

I really want a setting worthy of this stone. Any ideas or pics would be appreciated. Thank you.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I'm just curious- are you going to try to pass it off as a diamond? Step cuts normally look smaller due to the cut but if I saw a 3+ ct asscher I would definitely notice it. I was just wondering if you are passing it off as a diamond or telling me it is just a colorless stone....sorry off topic- just curious I hope it didn't come off the wrong way.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to post options! Sorry!

LTP''s beautiful asscher engagment ring- bezel set:

LaurensRing11478.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
This is from Cartier

cartierasscher1248.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
How about a tapered baguette setting with a baguette on either side? That would be a very classic look.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 1:07:43 AM
Author: IndyLady
How about a tapered baguette setting with a baguette on either side? That would be a very classic look.
That was what I was going to say!

3 stone or 5 stone ring with step cut sides

ma re

Ideal_Rock
- baguettes down the middle of the shank on each side of the center stone
- four small square cut diamonds flush set on each side into the shank
- a line of squares on each side set across the shank, following the vertical sides of an asscher
- tiny round stones somehow set to "fill the corners" of an asscher (this one just hit me a minut ago, never actually saw it)
- a split shank ring with some small stone between the splits on each side

- if I come up with some more I''ll let you know
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how bout something similar to this? really looks like it could be a stand alone ring as well.

logrdtbaguette01.JPG

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I would put diamond sides next to the danburite center. How about sapphire tapered baguettes or trillions, and maybe some engraving on the shank?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re killing me here! I''d LOVE to see pics of this Danburite - especially one cut by JW!

So, in terms of settings, I love my larger asschers in the single tapered baguette setting sold by LOGR. I''d also absolutely love a 2.5 - 3mm pave shank akin to the Cartier 1895.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

LTP,

in the meantime, here is a pic of a danburite cut by peter toracca (the pic is his and does not do it justice)

it is gorgeous in real life, so much sparkle!

30.gif

Dan310_hand_sm.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 3:19:14 PM
Author: Kay
I don''t know if I would put diamond sides next to the danburite center. How about sapphire tapered baguettes or trillions, and maybe some engraving on the shank?
i would also be concerned about this.
i am excited to see your danburite -- i recently got a cushion that i had made into a pendant, and i love the look of it. pics really don''t do this species justice.
is anyone else concerned about durability? i thought the hardness of danburite was similar to aqua, which everyone seems to shy away from as an ering stone. i know you feel that you won''t wear it when you could bang it, but you''d be surprised at how many times a ring gets banged during the regular course of life. the night i got engaged i whacked it on the heavy door handle at a museum..but maybe its just me that finds opening doors a dangerous activity...
33.gif

crecchia

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for the input! Keep ''em coming.

Lauren, I have been lurking for months and love your collection! Amazing colors, always very tasteful.

mr. ma re, I must confess that I HOPED, and almost asked, for your ideas! You come up with some great perspectives and design ideas and I am always impressed with your advice. I am mulling over your list :)

Sarahbear: actually the Cartier was the one sparkler I thought about- just not sure what I think about that vs. all clear.

As for the diamond question- I had been looking at diamonds, and the Asscher kept catching my eye. This is not my first marriage/relationship, so I have had diamonds in the past and other rings, but the Asscher is something different for me. I am generally not attracted to angles at all. I got the danburite out of curiosity, thinking I’d have a nice ring out of it. In the meantime, I had been looking at diamonds and so I knew what they looked like in an Asscher cut. When I got the danburite, it was so drop dead gorgeous that I felt an obligation to treat it right. Except for hardness, it is not at all inferior to a diamond. The clarity, reflection, size—I am happy to use it as my ering.

I tend to look at stones this way, and probably a lot of you do also: whatever stones have the color and characteristics I am looking for, and a great cut, is going to make me happy. That the stone is expensive or not, or considered desirable is not something I consider. When you have done your research and realize that getting a well-cut stone and having it set is going to give you a knockout piece you love, I don’t even bother with what other people think. It has integrity and it is obvious.

No doubt people will assume it’s a diamond. If anyone asks I don’t mind explaining gemstones to them, though they most likely are not going to convert.

I think I will study my instruction manual for my camera and try to post some pics tomorrow eve.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''re not really into angles, maybe something like engravings could balance things out visually and make the ring "more you". Or you could set several small tapered baguettes on each side of the center stone, to form an arch (but I''m not sure if that''s really doable on this scale, it looks lovely in some antique brooches etc.). A good point was raised about the brilliance of stones that you''d combine, you should be really careful with diamonds, cause too many of them could certainly overshadow your danburite.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twinklestar, I also have a radient cut Danburite from Multicolour.com and I agree - they just sparkle like crazy!!!! Gotta keep em clean though....

Can''t wait to see the finished product!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results